The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 19 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #181 of 267 Old 03-09-14, 12:16 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

It is interesting that my description was very similar, even though we had not discussed the speakers very much at all after the listening session. We did not compare notes on the Axiom like we did on some others. What Wayne describes is very similar to what I meant by "density" in the image. I attribute that to very low distortion, very precisely matched components, and the ability to move lots of air.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 267 Old 03-09-14, 12:20 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Very good questions. As far as the room goes, it really does not seem to be brighter than other rooms I have worked with. If anything, the treatment keeps the highs pretty well under control.

My own ears are fairly tolerant of extended highs if they are smooth and if the distortion is low. The others seem more sensitive than I am, Leonard a little and Joe moreso, and either will catch any significant amount of mid/hf distortion - in Leonard's case it is more like a superpower.

So remember that sensitivities and preferences vary - we are reporting what we hear and telling you our sensitivities and preferences the best we can for the sake of context.

Joe & Leonard, please speak up if I have misrepresented either of you.
That is a good representation for me as well - as with Leonard, I really appreciate a clean, crisp mid bass. As for high end, I prefer a light, delicate high end.
post #183 of 267 Old 03-09-14, 12:23 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

As for the plugs for the ports for the Axioms, I did mention them in my write-up - incorrectly deeming them sliders for moving the speakers. It did not occur to me they were port plugs...
post #184 of 267 Old 03-09-14, 12:27 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Joe and I have very similar tastes in some ways and those two areas are examples. I have found that planar drivers deliver the low distortion and extended response that leads to the "delicate" sound in the treble. I was, therefore, somewhat surprised at how much I liked the Axiom.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #185 of 267 Old 03-09-14, 04:12 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
UPDATE concerning the Axiom M100 Review:

UPDATE: Axiom has contacted us with a very kind reminder that they recommend plugging the bottom three ports on the M100 when locating them close to a wall, and that port plugs are supplied with the speakers to accomplish it. There is even a demonstration video concerning this linked from their website. This would certainly have made a big difference in their performance close to the wall in our review, and might even have given us an easy way to modify their bass response in their optimum setup if we had desired. We simply did not notice the port plugs as we unpacked the M100 speakers.

Our thanks to Axiom for pointing this out and our apologies to Axiom and our readers for the oversight on our part. Please keep this in mind as you read this review.
You're welcome for the 'heads up' on the plugs.

Now I have to really consider Axiom speakers into my upgrade list along w/my beloved at first listen, but out of my pocketbook range ATC SCM40's and some near to home Von Schweikert VR-22's...

Your reviews are going to cost me money! You are doing excellent work! However, I'd avoid my wife if I were you three.

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro
Arcam P1000 amp
Oppo BDP-95 blu ray player
ATC SCM-19 v2 L&R speakers
B&W LCR6 center speaker
B&W CDS6 surround speakers
Velodyne SPL-1000 Subs (2)
VTI speaker stands for L&R speakers
Sony XBR65x850a 4K
post #186 of 267 Old 03-09-14, 04:35 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

You mean you actually pay attention to all of our blather?

post #187 of 267 Old 03-09-14, 04:59 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

I may have said this already, but this is the hardest set of reviews of the three sessions we have done. I am finding it hard to find aspects of most of them to criticize. Maybe we got many of the best speakers in this price range. Maybe the manufacturers that sent them knew they would perform well and were confident in their products. Makes me wonder about the ones that did not participate, or whether we are just not being discriminating enough. Going over my notes, I find lots of stuff that each does right and very little that I did not like. And the criticisms that I do have are quite minor. Some of the speakers made me want to listen more than others, but as picky as I am, I could live with any of them.

post #188 of 267 Old 03-09-14, 05:23 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System

Maybe you guys need to review the bigger Bryston's. The Bryston mini A's are going to be comparable to the Axiom HP line. (100,HP80,HP60) However the Bryston model T series uses an 8 inch driver instead of the 61/2 in the same format as the Axiom HP line. Hopefully a future review.
post #189 of 267 Old 03-09-14, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
brwsaw wrote: View Post
I'd second the M80HP review.
The image totally messes with your mind.
You're going to close your eyes and be forced to rethink stereo.
Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
I've been following your obsession with a deep soundstage and it appears from your review that you have found something here that captures what you so intently seek. I applaud your words. The above is very well written.
To those who have never witnessed such a soundstage, it probably comes acrosss like a bunch of drivel written by someone on hallucinogens or worse. When you have heard it - and it really is a quantum leap contrast - it does challenge you concept of what is possible with sound reproduction. Really spoils you, too. How do you go back to anything else?
post #190 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 07:18 AM

Quote:
To those who have never witnessed such a soundstage, it probably comes acrosss like a bunch of drivel written by someone on hallucinogens or worse. When you have heard it - and it really is a quantum leap contrast - it does challenge you concept of what is possible with sound reproduction. Really spoils you, too. How do you go back to anything else?
It is the search for the Holy Grail. I've heard it once, Martin Logan's factory demo room on a pair of CLS IIz through a bunch of ARC tube gear that cost 10-15X the price of the speakers. I think the speaker cables in use were more expensive than the CLS speakers. What I heard that blew me away was a saxophone player about 6 feet behind my seat as real as anything. Talk about a deep soundstage. That's my Holy Grail.