The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 15 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #141 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 10:29 AM
Shackster

Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Looks like a lot of thought went into this and I will spend some time going through the whole thread for details, but I came up with a question pretty quickly.

Yuri Honig Trio's Walking on the Moon is a piece that I use for evaluation as well (although apparently looking for different things than the reviewers) and looked at the comments on how it was perceived and I became confused.....

Is there more than 1 version of this?

I'm familiar with a Saxophone version and kept seeing comments about the Trumpet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 10:31 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Great job on the Phase Tech review guys! My taste in music leans toward vocals, and especially female vocals, as well as piano and percussive instruments. My experience with this speaker at RMAF, particularly with vocals and delicate percussion, lines up pretty well with your observations. This probably explains why I like the speaker so much. It was interesting that Joe thought for vocals it sounded almost like a ribbon tweeter.

How often is it that the speaker position that offers the best imaging and soundstaging characteristics also exhibits the best low-frequency performance? Like, never! While reading Wayne's comments, I kept wondering what would happen to the low-frequency anomalies you experienced if a little EQ were applied. I'm glad you guys went ahead and did a little testing with Audyssey for all the speakers, and it sounds like that pretty well took care of the bottom end nicely. Is that a fair assessment of your experience?

I suspect you found low frequency improvement in all the speakers with Audyssey, and that it was by far the most beneficial change.
post #143 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 10:53 AM

Nice job guys, your speaker reviews are excellent IMHO. I have two pair of Ascend Towers w/RAALs, one of which will be used as surrounds when I finish a dedicated A/V space. I sure wish I had made plans to get a pair out to you folks for evaluation purposes. I don't know how Joe got out there, if he drove he could have picked them up from me, I'm in Northern IL. In fact, I met Joe at one of the SE WI GTGs at Terry's place.

In any case, if we can make arrangements, and you'd be interested in reviewing a pair of Ascend Towers in the near future, I'm game.

Jay
post #144 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Great job on the Phase Tech review guys! My taste in music leans toward vocals, and especially female vocals, as well as piano and percussive instruments. My experience with this speaker at RMAF, particularly with vocals and delicate percussion, lines up pretty well with your observations. This probably explains why I like the speaker so much. It was interesting that Joe thought for vocals it sounded almost like a ribbon tweeter.

How often is it that the speaker position that offers the best imaging and soundstaging characteristics also exhibits the best low-frequency performance? Like, never! While reading Wayne's comments, I kept wondering what would happen to the low-frequency anomalies you experienced if a little EQ were applied. I'm glad you guys went ahead and did a little testing with Audyssey for all the speakers, and it sounds like that pretty well took care of the bottom end nicely. Is that a fair assessment of your experience?

I suspect you found low frequency improvement in all the speakers with Audyssey, and that it was by far the most beneficial change.
That is pretty accurate. At home when I have more time with a speaker setup, it is fun to see how little EQ is needed, using parametric EQ, to tame the response. A soundstage (SS) is a terrible thing to waste, and it seems the better it is the more delicate it is and the easier it can be disrupted. Often only a few bands is all it takes:
  • A HF shelf to lift the HF droop from off-axis listening position
  • One or two broad bands to tame the overall profile of LF room effects
Right now a setup at home is giving killer results with only 3 bands of correction (foobar2000 + VST Wrapper + PEQ plugin).
It is actually quite impressive that Audyssey MultEQ can even out a speaker's response without destroying SS/imaging, can even improve them sometimes. And it is so easy.

Naysayers will insist that correction drains the life out of the sound, and I will agree that a supersoundstage (SSS) might be disrupted by anything but the more sparing correcting, but for 99% of applications MultEQ or PEQ can give fantastic results.
post #145 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
petmotel wrote: View Post
Nice job guys, your speaker reviews are excellent IMHO. I have two pair of Ascend Towers w/RAALs, one of which will be used as surrounds when I finish a dedicated A/V space. I sure wish I had made plans to get a pair out to you folks for evaluation purposes. I don't know how Joe got out there, if he drove he could have picked them up from me, I'm in Northern IL. In fact, I met Joe at one of the SE WI GTGs at Terry's place.

In any case, if we can make arrangements, and you'd be interested in reviewing a pair of Ascend Towers in the near future, I'm game.

Jay
Good idea, and thanks for the generous offer. Maybe we can twist Joe's arm into a little get-together at his place once his HT room is all finished off. [{(don't you just love it when people are generous with your stuff?)}]
post #146 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
SoCalWJS wrote: View Post
Looks like a lot of thought went into this and I will spend some time going through the whole thread for details, but I came up with a question pretty quickly.

Yuri Honig Trio's Walking on the Moon is a piece that I use for evaluation as well (although apparently looking for different things than the reviewers) and looked at the comments on how it was perceived and I became confused.....

Is there more than 1 version of this?

I'm familiar with a Saxophone version and kept seeing comments about the Trumpet.
As I recall - having just played that track in the last couple of days - it is a saxophone.
post #147 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 12:06 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Good idea, and thanks for the generous offer. Maybe we can twist Joe's arm into a little get-together at his place once his HT room is all finished off. [{(don't you just love it when people are generous with your stuff?)}]
If you think Sonnie's room is over damped, mine has even more so be prepared for that!

Interesting idea though - putting that one in the pressure cooker that is my brain for later. And, thanks much for the offer!

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
As I recall - having just played that track in the last couple of days - it is a saxophone.
It is indeed...

Thanks for the correction!
post #148 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 12:25 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Leonard, your comment on the Phase Techs as speakers you would buy if you wanted "speakers for life" cracked me up. Check out the picture of the 2014 product guide. That's been a tag line for a few years. Made me laugh.
post #149 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 12:30 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
I assure you I did not know that. It was a purely honest and spontaneous impression.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #150 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 12:33 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

I'm confident you didn't and that it was a sincere comment. Makes it all the more funny. Wanna come do some marketing for Phase Tech?