The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 158 Old 09-10-13, 10:55 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
ARX for life!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 158 Old 09-10-13, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

Quote:
mjg100 wrote: View Post
I have one question and it may have been addressed in the thread. Some of the speakers in the shootout sell direct and that means their price is street price. Many of the other speakers are sold through dealers and have a MSRP that is much higher than street price. For example, Klipsch RF-82 II's can easily be found for less than 1K. Makes me wonder how the RF-82's would have compared to the direct selling speakers.
The issue we have with a dealer or etailer who is selling them for less than MSRP is getting a loaner from them for evaluation. I could not even get Klipsch to send me a pair for evaluation, much less any of their etailers selling them for less than MSRP. I was left with the only option of buying from their website at the $1,000 price point. That way if I did not choose them, I was able to send them back on their dime. ListenUP had a deal going where they paid for return shipping on the Focals, so we were able to take advantage of the discount from that etailier. I had to outright buy the Magnepans, Vandersteens and MartinLogans (and the ML's were new). We won't do this again. We will only do the evaluation on new speakers that are sent to us from the manufacturer or a dealer. The only speakers we were able to get at no cost were the Arx and the HTD, both sponsors here at HTS... and the Tekton's from Eric. Of course I did end up purchasing the Arx from Jon, but we returned the THREE's to HTD. They are sending a new pair to Wayne for a full review.

This event was probably a little different than what I think a normal event would be, in that these were all speakers that I personally was interested in trying out for myself. for the next events, the speakers we choose may not necessarily be what I would consider purchasing for myself, although who knows what might happen. Our initial intent will simply to be evaluate 5-6 speakers in basically the same format, but not necessarily with the intent of me buying any for myself. We may all have favorites, but we will not rank them in any overall order. We may have a voting poll for ones we choose as our favorites... just not sure yet how that will work yet.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #83 of 158 Old 09-10-13, 12:22 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Quote:
gtpsuper24 wrote: View Post
Other than the bass extension and output I don't the the 82s would be much better than the 62s.
I disagree.
The RF-82 has a fuller smoother sound than the RF-62.
My bet is 10 out of 10 would pick the RF-82 over the RF-62 in a double blind listening test.
post #84 of 158 Old 09-10-13, 01:20 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Given that you will not be keeping the $2,500 speakers, does the same rule apply as to the finish? If we are not limited to the non-sheen black, it seems like that would open up a few more options.
post #85 of 158 Old 09-10-13, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Yes... just in case I do decide to keep a pair.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #86 of 158 Old 09-10-13, 04:19 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Thanks for all of your hard work putting this evaluation together. It has been an interesting and enlightening read and I'm very much looking forward to the $2,500 shootout!
post #87 of 158 Old 09-10-13, 06:32 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Sonnie wrote:

Quote:
Yes... just in case I do decide to keep a pair.

Boy howdy, that just about sums up our hobby. Always liking something a bit better!

I bet I'll be liking something soon as well.
post #88 of 158 Old 09-10-13, 07:03 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
I disagree.
The RF-82 has a fuller smoother sound than the RF-62.
My bet is 10 out of 10 would pick the RF-82 over the RF-62 in a double blind listening test.
+1 - I have heard both in the same space and the RF-82 was noticeably better.....
post #89 of 158 Old 09-10-13, 07:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post

+1 - I have heard both in the same space and the RF-82 was noticeably better.....
No comparison here. The RF-82 ii's are considerably better than the RF-62 ii's. You get another considerable jump when going from 82's to RF-7's.
post #90 of 158 Old 09-10-13, 07:41 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
No comparison here. The RF-82 ii's are considerably better than the RF-62 ii's. You get another considerable jump when going from 82's to RF-7's.
Agreed