The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 20 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #191 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 07:33 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I may have said this already, but this is the hardest set of reviews of the three sessions we have done. I am finding it hard to find aspects of most of them to criticize. Maybe we got many of the best speakers in this price range. Maybe the manufacturers that sent them knew they would perform well and were confident in their products. Makes me wonder about the ones that did not participate, or whether we are just not being discriminating enough. Going over my notes, I find lots of stuff that each does right and very little that I did not like. And the criticisms that I do have are quite minor. Some of the speakers made me want to listen more than others, but as picky as I am, I could live with any of them.
That's an interesting comment, and encouraging that when you spend the kind of money we're talking about here, it seems likely you're going to be getting an excellent product with excellent performance. I was going to ask you all when all the reviews had been posted whether you felt that the performance gained from going from the $2000-$2500 area to the ~$3000 area justified the price increase. And how much better things are getting. Obviously this would be generalizing a bit since your sample size is pretty small relative to the number of products available in this price range. Still, I find it interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 07:43 AM
Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
To those who have never witnessed such a soundstage, it probably comes acrosss like a bunch of drivel written by someone on hallucinogens or worse. When you have heard it - and it really is a quantum leap contrast - it does challenge you concept of what is possible with sound reproduction. Really spoils you, too. How do you go back to anything else?
To that, I'd add, "to those who have never NOTICED such a soundstage." The best setup I've ever heard belongs to an acquaintance whose listening room was engineered by Rives Audio and employs Revel Ultimas and Lamm monoblocks, among other things. I'd imagine that if any setup had a holographic soundstage, that'd be it. But I didn't notice it; and I was paying attention(or at least I thought I was). As mentioned before, that soundstage bowled some of you over, and was barely noticed by the rest.

We all find what we're looking for, whether we know it or not.
post #193 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 07:50 AM
Shackster

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
That's an interesting comment, and encouraging that when you spend the kind of money we're talking about here, it seems likely you're going to be getting an excellent product with excellent performance. I was going to ask you all when all the reviews had been posted whether you felt that the performance gained from going from the $2000-$2500 area to the ~$3000 area justified the price increase. And how much better things are getting. Obviously this would be generalizing a bit since your sample size is pretty small relative to the number of products available in this price range. Still, I find it interesting.
The question is made more interesting by the fact that the speakers in both the $2.5K and the $3K fall on both sides of the target dollar amount. I'd be even more interested to see how much better these speakers are than, let's say, the ARX A5's, which were at the top of the $1K pile($750 no less!)

We all find what we're looking for, whether we know it or not.
post #194 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 07:54 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
Utopianemo wrote: View Post
The question is made more interesting by the fact that the speakers in both the $2.5K and the $3K fall on both sides of the target dollar amount. I'd be even more interested to see how much better these speakers are than, let's say, the ARX A5's, which were at the top of the $1K pile($750 no less!)
Yes I'm interested in that as well. Everything I'm reading suggests the A5 could easily sell for $1500 per pair and be a good deal still. So that does beg the question: If you can only spend say $1k, and if you bought the A5, what would you be leaving behind? How much better is a $3k speaker than the A5? And if you are able to spend $3k, are you wasting your time looking at the A5, or is there a reason to consider it?
post #195 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 12:49 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
If I thought I could flip a pair of the ARX5's for no loss I would give them a spin just to hear them.
But getting all the money back out of them would be very unlikely and I am unwilling to pay shipping for the privilege of an audition.
post #196 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 01:40 PM
Shackster

I noticed that Axiom has their Port Plugs for their speakers now available at their site.

I may get a pair for my M3s to replace my decidedly amateurish home made plugs...

TAM
post #197 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 03:58 PM
Shackster
JeffB

I was wondering if someone could define the term "Sibilance" as used in the reviews.
post #198 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 06:05 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Sibilance is the tendency for consonant sounds like the "s" sound to sound like hissing at the end of a vocal sound. A speaker with excessive sibilance makes the natural sibilant sounds of some vocals sound like the way Elton John sings Bennie and the Jetssssss.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #199 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 06:05 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
JeffB wrote: View Post
I was wondering if someone could define the term "Sibilance" as used in the reviews.
Jeff,

When I refer to sibilance, I am talking about the "s" sound during vocals.
post #200 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 06:06 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Sibilance is the tendency for consonant sounds like the "s" sound to sound like hissing at the end of a vocal sound. A speaker with excessive sibilance makes the natural sibilant sounds of some vocals sound like the way Elton John sings Bennie and the Jetssssss.
Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Jeff,

When I refer to sibilance, I am talking about the "s" sound during vocals.
Guess who beat me to it!