The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #161 of 267 Old 03-07-14, 11:43 PM
Senior Shackster
 
fokakis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 174
My System
Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post

We have tried it (accidentally) and it can cause vocals to wander in the soundstage on some tracks. There is some detail about that in this recent review.
Nice review. I haven't noticed this "wander" with Dynamic EQ. Sounds quite strange to me. I wonder (haha) if it has more to do with the dipole design of the MLs. Variations might be heard at the MLP that are exaggerated by the boost. Maybe a comb filtering effect? Just a guess, but I intend to test tomorrow to see if I hear what you're talking about.

Control4 Automation Programmer
fokakis1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #162 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 12:07 AM
Senior Shackster
 
admranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 100
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Would the Axiom bass boominess benefit from plugging one or more of the ports?

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro
Arcam P1000 amp
Oppo BDP-95 blu ray player
ATC SCM-19 v2 L&R speakers
B&W LCR6 center speaker
B&W CDS6 surround speakers
Velodyne SPL-1000 Subs (2)
VTI speaker stands for L&R speakers
Sony XBR65x850a 4K
admranger is offline  
post #163 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 04:18 AM
Shackster
Ron
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27
Quote:
admranger wrote: View Post
Would the Axiom bass boominess benefit from plugging one or more of the ports?
I was wondering the same of the Phase Technology. I owned the 9.1's and if I recall they came with port plugs.
rhale64 is online now  
post #164 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 09:38 AM
Shackster
Brian Hearon
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 21
My System
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Just found my original Flim and the BB's Tricycle CD. Can't wait to get familiar with it again.
HeartFixr is offline  
post #165 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 12:37 PM
Shackster
 
brwsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 30
My System
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I really like that you're making a point to be honest and unswayed.
brwsaw is offline  
post #166 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 12:38 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I had artificial bass reinforcement with my Axiom M3s on stands due to their placement in in corners (close to 2 walls) requiring a -6 Db Bass EQ in my AV receiver. After reading an article at Axiom about their new Port Plugs (availability TBA), I fashioned my own to see if they would help. They did in spades.

The M3s' bass became tight again & I was able to remove all EQ out of my system & return it to flat. I would think that Port Plugs would work with the M100s as well in rooms that reinforce bass response.

BTW, this phenomena was not just for my M3s. Other speakers that I had used there exhibited the same type of behavior...

TAM
exlabdriver is offline  
post #167 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 12:58 PM
Plain ole user
 
lcaillo's Avatar
Tech Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 11,121
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
admranger wrote: View Post
Would the Axiom bass boominess benefit from plugging one or more of the ports?
I want to be clear that I did not find the Axiom boomy, once it was placed optimally. I found the balance a bit more to the bass than I would prefer, but not to a degree that I would find bothersome. A speaker, for me, can have a bit too much bass and not be boomy. Boomy to me is a combination of excess bass and smearing of bass detail, uncontrolled and/or under damped sounding. Near the wall the detail was lost but out into the room it was quite good. The difference was quite striking. I would consider the performance near the wall one of the poorest and out into the room one of the best.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
lcaillo is offline  
post #168 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
AudiocRaver's Avatar
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,565
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
AudiocRaver has assumed control...but we do whatever he asks, since he does most of the work.
As if I have ever had any real control over anything in my life!

Truly, this is such a team effort. Without the wonderful efforts of Leonard and Joe, and of course Sonnie's hosting and room and the inertia he has given the entire series and HTS as a home for it all... it would be a pitifully empty effort. Hats off to all involved.

Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
Nice review. I haven't noticed this "wander" with Dynamic EQ. Sounds quite strange to me. I wonder (haha) if it has more to do with the dipole design of the MLs. Variations might be heard at the MLP that are exaggerated by the boost. Maybe a comb filtering effect? Just a guess, but I intend to test tomorrow to see if I hear what you're talking about.
I will test at home with the same tracks and another set of speakers.

Quote:
admranger wrote: View Post
Would the Axiom bass boominess benefit from plugging one or more of the ports?
Quote:
rhale64 wrote: View Post
I was wondering the same of the Phase Technology. I owned the 9.1's and if I recall they came with port plugs.
Quote:
exlabdriver wrote: View Post
I had artificial bass reinforcement with my Axiom M3s on stands due to their placement in in corners (close to 2 walls) requiring a -6 Db Bass EQ in my AV receiver. After reading an article at Axiom about their new Port Plugs (availability TBA), I fashioned my own to see if they would help. They did in spades.

The M3s' bass became tight again & I was able to remove all EQ out of my system & return it to flat. I would think that Port Plugs would work with the M100s as well in rooms that reinforce bass response.

BTW, this phenomena was not just for my M3s. Other speakers that I had used there exhibited the same type of behavior...

TAM
Excellent info. Alternate port tuning might be just the ticket for the Axioms in some setups.

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I want to be clear that I did not find the Axiom boomy, once it was placed optimally. I found the balance a bit more to the bass than I would prefer, but not to a degree that I would find bothersome. A speaker, for me, can have a bit too much bass and not be boomy. Boomy to me is a combination of excess bass and smearing of bass detail, uncontrolled and/or under damped sounding. Near the wall the detail was lost but out into the room it was quite good. The difference was quite striking. I would consider the performance near the wall one of the poorest and out into the room one of the best.
Well put, Leonard. To clarify my own assessment, in the final position the M100 bass was tight and controlled, just stronger in balance than I would have preferred - NOT boomy.
AudiocRaver is offline  
post #169 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 02:18 PM
Shackster
 
Utopianemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 81
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Great review of the Axioms! I always go back and forth when considering purchasing Axioms, because I'll read 7 "A" reviews of their products and then 2 "B-minuses". It really sounds like the M100's are solid performers.

lcaillo, you had me until you started comparing Dickens to Hemingway. It's not Dickens if it isn't a run-on sentence a paragraph long. I mean, Hemingway's dry, but at least he knows how to be concise. Anyway, great insights by each of you and I appreciate your dedication.

I also enjoy the tone you've collectively taken with this $3,000 evaluation. You kept saying at the beginning that this wasn't a shootout or a competition, and I kind of took it with a grain of salt. I mean, what's the point of listening to a bunch of speakers at the same time if not to see which one's the best? Plus we had just seen the $2.5K and $1K evaluations, which really had more of a shootout feel(especially the $1K, which involved the "winning" speaker becoming Sonnie's purchase). The word "shootout" was used in those reviews more than once.

Having said that, you all really seem to be letting each speaker so far stand on its own merits. I hope this will encourage other manufacturers to be more willing to contribute their offerings for future evaluations. Also, has Sonnie given any thought to throwing in a few comments at the end? I know he opted out of the reviews, but if was there and he listened to them, I for one would love to hear a word or two.

One last question: At what volume are the tones played to determine in-room freq response? I freely admit I'm not an expert here, but reading the three evaluations so far($1K, $2.5K and $3K, plus some other Cedar Creek reviews), I'm really surprised at how many speakers have been deemed harsh or bright when pushed.....some of which do not have a reputation for being bright. I'm just wondering out loud if the sonic characteristics of that room in particular have a multiplicative response to high frequencies at higher SPLs? if a test at reference level shows a flat response, does it show a flat response at higher than reference level? Again, I have the highest respect for you guys and what you're doing here. It's refreshing to have a forum that has such a positive vibe.
Utopianemo is offline  
post #170 of 267 Old 03-08-14, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
AudiocRaver's Avatar
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,565
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

UPDATE concerning the Axiom M100 Review:

UPDATE: Axiom has contacted us with a very kind reminder that they recommend plugging the bottom three ports on the M100 when locating them close to a wall, and that port plugs are supplied with the speakers to accomplish it. There is even a demonstration video concerning this linked from their website. This would certainly have made a big difference in their performance close to the wall in our review, and might even have given us an easy way to modify their bass response in their optimum setup if we had desired. We simply did not notice the port plugs as we unpacked the M100 speakers.

Our thanks to Axiom for pointing this out and our apologies to Axiom and our readers for the oversight on our part. Please keep this in mind as you read this review.
AudiocRaver is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
$3 , 000 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome