The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 95 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #941 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 02:21 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Wow - this thread has taken a few twists and turns sometimes driven by those who want to see the science, the explanation or fact behind the observations. I am thankful for people like you because in total you have made this hobby possible for those of us who simply enjoy and feel or sense what - it is.

I have stood in my room and 'seen' an instrument that was right in front of my face and heard a voice that was behind me. It was just simply cool and I have no interest in trying to figure out how it is done or the 'why' of it. I don't question it but accept that others do and am glad for that.

I really enjoy this type of review and take it for what it is. A point in time comparison by well meaning folks I might want to have a beeer with sometime.

Great community here. It takes a village to make it so.

Theater -- Revel F52 and C32, B&W LM1, Lexicon MC1, McIntosh MC7106, Pioneer BD, Popcorn Hour, Direct TV, Panasonic Plasma

Two Channel -- Infinity Betas, RSIIa, McIntosh C2300, MC452, MC352, Shanling T-100MKIII, Sonos ZP90, Marantz SA8004, TT42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #942 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 03:06 PM
Senior Shackster

Jim

My System

Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
True but the best BBQ sauce comes from KC in a little joint called Gates
that might depend on your where sitting placement is in the back yard,temp,chicken beef or pork
post #943 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 04:22 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
True but the best BBQ sauce comes from KC in a little joint called Gates
Have had Gates BBQ many times, it is fine BBQ.

My first intro to really good BBQ was John Hardy's BBQ in Rochester, MN. John set the bar pretty high. Very smokey, falling off the bone, great tangy sauces.

Quote:
Macattack wrote: View Post
Wow - this thread has taken a few twists and turns sometimes driven by those who want to see the science, the explanation or fact behind the observations. I am thankful for people like you because in total you have made this hobby possible for those of us who simply enjoy and feel or sense what - it is.

I have stood in my room and 'seen' an instrument that was right in front of my face and heard a voice that was behind me. It was just simply cool and I have no interest in trying to figure out how it is done or the 'why' of it. I don't question it but accept that others do and am glad for that.

I really enjoy this type of review and take it for what it is. A point in time comparison by well meaning folks I might want to have a beeer with sometime.

Thanks for your support and your patience. We get sidetracked a little once in awhile, but our intentions are good. It is all about the movies and the music!
post #944 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 04:26 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Hey great write-ups to all the reviewers!

I must say that I was really excited to read about the Emerald Physics speakers and then pretty disappointed when they turned out to be nothing like I thought they'd be.

I'd love to hear some Paradigms in person someday. I've always read that they were great speakers but I guess the traditional look to them made me think they were nothing that special. After reading the reviews I feel a renewed interest.
post #945 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 04:33 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
Macattack wrote: View Post

Few are more interested in being able to quantify performance than Wayne. And he and I have very similar views in that way. It might seem unusual that we give such subjective impressions of the speakers. What we try to do is quantify anything we can that might be useful or meaningful, try to optimize the speaker position by relying on several different listener's observations, then try to relay our experience as best we can. Now that experience might not be useful or meaningful to some, nor is it in any way objective, but it is not meant to be. It is just that, our experience and opinion, and we don't pretend to be objective about it. In fact, we have been very open about our biases, priorities, and preferences.

What is amazing about humanity is that we can find value in both the objective and the subjective. Human perception and experience is some representation of reality, probably not particularly accurate in many ways, but we can express that experience in a manner that others can find value, information, or even joy. If we are successful, it is not because we mapped out every finite element of performance and quantified it, it is because we can give meaning and context to the experience of others.

The false dichotomy between objectivism and subjectivism may be fun to debate, and we may chase the dragon or grail of a truly objective reference to good purpose, but meaning and value require something more. It seems we hit the mark in these evaluations for many, and for that I am proud.

That said, knowing my partners in crime, we are never satisfied that we cannot do better. Or learn more. We share that journey here, and that is ultimately why we do it.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #946 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 04:38 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post
Hey great write-ups to all the reviewers!

I must say that I was really excited to read about the Emerald Physics speakers and then pretty disappointed when they turned out to be nothing like I thought they'd be.

I'd love to hear some Paradigms in person someday. I've always read that they were great speakers but I guess the traditional look to them made me think they were nothing that special. After reading the reviews I feel a renewed interest.
Thank you sincerely for the compliment.

I was hoping the EP would be more appealing to me as well. I just did not get a sense that the speaker works as a whole for me. It seems to have different character at different frequency ranges and levels. Not unpleasant, and certainly an intriguing listen, but it did not call for more listening for me.

Paradigm has certainly been a consistent performer for decades. They were no disappointment this time for sure. I slightly preferred the Dynaudio, but I could see how many would flip that preference around.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #947 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 04:39 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Sounds like the community here is begging for a BBQ shootout!

post #948 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 04:43 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
The false dichotomy between objectivism and subjectivism may be fun to debate, and we may chase the dragon or grail of a truly objective reference to good purpose, but meaning and value require something more. It seems we hit the mark in these evaluations for many, and for that I am proud.
Well said, Leonard. "Feet on the ground and head in the clouds."
post #949 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 08:44 PM
Senior Shackster

Rich

Just got a chance to read all of the reviews. Can I say thank you for doing this. I really enjoy reading this kind of stuff. Being in the middle of my HT build, this thread really helps me out as I still need front and center speakers.

This thread has changed my thinking about adding a front stage to my room. I really like the look but am now thinking about eliminating it because it limites what you can do with the room too much. Thanks again for this event.
post #950 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 08:53 PM
Senior Shackster

bundini

My System

I just want to extend my sincere thanks for all the work you guys have done. It is so refreshing to hear folks actual impressions of what they are hearing without a thousand different numbers to explain why they are hearing what they are. I realize numbers are important to make a decision to even audition a speaker, but hands on listening is what compels me to to persue a particular brand or model of speaker. I love your no nonsense approach and again commend you guys for bringing all of this to us folks who don't have the opportunity to go out and listen to as many speakers as possible. You guys are doing all the leg (EAR) work, this is priceless. Just because the ARX5 was so well received didn't change my opion or impressions of them, I really liked them the moment I brought them home and to have them mentioned in the company of some well known and very popular brands is just another feather in their cap. Thank you again my friends, well done. I am very proud to be a part of this family of folks who seek the truth without the perks to sway your impressions with so many others that do. Happy Happy Holidays to all.
Best Regards, Jeffrey