The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results - Page 11 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #101 of 158 Old 09-11-13, 10:34 PM
Shackster

My System
I was very disappointed to read that the HTD Level 3 speakers had a bad driver. I'm sure that could sour someone's impression of a company. However, one shouldn't let someone else's bad experience with a company deter them from hearing what they have to offer. I've been extremely satisfied with my dark cherry Level 3 bookshelves and black B stock center Level 3. What swayed me to try them was shipping for the two bookshelves was only $15 and they have a 30 day in home trial in which if you aren't satisfied, they will pay for you to ship them back. However, I didn't need that as I quickly realized how great the speakers sound. I've really been satisfied with my purchase through Home Theater Direct. It was a toss up between them and the Arx bookshelves, but I really liked the Dark Cherry finish on the HTD speakers. I too can't wait for the Level 3 tower review. Maybe someday I'll get those for my front LR and put the bookshelves to surround duty. Anyway, just thought I'd give my two cents on the Level 3 performance/quality matter. Loved the shoutout. Looking forward to the $2500 range shoutout as well.
-DB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 158 Old 09-11-13, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

Thanks for your comments on the HTD's. I believe they get shipped to Wayne tomorrow (or it may have been today). I really can't speak for him on his timeline, but I personally would like to see it published as soon as possible... hopefully in the next 3-4 weeks, if that is not rushing him too much.

I really hope no one holds the issue against HTD, as it can happen to anyone... and it could have been something in shipping that got damaged in some way, we just don't know yet. Maybe once they investigate it, they will let us know. Also keep in mind that those speakers were very good speakers even with the issue... and in the right room would no doubt be perfect for a LOT of people. I hate it especially because they are a sponsor, but when we do these evaluations, we have to look past that part of the equation when reporting what we test and hear, and be honest in our findings, whether it ultimately hurts us with a sponsor or not. I also do not believe our sponsors expect us to do anything but the right thing too, even as much as we all wish there was someway to make it go away. It was unfortunate, but perhaps redemption is coming with the review.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #103 of 158 Old 09-12-13, 07:26 AM
Shackster
Pilk

Thanks for the replies on the HTD's. I may wait for the follow up. However, I noticed the ML Motion 12's are selling at NewEgg for $599/pair shipped. Not the best price they've had (some managed to pick them up for under $500 shipped) but still a nice deal on speakers that seem to impress. So I wait for;
1. The ARX new center to come out and package up the A5's with it.
2 The follow up on the Level 3's.
3 Or the ML 12's to bottom out on price. I've got about a month before I can work on the HT.
post #104 of 158 Old 09-12-13, 07:27 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Thanks for your comments on the HTD's. I believe they get shipped to Wayne tomorrow (or it may have been today). I really can't speak for him on his timeline, but I personally would like to see it published as soon as possible... hopefully in the next 3-4 weeks, if that is not rushing him too much.

I really hope no one holds the issue against HTD, as it can happen to anyone... and it could have been something in shipping that got damaged in some way, we just don't know yet. Maybe once they investigate it, they will let us know. Also keep in mind that those speakers were very good speakers even with the issue... and in the right room would no doubt be perfect for a LOT of people. I hate it especially because they are a sponsor, but when we do these evaluations, we have to look past that part of the equation when reporting what we test and hear, and be honest in our findings, whether it ultimately hurts us with a sponsor or not. I also do not believe our sponsors expect us to do anything but the right thing too, even as much as we all wish there was someway to make it go away. It was unfortunate, but perhaps redemption is coming with the review.
If most folks saw what physically happens to these loudspeakers when they get shipped, they would blow a headgasket. It's absurd how roughly they are treated during transit from manufacturer to home. It truly could have happened to anybody.
post #105 of 158 Old 09-12-13, 07:32 AM
Senior Shackster
mjg100

Quote:
chaluga wrote: View Post
There is always a next model. If he listened to the lore s with seas drivers at 300 more it would.have made a difference . Im sure he could get a used pair for 1k. To me the cutoff is brand new from a site /store.
Not a valid argument. The Tekton's are already at street price. I agree used prices should not be considered. I agree on, "brand new from a site or a store." Finding new RF82's for below 1k from a dealer is not hard to do.
post #106 of 158 Old 09-12-13, 10:54 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Quote:
How do you get the 15% off... or is that for the B stock only?

I think there may be several of these that we want be able to evaluate simply because the manufacturer will not send them to us for review. Klipsch is one of those... I would have to buy them and then return them, which is what I did for the 62's. We couldn't get them to send us any subs for review or testing. For whatever reasons they don't think we are legit and more or less brush us off as a nuisance.
Put TV15 code in the shopping cart.
It is not a Klipsch specific deal as far as I know the code works for everything.
post #107 of 158 Old 09-12-13, 01:23 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
bibeed wrote: View Post
I was very disappointed to read that the HTD Level 3 speakers had a bad driver. I'm sure that could sour someone's impression of a company. However, one shouldn't let someone else's bad experience with a company deter them from hearing what they have to offer.
If someone has a bad experience with a company then it is a cause for concern, but I think in this case it may have been the shipping company -- and not HTD -- where the problem more than likely resulted from. Either way...

The LEVEL Two System I reviewed turned out to be a pleasant surprise. When doing an evaluation I always make comments and observations based upon the cost of the product; no sense comparing $500 speakers to $1000 ones. In that regard the HTD system fared very well. I can't speak for the Three System Wayne will review, but I would be surprised if he wasn't pleased with them. There's a lot of value in HTD's speakers.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #108 of 158 Old 09-12-13, 03:10 PM
Shackster
Chudik

Sonnie
Thanks for such analysis. It is great and a lot of information to read.
post #109 of 158 Old 09-12-13, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

You are quite welcome... glad you enjoyed it. Hope you enjoy the $2500 round as well.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #110 of 158 Old 09-13-13, 11:23 AM
Shackster

Quote:
...Note: There is a standing wave null in the room that caused a notch at 90 Hz in our measured curves for every speaker type, so make no assumptions about that particular area of a speaker's bass performance based on our data...
First, this is a great review and extremely impressive in its scope. Bravo.

The above described notch results from a room mode.

Only two known bass reproduction systems effectively solve bass modes throughout most of the room's entire volume. Also, these two systems are the only known solutions for bass timing errors resulting from modes. The two systems are called "Distributed Bass Array" and "Double Bass Array." These two systems require no acoustic treatment and no other after the fact help. The former requires little to no EQ, the latter no EQ.

EQ improves FR at certain locations while FR is made worse at other locations. EQ does not improve the worst defect resulting from modes, which is timing errors.