The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 03:19 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

Quote:
BufordTJustice wrote: View Post
Yes, I was the one who begged Jon to build the A5s. I feel very validated that Sonnie, Wayne, Leonard, and Quentin all had very similar experiences to what Jon and I wanted to craft as the signature sonic character of the A5s. Detail without harshness. Delicacy with plenty of output. A large soundstage with excellent imaging...and well-damped, accurate bass. Speakers that disappeared into the room, behind a wall of sound.

-Collin
I think it is fair to say that you accomplished what you were after, Collin. I have no doubt that the speakers will perform superbly in a home theater application as well. Trust me, there were no softballs thrown here. We put these speakers to the test and made them have to perform, which they did quite nicely. I hope that you have some design principles that correlate with these outcomes and that this was not just a fortuitous outcome. If so, you are sure to come up with some interesting products in the future.

Well done.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
BufordTJustice wrote: View Post
I can't say too much about the line arrays....but numbers are being crunched....pictures drawn on napkins....and plenty of chalk on the chalkboard for a line array.

Yes, I was the one who begged Jon to build the A5s. I feel very validated that Sonnie, Wayne, Leonard, and Quentin all had very similar experiences to what Jon and I wanted to craft as the signature sonic character of the A5s. Detail without harshness. Delicacy with plenty of output. A large soundstage with excellent imaging...and well-damped, accurate bass. Speakers that disappeared into the room, behind a wall of sound.

Those are all phrases and adjectives that I used to describe both what I wanted in emails and phone calls with Jon and also in public posts on multiple forums of what I heard after I got the prototypes into my listening space. I am glad that those design goals have been met. They were conceived as being part of the Arx lineup from the beginning, but our intent was to craft a pair of two-channel focused loudspeakers that could easily be used as a HT solution as well. We have been unashamed that our aim and goal was two channel excellence, so I'm very happy to see that they performed well for everybody who heard them...especially in the face of some VERY stiff and respectable competition. I'm sure Jon feels the same.

Wait until you hear them with 25 hours on them or more. Trust me on that.

Thanks to Chad and the rest who voted for them in the poll. I stayed-out because, frankly, I think I'm a little too biased and too close to the "A5 project" to participate in that poll. Also congrats to gorb on your win of the cash prize!

-Collin
You guys did an awesome job ... at an unheard of price point too.

We had over 50 hours on them at the evaluation... and now they have about 150 hours on them. I have been doing a LOT of listening.

Quote:
gorb wrote: View Post
Thanks! I bought an engagement ring recently, so it'll be a credit card payment.

And thanks to HTS of course for holding the contest and offering the prize in the first place
Congratulations!

Quote:
Jon Lane wrote: View Post
The 3rd gen tweeter appears in the upcoming A2rx-c and A3rx-c, arriving October after way too many month's delay in incorporating their upgrades. (Sonically I happen to find these two models quite interesting.)

Nobody hold me to this as a committed product, but I can say that an A7 is on my desk right now, as is the LCR/MTM A6 mentioned in our forum. Naturally we'll announce these models as soon as we feel comfortable doing so.

The line array product is also proceeding, as far as I can tell. It's in prototyping and barring it not being feasible in some way in its current trim, we'd love to leak the specs and drop a few early production pairs out here and there yet this Fall.
Looking forward to perhaps being a guinea pig on those 7's.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #63 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 03:26 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I think they would be fine in a smaller HT. I am not sure about the other speakers (mainly the center) in a larger room like mine, but they all might be just fine crossed over at 80Hz anyway.
Of course, considering your HT system, the bar is pretty high. I think most of us could easily live with them in that sized room with a sub or two.

In fact, I would actually love to hear a full Arx HT setup in that room with your existing subs.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #64 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 03:33 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Hopefully soon ill be able to buy a pair A1bs to make my HT 7.2
post #65 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 03:34 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Quote:
RonN5 wrote: View Post
Based on the frequency response, it seems a little odd that the Lores would be bright or harsh.

What I noticed on my own lores was that that the "just out of the boxes to 50 hour sound" had a little more high end emphasis...but not bright or harsh...then as the 10" eminence drivers broke in....around 100-150 hours, the mid range filled out, the tonal balance was better, the bass went deeper and the soundstage became even bigger. But never was the music bright or harsh, no matter how loud the volume was turned up.

From a reference standpoint, I'm using an Oppo 103 into a Parasound 2100 into a Crown Drivecore 2000.
As much as an objectivist as I tend to be, with speakers, there is certainly more to the sound than frequency response alone reveals. Different drivers with the same frequency response can have quite different character, just like two musical instruments can produce the same notes but sound very different. There are differences in the amount and type of distortion, harmonic behavior, as well as the interaction between drivers and crossover behavior.

Also, keep in mind that the differences that we reported were relatively small and that the Lore was very much appreciated by all of us. There is a lot to like about them. I tend to feel that the tweeter type has much to do with why we favored the Arx, however.

post #66 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 03:47 PM
Shackster
Pilk

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I did a review on the Arx speakers a few months back, and the center was part of the system I had. You can check out this link for the review.
Thanks for the link.
post #67 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 04:21 PM
Chane Music & Cinema

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I hope that you have some design principles that correlate with these outcomes and that this was not just a fortuitous outcome. If so, you are sure to come up with some interesting products in the future.
Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
As much as an objectivist as I tend to be, with speakers, there is certainly more to the sound than frequency response alone reveals. Different drivers with the same frequency response can have quite different character [...] There are differences in the amount and type of distortion, harmonic behavior, as well as the interaction between drivers and crossover behavior. [...] I tend to feel that the tweeter type has much to do with why we favored the Arx, however.
That's astute, Icaillo. I can answer that the A5 is the product of a purposeful philosophy in which driver combinations and their transfer functions are most important. Types are too but they must be woven together well.

Systems sound different for important reasons that just don't show up in the theory, the specs, or the measurements. I happen to believe that the advent of more formulaic, even corporatized design and product engineering has not well served the user. In fact friends and I tend to feel that in places it's has given us an audio dark ages at the same time as knowledge about the field has expanded.

This should not be so.

The trick to good sound is summed up in the combination of low distortion and fine attention to design - meaning, not necessarily in abstract, theoretical engineering. Those two ideals are intangibles yet they inform the basis of better sounding systems across audio. I think we're hearing them in our preferred speaker systems while not always finding theoretically better components adhering to narrow "rules" inherently musical.

There is no reliable, hierarchal, and universally accessible list of does and don'ts that defines good sound. Good sound is an art that employs the sciences and is not bound to respond to what's commonly said to work.
post #68 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 04:45 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Looking forward to perhaps being a guinea pig on those 7's.
I call dibs!

Seriously though, I commend each of you guys for the amount of work you put into this evaluation, and each and every one of us appreciates it. I hope to be part of the next one!

I saw Sonnie mention it earlier, and I wanted to reiterate - most of the time, we do come out of a room at a show with similar thoughts on the setup, but there have been a few that we hear differently.
post #69 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 05:00 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Congratulations!
Thank you!
post #70 of 158 Old 09-09-13, 05:11 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

John Lane wrote:

Quote:
Nobody hold me to this as a committed product, but I can say that an A7 is on my desk right now, as is the LCR/MTM A6 mentioned in our forum. Naturally we'll announce these models as soon as we feel comfortable doing so.
I remember way back when this shootout first started & Sonnie making the comment that the A5's might not make it in. I encouraged him to call John in hopes of working it out. I absolutley love these tweeters & wanted to hear them in particular...truely impressive speakers.

Now I'm encouraging getting a set for the next shootout. If you stay true to form, these just may be my next speakers. I'm in the market for a 7.0 set soon.

Consider them called out !