The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #151 of 158 Old 12-02-13, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

The 99.25 is a bookshelf and ProAc does not care to participate, so neither of those will qualify for the $3,000 round.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 158 Old 12-03-13, 02:05 AM
Elite Shackster

Thanks Sonnie worth a try.
post #153 of 158 Old 12-15-13, 09:04 PM
Shackster

fun read. Im New here and was thinking Level 3 in my set up but now I will need to do more research on the Arx A5.

It will be 100% use in the Watching Film ...so I need to see what fits best as a whole with both floor speakers and center combined.
post #154 of 158 Old 12-16-13, 08:18 PM
FinkPR

I have always found Vandersteen's to sound best when facing directly forward having your ear placed 30 degrees off axis essentially. With your excessive toe in they will sound rather beamy and their naturally large sound stage will be lost. Also forgetting the fact they were placed on casters is not as big of a deal as if you did not tilt them back correctly (I do not remember seeing you mention about their tilt). They are a time and phase aligned speaker and your ear needs to be in the proper window. Most all other speakers except Thiel don't necessarily need to be tilted. Perhaps this was not the result of giving up to early, but rather just missing an extra step that time and phase aligned speakers need. I am a dealer for Klipsch, Magnepan, Vandersteen, KEF, and others. Vandersteen's do need to be setup correctly, however, when they are they will do magic. Don't give up on them yet. Thanks. Paul.
post #155 of 158 Old 12-16-13, 10:15 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Actually, we did start with them positioned parallel to the front wall and tried many orientations. The one we ended up with was where we got the best soundstage. I am also quite familiar with the Vandersteens and was hoping for more out of them. The sad reality is that the others speakers just outperformed them in many ways. We did not give up on them. On the contrary, we spend probably more time on getting them into the best position than anything other than the Magnepans.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #156 of 158 Old 02-28-14, 04:20 PM
Shackster

Nice review, quite thorough and helpful. Keep it guys!
post #157 of 158 Old 02-28-14, 09:58 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
tonyFd wrote: View Post
Nice review, quite thorough and helpful. Keep it guys!
They're great aren't they? Check out the $2500 event (held a few months ago) and the just-completed but yet to be written $3000 event. Both in the Home audio speaker section I think.
post #158 of 158 Old 03-06-14, 04:24 PM
wuboyblue

I pretty much agree, as I own the RF/RC-62 series. I also own BIC FH-6Ts and FHC-LCR center, both do about as well for the two types of listening I do, Jazz and Movies, two very different forums. The two way horn design although antithetical to PWK gospel has worked out pretty well. Originally the RF-62's replaced a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's, which now live in the cat's room (a large room he shares with us), the 62's were promoted to living room use, which is about 30' x 20' and they handle a non corner placement very well.

Personally I like the RF-62's they are very livable and just plain agreeable, even to the GF's occasional head banger stuff. The BIC's are really pretty close in performance and because they cost so much less we also bought a subwoofer, the results are impressive. Both Klipsch and BIC have a following in the theater and PA business so efficient systems with a good sound stage are no surprise. It's funny, when I bought my Chorus II's they were around $1800 a pair and the RF/RC-62 system puts it to shame, not suffering from the horn malady, the BIC system also a horn loaded, two way system also put the Chorus II's to shame. I hate to say it, but long live the current Klipsch design team and all who steal ideas from them.