The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

Quote:
gtpsuper24 wrote: View Post
Perhaps we can bug Jon about a larger A5 tower. I've brought it up in conversations with him on some other forums about a possible A7? tower using a MTM top with the planar and two A5 midranges and either triple 6.5" woofers or a pair of 8" woofers.

I brought up to him that the A5 is great at $749, I wonder what he could do with a $1200-1600 tower.
I am all over that... it would no doubt be an awesome speaker that would probably give $3,000 speakers a run. I really hope he does something along those lines. I will fell more comfortable with those as part of a home theater system in a room as big as mine... then I could just move the mains out for two-channel listening.

Quote:
Chayne1 wrote: View Post
Would be great if you demo’d their new 18” subs with the entire system instead of the dual 12” subs
I hope he will send us a couple of the 18's too, but not sure how feasible it will be shipping all those heavy speakers. He will certainly get a lot of bang from a review coming from us... I would say a LOT more mileage than the reviews he has gotten thus far.

Quote:
Chayne1 wrote: View Post
Hi Sonnie

Do you have a list ranking the speakers from 1-8, with the Arx being in first place? I understand if you don't want to go there and just leave the listening impressions as is. Fantastic job BTW. I must have checked for the results at least 10 time Saturday.
Well... that is one thing I promised the manufacturers I would not do, so I need to stick with my promise. It is pretty obvious which ones were the top two, but from there... we all had different favorites, so I am not sure there would as much of a consensus on the overall rankings... likely not.

Another thing too... if we sent these speakers to someone with a different setup and more limitations with space... or perhaps had to place them in a great room where the WAF came into play, that might very well change the ranking. I believe it is all subjective due to peoples different setups, desires and preferences.

I understand one fellow sent his HTD THREE's back because he thought they were a bit bass shy... while all of us on the panel thought they would fair much better if the bass were dialed back a notch. Of course the bass shyness that the other guy experienced may have been due to limited placement... we don't know.

Either way, it really comes down to personal taste. I was somewhat surprised at how well we on the panel agreed on so many aspects of what we thought made great sound... and what sounded good. It may be the exception rather than the rule, I am not sure. I know when Joe and I go into the various rooms at these shows, we don't always walk out agreeing, some we do (probably most)... some we don't... all a matter of our tastes and preferences. Some of our senses are similar, some are not.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I am sure I will say it more than once, but thanks to everyone for being appreciative of what we have done. It really does make us want to do more of these same events and get even better at what we do.

We learned a LOT just from this one experience that will help us on the next event, although everything about the whole process takes time and we certainly do not want to rush it. Thank you for your patience.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #43 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 09:14 PM
Shackster

Congratulations on what is a great writeup that was fun to follow. Looking forward to more of them.

I did find the Tekton Lore's a little harsh in the upper mid-range when turning up the volume.
With the help/guidance from Eric I ordered some Caps and resistors. I put them in and it has made all the difference. I can now turn them up very loud with no harsh effects.

I posted this on a Aussie forum and someone mentioned the change I was doing was, I quote "This is called a zobel, and counters the rising impedance of the driver at high frequencies."
It worked great.
post #44 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 09:16 PM
Senior Shackster

I really enjoyed reading the $1000 evaluation results and am looking forward to reading about the $2500 speaker evaluation.

The downside is these evaluations make me want to buy new speakers I don't need!
post #45 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 09:32 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
rocky500 wrote: View Post
I did find the Tekton Lore's a little harsh, peaky in the upper mid-range when turning up the volume. With the help/guidance from Eric I ordered some Caps and resistors. I put them in and it has made all the difference. I can now turn them up very loud with no harsh effects.
You had to modify your own speakers in order to get them to work properly? Interesting way for them to handle the situation.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #46 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 09:53 PM
Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
You had to modify your own speakers in order to get them to work properly? Interesting way for them to handle the situation.
I posted in a forum where others had the same speakers and I seemed to be the only one that found them to be a little this way.
So contacted Eric and asked if there was anything I could try changing myself as I am in Australia and I had modded some speakers before. He mentioned I could try the Zobel on them to see if it may help my situation.
I thought it may be the tweeter but after a discussion with Eric with what I was hearing he thought it may be the upper mid-range and was correct. Could be my hearing is sensitive in this area?
Quite a few speakers can make me wince a bit when the volume goes up.
post #47 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

That is actually pretty neat that the manufacturer was that helpful. Maybe with different amps they sound different... tailor them to your liking if you are technically savvy enough to handle the details.

He could have sent them back during the trial period, but if I liked everything else about the speaker and really wanted to keep them, I would not want to ship them back to the manufacturer and risk shipping damage and having to file a claim and then the waiting for a replacement... etc. The in-home fix seems very reasonable.

Cedar Creek Cinema

post #48 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 10:15 PM
Shackster

It was the same with some Australian speakers that I brought and it was great to be able to chat to the designer who gave me some guidance to things I could try.
Both speakers I found excellent but with just a little change to them both they suited me even better.
post #49 of 158 Old 09-08-13, 11:23 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
I'm an SPL freak and like that extra 3-5 dB over what "normal" people listen to. It is actually hard to find good sounding speakers comfortable playing over 95 dB peak at the listening position, spreading the load over multiple drivers would help.
I may have missed it and I'm not sure if the A5s had the c version or third generation planar that I believe has more headroom than the prior generation?

I'm also sure that Jon would listen to suggestions and there is a thread on the TAI forum about the future of Arx speakers. If I recall correctly, there is a post by Colin (Buford) on how the A5s came to be (from his "pestering" Jon on creating the A5s) and the support of the Arx community on the first group buy. Also, the slim line array concept is one of the topics of discussion.
post #50 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 07:30 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

What a cool thread, Sonnie! Was a joy to read... I'm very curious about A5's... I wonder how they would sound paired with their center and surrounds for a HT set-up?