The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #151 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 12:51 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Right now a setup at home is giving killer results with only 3 bands of correction (foobar2000 + VST Wrapper + PEQ plugin).
That wouldn't be the baby brother of a certain forum owner's certain pair of recently acquired loudspeakers, would it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 01:18 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
I'm confident you didn't and that it was a sincere comment. Makes it all the more funny. Wanna come do some marketing for Phase Tech?
In all seriousness, no offense or disrespect intended to Leonard or anyone else My prior comment could be taken the wrong way. You guys are doing awesome and I love reading what you have to say about each speaker.
post #153 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 02:21 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
No offense taken at all. I just don't want anyone to think that I am in any way influenced by any manufacturer in what I write.

Those who know me at all will know that I am no shill for anyone and will speak my mind. But guests might get the wrong idea when the words are so similar.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #154 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 02:40 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

This is part of the reason why I (and I think many others) put so much stock in what you all have to say. I feel confident that you will be forthcoming in reporting your impressions and opinions, both the good and the not-so-good. Carry on!

Now, where are those other reviews??

post #155 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
That wouldn't be the baby brother of a certain forum owner's certain pair of recently acquired loudspeakers, would it?
Mmmaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyybbeeeee.
post #156 of 267 Old 03-06-14, 11:13 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post

That is pretty accurate. At home when I have more time with a speaker setup, it is fun to see how little EQ is needed, using parametric EQ, to tame the response. A soundstage (SS) is a terrible thing to waste, and it seems the better it is the more delicate it is and the easier it can be disrupted. Often only a few bands is all it takes:
[*]A HF shelf to lift the HF droop from off-axis listening position[*]One or two broad bands to tame the overall profile of LF room effects
Right now a setup at home is giving killer results with only 3 bands of correction (foobar2000 + VST Wrapper + PEQ plugin).
It is actually quite impressive that Audyssey MultEQ can even out a speaker's response without destroying SS/imaging, can even improve them sometimes. And it is so easy.

Naysayers will insist that correction drains the life out of the sound, and I will agree that a supersoundstage (SSS) might be disrupted by anything but the more sparing correcting, but for 99% of applications MultEQ or PEQ can give fantastic results.
I noticed you have mentioned this high frequency shelf a few times. Would you consider Dynamic EQs effect on high frequencies to be an effective compensation?

Control4 Automation Programmer
post #157 of 267 Old 03-07-14, 07:24 AM
Shackster
Brian Hearon

My System

All of you are to be commended for your hard work in thoroughly evaluating these speakers. Performing all of those measurements consistently for all of the speakers is hard work and we all thank you. Nice show from the other LA.
post #158 of 267 Old 03-07-14, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
I noticed you have mentioned this high frequency shelf a few times. Would you consider Dynamic EQs effect on high frequencies to be an effective compensation?
We have tried it (accidentally) and it can cause vocals to wander in the soundstage on some tracks. There is some detail about that in this recent review.
post #159 of 267 Old 03-07-14, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

The Axiom M100 Review is up and ready for your reading pleasure. Jump to it here.

Three down, three to go. Fingers crossed that we can get them posted this weekend!

Who wants PSB next? Who wants Polk? TOO BAD, you get what you get!
post #160 of 267 Old 03-07-14, 09:24 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

AudiocRaver has assumed control...but we do whatever he asks, since he does most of the work.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.