The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 07:40 AM
Shackster
Pilk

Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

Very interesting read...glad I caught it. I was going to order a LRC this AM and saw this last night. Needless to say...my plans have changed. Save a little money to boot. Any comments on the center offerering from ARX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 08:08 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Pilk wrote: View Post
Any comments on the center offerering from ARX?
I did a review on the Arx speakers a few months back, and the center was part of the system I had. You can check out this link for the review.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #53 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 08:58 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Great job guys!

I look forward to the next part of this journey going into the next price range.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #54 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 10:16 AM
Banned!
Chad

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I'm very curious about A5's... I wonder how they would sound paired with their center and surrounds for a HT set-up?
Quote:
Pilk wrote: View Post
Very interesting read...glad I caught it. I was going to order a LRC this AM and saw this last night. Needless to say...my plans have changed. Save a little money to boot. Any comments on the center offerering from ARX?
The A2 center is a very nice LCR speaker. I've been running the A5 and A2 as LCR for the last year and they blend together nicely. The new A2rxc center is suppose to be improved much more especially in the tweeter with improved power handling. I replaced the Axiom VP150 (400.00) with the A2 (189.00) and its been fantastic. Crossed at 80hrz it has no problems keeping up with the A5s.

A nice budget system would be the A2 as mains vertical and center used with A1b surrounds.
post #55 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 11:20 AM
Senior Shackster

Rich

Wow! No wonder it took you guys a little bit of time to get the results up. I bet you are a bit tired from the evaluation. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Not having the means to test speakers like you did, I really enjoy reading your reviews on each speaker. I still need front and center speakers for my HT and your reviews really help me out before spending my money. I never would have thought that nor heard of ARX speakers before this. At their price point, I may just have to pull the trigger and get some. I am curious as to how they compare to your $2500 speakers. I cant wait.

One maybe stupid question. Forgive my ignorance. Are you going to leave the speakers in the room where the sweet spot is?

Thanks again for doing this for us.
post #56 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
Sunlesstrawhat wrote: View Post
I may have missed it and I'm not sure if the A5s had the c version or third generation planar that I believe has more headroom than the prior generation?
I am not sure on this. I would have to defer to Jon for an answer.

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
What a cool thread, Sonnie! Was a joy to read... I'm very curious about A5's... I wonder how they would sound paired with their center and surrounds for a HT set-up?
I think they would be fine in a smaller HT. I am not sure about the other speakers (mainly the center) in a larger room like mine, but they all might be just fine crossed over at 80Hz anyway.

Quote:
Greenster wrote: View Post
Are you going to leave the speakers in the room where the sweet spot is?
I have the sweet spot marked and the measurements memorized. They will be moved out of the way and to the sides for HT, but in the sweet spot for music listening.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #57 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 12:22 PM
Shackster

Based on the frequency response, it seems a little odd that the Lores would be bright or harsh.

What I noticed on my own lores was that that the "just out of the boxes to 50 hour sound" had a little more high end emphasis...but not bright or harsh...then as the 10" eminence drivers broke in....around 100-150 hours, the mid range filled out, the tonal balance was better, the bass went deeper and the soundstage became even bigger. But never was the music bright or harsh, no matter how loud the volume was turned up.

From a reference standpoint, I'm using an Oppo 103 into a Parasound 2100 into a Crown Drivecore 2000.
post #58 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 12:52 PM
Shackster

My System
Thumbs up Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

Quote:
I may have missed it and I'm not sure if the A5s had the c version or third generation planar that I believe has more headroom than the prior generation?

I'm also sure that Jon would listen to suggestions and there is a thread on the TAI forum about the future of Arx speakers. If I recall correctly, there is a post by Colin (Buford) on how the A5s came to be (from his "pestering" Jon on creating the A5s) and the support of the Arx community on the first group buy. Also, the slim line array concept is one of the topics of discussion.
I can't say too much about the line arrays....but numbers are being crunched....pictures drawn on napkins....and plenty of chalk on the chalkboard for a line array.

Yes, I was the one who begged Jon to build the A5s. I feel very validated that Sonnie, Wayne, Leonard, and Quentin all had very similar experiences to what Jon and I wanted to craft as the signature sonic character of the A5s. Detail without harshness. Delicacy with plenty of output. A large soundstage with excellent imaging...and well-damped, accurate bass. Speakers that disappeared into the room, behind a wall of sound.

Those are all phrases and adjectives that I used to describe both what I wanted in emails and phone calls with Jon and also in public posts on multiple forums of what I heard after I got the prototypes into my listening space. I am glad that those design goals have been met. They were conceived as being part of the Arx lineup from the beginning, but our intent was to craft a pair of two-channel focused loudspeakers that could easily be used as a HT solution as well. We have been unashamed that our aim and goal was two channel excellence, so I'm very happy to see that they performed well for everybody who heard them...especially in the face of some VERY stiff and respectable competition. I'm sure Jon feels the same.

Wait until you hear them with 25 hours on them or more. Trust me on that.

Thanks to Chad and the rest who voted for them in the poll. I stayed-out because, frankly, I think I'm a little too biased and too close to the "A5 project" to participate in that poll. Also congrats to gorb on your win of the cash prize!

-Collin
post #59 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 01:45 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Thanks! I bought an engagement ring recently, so it'll be a credit card payment.

And thanks to HTS of course for holding the contest and offering the prize in the first place
post #60 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 01:51 PM
Chane Music & Cinema

Quote:
gtpsuper24 wrote: View Post
Perhaps we can bug Jon about a larger A5 tower. I've brought it up in conversations with him on some other forums about a possible A7? tower using a MTM top with the planar and two A5 midranges and either triple 6.5" woofers or a pair of 8" woofers.

I brought up to him that the A5 is great at $749, I wonder what he could do with a $1200-1600 tower.
Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
That sounds like a winner, Chad. I was one of those that bugged Jon about producing the A5, an A6 and/or A7 would be sweet (are you listening, Jon? )! I'm an SPL freak and like that extra 3-5 dB over what "normal" people listen to. It is actually hard to find good sounding speakers comfortable playing over 95 dB peak at the listening position, spreading the load over multiple drivers would help.

I haven't heard what the A5 can do (wanted to attend this shootout sooo bad, but couldn't take off work ). But I think a line array with multiple planars and and midbasses would be very interesting.
Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I am all over that... it would no doubt be an awesome speaker that would probably give $3,000 speakers a run. I really hope he does something along those lines. I will fell more comfortable with those as part of a home theater system in a room as big as mine... then I could just move the mains out for two-channel listening.
Quote:

Also, the slim line array concept is one of the topics of discussion.
The 3rd gen tweeter appears in the upcoming A2rx-c and A3rx-c, arriving October after way too many month's delay in incorporating their upgrades. (Sonically I happen to find these two models quite interesting.)

Nobody hold me to this as a committed product, but I can say that an A7 is on my desk right now, as is the LCR/MTM A6 mentioned in our forum. Naturally we'll announce these models as soon as we feel comfortable doing so.

The line array product is also proceeding, as far as I can tell. It's in prototyping and barring it not being feasible in some way in its current trim, we'd love to leak the specs and drop a few early production pairs out here and there yet this Fall.