The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

Yeah... we should have a full 5 channel Pendragon system for the review, not sure about subs. They will get at least 50 hours of break-in prior to testing or evaluation. They will also be hooked up to my Denon 4520 for the home theater portion of the review, so they will get Audyssey treatment as well.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 02:59 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
So 1 for 2 eh?

I didn't fare much better; I thought the ML's would be first, then either the A5 or Focal () second. Good thing I opted not to vote...
I came this close >< to buying the A5, A2 center and A1 surrounds, but went another direction. Perhaps I'll still get the A5 for 2 channel, or wait for the next big thing from Arx, like maybe a line array? But the A5 is such a value, not sure I'd need more than that.

The Klipsch was a surprising contender. I like horns done well and it was nice to see them make good account of themselves.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #33 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 03:15 PM
Banned!

I wouldn't change what I have now but if I was shopping for a new system I'd probably go arx
post #34 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 03:39 PM
Banned!
Chad

My System

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
I came this close >< to buying the A5, A2 center and A1 surrounds, but went another direction. Perhaps I'll still get the A5 for 2 channel, or wait for the next big thing from Arx, like maybe a line array? But the A5 is such a value, not sure I'd need more than that.
Perhaps we can bug Jon about a larger A5 tower. I've brought it up in conversations with him on some other forums about a possible A7? tower using a MTM top with the planar and two A5 midranges and either triple 6.5" woofers or a pair of 8" woofers.

I brought up to him that the A5 is great at $749, I wonder what he could do with a $1200-1600 tower.
post #35 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 03:40 PM
Shackster

My System

Awesome job and thanks for the great write up. This is my first post over here, but I have been over at AVS and AH for awhile. Congrats on your new Arx speakers.
post #36 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 03:48 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Yeah... I really wish we had more time with the Lore's, but Eric just could not get them to us any sooner.

I am looking forward to the Pendragons being in my home theater system for a review... and being a part of our $2,500 two-channel speaker evaluation event.
Would be great if you demo’d their new 18” subs with the entire system instead of the dual 12” subs
post #37 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 04:01 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Well done.
Perhaps the best shoot out write up I have ever read.
I just wish I had guessed better so I had a chance at the $$.
Good luck to the 19 people that chose wisely.
post #38 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 07:12 PM
Shackster

Hi Sonnie

Do you have a list ranking the speakers from 1-8, with the Arx being in first place? I understand if you don't want to go there and just leave the listening impressions as is. Fantastic job BTW. I must have checked for the results at least 10 time Saturday.
post #39 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 07:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Thanks for the stellar work guys what a great read.
post #40 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 07:47 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
gtpsuper24 wrote: View Post
Perhaps we can bug Jon about a larger A5 tower. I've brought it up in conversations with him on some other forums about a possible A7? tower using a MTM top with the planar and two A5 midranges and either triple 6.5" woofers or a pair of 8" woofers.

I brought up to him that the A5 is great at $749, I wonder what he could do with a $1200-1600 tower.
That sounds like a winner, Chad. I was one of those that bugged Jon about producing the A5, an A6 and/or A7 would be sweet (are you listening, Jon? )! I'm an SPL freak and like that extra 3-5 dB over what "normal" people listen to. It is actually hard to find good sounding speakers comfortable playing over 95 dB peak at the listening position, spreading the load over multiple drivers would help.

I haven't heard what the A5 can do (wanted to attend this shootout sooo bad, but couldn't take off work ). But I think a line array with multiple planars and and midbasses would be very interesting.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks