The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #161 of 267 Old 03-07-14, 11:43 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post

We have tried it (accidentally) and it can cause vocals to wander in the soundstage on some tracks. There is some detail about that in this recent review.
Nice review. I haven't noticed this "wander" with Dynamic EQ. Sounds quite strange to me. I wonder (haha) if it has more to do with the dipole design of the MLs. Variations might be heard at the MLP that are exaggerated by the boost. Maybe a comb filtering effect? Just a guess, but I intend to test tomorrow to see if I hear what you're talking about.

Control4 Automation Programmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 12:07 AM
Senior Shackster

Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Would the Axiom bass boominess benefit from plugging one or more of the ports?

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro
Arcam P1000 amp
Oppo BDP-95 blu ray player
ATC SCM-19 v2 L&R speakers
B&W LCR6 center speaker
B&W CDS6 surround speakers
Velodyne SPL-1000 Subs (2)
VTI speaker stands for L&R speakers
Sony XBR65x850a 4K
post #163 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 04:18 AM
Shackster
Ron

Quote:
admranger wrote: View Post
I was wondering the same of the Phase Technology. I owned the 9.1's and if I recall they came with port plugs.
post #164 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 09:38 AM
Shackster
Brian Hearon

My System

Just found my original Flim and the BB's Tricycle CD. Can't wait to get familiar with it again.
post #165 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 12:37 PM
Shackster

My System

I really like that you're making a point to be honest and unswayed.
post #166 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 12:38 PM
Shackster

I had artificial bass reinforcement with my Axiom M3s on stands due to their placement in in corners (close to 2 walls) requiring a -6 Db Bass EQ in my AV receiver. After reading an article at Axiom about their new Port Plugs (availability TBA), I fashioned my own to see if they would help. They did in spades.

The M3s' bass became tight again & I was able to remove all EQ out of my system & return it to flat. I would think that Port Plugs would work with the M100s as well in rooms that reinforce bass response.

BTW, this phenomena was not just for my M3s. Other speakers that I had used there exhibited the same type of behavior...

TAM
post #167 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 12:58 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
I want to be clear that I did not find the Axiom boomy, once it was placed optimally. I found the balance a bit more to the bass than I would prefer, but not to a degree that I would find bothersome. A speaker, for me, can have a bit too much bass and not be boomy. Boomy to me is a combination of excess bass and smearing of bass detail, uncontrolled and/or under damped sounding. Near the wall the detail was lost but out into the room it was quite good. The difference was quite striking. I would consider the performance near the wall one of the poorest and out into the room one of the best.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #168 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
AudiocRaver has assumed control...but we do whatever he asks, since he does most of the work.
As if I have ever had any real control over anything in my life!

Truly, this is such a team effort. Without the wonderful efforts of Leonard and Joe, and of course Sonnie's hosting and room and the inertia he has given the entire series and HTS as a home for it all... it would be a pitifully empty effort. Hats off to all involved.

Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
Nice review. I haven't noticed this "wander" with Dynamic EQ. Sounds quite strange to me. I wonder (haha) if it has more to do with the dipole design of the MLs. Variations might be heard at the MLP that are exaggerated by the boost. Maybe a comb filtering effect? Just a guess, but I intend to test tomorrow to see if I hear what you're talking about.
I will test at home with the same tracks and another set of speakers.

Quote:
Quote:
rhale64 wrote: View Post
I was wondering the same of the Phase Technology. I owned the 9.1's and if I recall they came with port plugs.
Quote:
exlabdriver wrote: View Post
I had artificial bass reinforcement with my Axiom M3s on stands due to their placement in in corners (close to 2 walls) requiring a -6 Db Bass EQ in my AV receiver. After reading an article at Axiom about their new Port Plugs (availability TBA), I fashioned my own to see if they would help. They did in spades.

The M3s' bass became tight again & I was able to remove all EQ out of my system & return it to flat. I would think that Port Plugs would work with the M100s as well in rooms that reinforce bass response.

BTW, this phenomena was not just for my M3s. Other speakers that I had used there exhibited the same type of behavior...

TAM
Excellent info. Alternate port tuning might be just the ticket for the Axioms in some setups.

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I want to be clear that I did not find the Axiom boomy, once it was placed optimally. I found the balance a bit more to the bass than I would prefer, but not to a degree that I would find bothersome. A speaker, for me, can have a bit too much bass and not be boomy. Boomy to me is a combination of excess bass and smearing of bass detail, uncontrolled and/or under damped sounding. Near the wall the detail was lost but out into the room it was quite good. The difference was quite striking. I would consider the performance near the wall one of the poorest and out into the room one of the best.
Well put, Leonard. To clarify my own assessment, in the final position the M100 bass was tight and controlled, just stronger in balance than I would have preferred - NOT boomy.
post #169 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 02:18 PM
Shackster

Great review of the Axioms! I always go back and forth when considering purchasing Axioms, because I'll read 7 "A" reviews of their products and then 2 "B-minuses". It really sounds like the M100's are solid performers.

lcaillo, you had me until you started comparing Dickens to Hemingway. It's not Dickens if it isn't a run-on sentence a paragraph long. I mean, Hemingway's dry, but at least he knows how to be concise. Anyway, great insights by each of you and I appreciate your dedication.

I also enjoy the tone you've collectively taken with this $3,000 evaluation. You kept saying at the beginning that this wasn't a shootout or a competition, and I kind of took it with a grain of salt. I mean, what's the point of listening to a bunch of speakers at the same time if not to see which one's the best? Plus we had just seen the $2.5K and $1K evaluations, which really had more of a shootout feel(especially the $1K, which involved the "winning" speaker becoming Sonnie's purchase). The word "shootout" was used in those reviews more than once.

Having said that, you all really seem to be letting each speaker so far stand on its own merits. I hope this will encourage other manufacturers to be more willing to contribute their offerings for future evaluations. Also, has Sonnie given any thought to throwing in a few comments at the end? I know he opted out of the reviews, but if was there and he listened to them, I for one would love to hear a word or two.

One last question: At what volume are the tones played to determine in-room freq response? I freely admit I'm not an expert here, but reading the three evaluations so far($1K, $2.5K and $3K, plus some other Cedar Creek reviews), I'm really surprised at how many speakers have been deemed harsh or bright when pushed.....some of which do not have a reputation for being bright. I'm just wondering out loud if the sonic characteristics of that room in particular have a multiplicative response to high frequencies at higher SPLs? if a test at reference level shows a flat response, does it show a flat response at higher than reference level? Again, I have the highest respect for you guys and what you're doing here. It's refreshing to have a forum that has such a positive vibe.
post #170 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

UPDATE concerning the Axiom M100 Review:

UPDATE: Axiom has contacted us with a very kind reminder that they recommend plugging the bottom three ports on the M100 when locating them close to a wall, and that port plugs are supplied with the speakers to accomplish it. There is even a demonstration video concerning this linked from their website. This would certainly have made a big difference in their performance close to the wall in our review, and might even have given us an easy way to modify their bass response in their optimum setup if we had desired. We simply did not notice the port plugs as we unpacked the M100 speakers.

Our thanks to Axiom for pointing this out and our apologies to Axiom and our readers for the oversight on our part. Please keep this in mind as you read this review.