The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #121 of 158 Old 09-14-13, 07:47 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

Quote:
Jon Lane wrote: View Post
Oh, and about design I'd add that it's philosophy has as much or more to do with sonic signature than anything else, at least outside major parameters like bass extension and available power. Design is the intangible factor but determines nearly the entire personality of the speaker system. It's not uncommon to find so-called house sound shared across models, and in some cases, even brands. Individual drivers each have their sound but their system's personality is at least as important.
Thanks, Jon.

Do you have any shortcuts for evaluating the sound of a driver, other than building it up in an enclosure to hear?

And would you have expected more difference in sound between the dipole midrange (Motion 12) vs the direct-radiating midrange (A5)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 158 Old 09-14-13, 07:59 AM
Chane Music & Cinema

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Do you have any shortcuts for evaluating the sound of a driver, other than building it up in an enclosure to hear?
You can anticipate the driver's personality beforehand but in practice you'll know it well only after you play it.

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
And would you have expected more difference in sound between the dipole midrange (Motion 12) vs the direct-radiating midrange (A5)?
Not especially. In a large room and with the each driver covering just the middle of the range they don't have to sound distinctly different. The design tuning is still going to be as important a factor as any component or technique within it.

representing Chane Music & Cinema
post #123 of 158 Old 09-14-13, 10:45 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Remember, in Sonnie's room we were far from walls and the room is relatively large. In a more conventional room and placement, the dipole would likely sound more different.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #124 of 158 Old 09-14-13, 12:27 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Good point. Room and placement could have made all the difference.
post #125 of 158 Old 09-15-13, 10:00 PM
Shackster

Having gone back and reread the reviews and comments, I noticed that Eric/Tekton stated that the Lores were designed to be slightly "forward" in their presentation. I read that to mean "front row center" seating at a live music event. Assuming this is correct, it would be interesting to hear the reviewers thoughts about the seating positions that they experienced with the Arx, Logans and HTD's.
post #126 of 158 Old 09-15-13, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

We were all front row center with every speaker.

There are some who like that kind of forwardness... and some that don't. Those that don't can work with Eric to tame it... and then you have a speaker that would very possibly compete with the Arx and ML... for me anyway. If you like that kind of forwardness, you won't like the Arx or ML ... or any of the others we evaluated for that matter.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #127 of 158 Old 09-15-13, 10:56 PM
Shackster

My point was not so much where you guys sat...but how did the loudspeaker present. So I think your point is that the Lore is a little forward whereas the others are further back...or if the Lore is like sitting front row center, the others are more like 12 rows back center.

And I think your point was right on. Some listeners prefer the forward presentation, for them, the music is more alive and real. Others sometimes find the forward "voicing" too bright...which can sometimes be resolved with careful selection of the rest of the system vs modifying the loudspeaker.
post #128 of 158 Old 09-16-13, 11:26 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
RonN5 wrote: View Post
Having gone back and reread the reviews and comments, I noticed that Eric/Tekton stated that the Lores were designed to be slightly "forward" in their presentation. I read that to mean "front row center" seating at a live music event. Assuming this is correct, it would be interesting to hear the reviewers thoughts about the seating positions that they experienced with the Arx, Logans and HTD's
Yes, Eric even mentioned how much he has and still does enjoy concerts and live music venues and was influenced by that experience in his design of the Lore's. It is not unusual for audience members to pick their spot, when they can, based on sound quality, and some like the hotter sound in front of the stage mains, while others pick a cooler spot. It is less an issue if ear protection is in use, which I do religiously.

Quote:
RonN5 wrote: View Post
My point was not so much where you guys sat...but how did the loudspeaker present. So I think your point is that the Lore is a little forward whereas the others are further back...or if the Lore is like sitting front row center, the others are more like 12 rows back center.

And I think your point was right on. Some listeners prefer the forward presentation, for them, the music is more alive and real. Others sometimes find the forward "voicing" too bright...which can sometimes be resolved with careful selection of the rest of the system vs modifying the loudspeaker.
I had not thought of it in those terms, but I think your take on the matter is accurate. And, although some will take issue, i believe differences in individual hearing response can be a contributor. I have always shied away from a brighter midrange (1 to 4 KHz), and I do not mean big amounts of brighter. A rise of 1 dB that is two octaves wide contains a lot of energy with most program material, and that is about the amount of emphasis we are talking about with the Lore's (1-oct smoothed measurement).

In fact, I wonder if subtle hearing differences might be a contributor in a lot of speaker voicing preferences. No matter, those preference sure exist, and clearly translate to real-life listening experience, as you have suggested.
post #129 of 158 Old 09-16-13, 02:56 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Those who have been following the anticipated retesting of the HTD Level THREE Towers, I am starting a separate thread HERE so you can follow their progress.
post #130 of 158 Old 09-16-13, 08:44 PM
Shackster

I'd like to make another observation which may be helpful for future evaluations. I'm thinking that most listeners can't place loudspeakers 7-8 feet into their rooms. Or 5-6 feet from a side wall. Maybe in the future you could add a few sentences about the sound when placed 2-3 feet out vs your optimal position.
:
Also, I'm thinking that with towers, people may be listening 9-12 feet away and not semi near field at 7-8 feet

I realize that the possibilities are infinite...but any additional tweaks to your observations will be just that much more helpful to people.