The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 21 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #201 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 06:11 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Yes I'm interested in that as well. Everything I'm reading suggests the A5 could easily sell for $1500 per pair and be a good deal still. So that does beg the question: If you can only spend say $1k, and if you bought the A5, what would you be leaving behind? How much better is a $3k speaker than the A5? And if you are able to spend $3k, are you wasting your time looking at the A5, or is there a reason to consider it?
I can speak to this as I ended up with a pair of A5s. If cost is no object, up to the cost of the most recent round of speakers, I think the A5 is worth a listen, no matter what speakers you are considering in all three rounds. What you would miss compared to all of the $3K-$3500 speakers, and most of the $2500 speakers is bass extension. Many of the more expensive speakers had slightly more stable and solid imaging, but not by much in most cases. A few have better midrange detail. If cost does matter, as it does to me, as I would not invest in new speakers if I had to spend significantly more, then the A5 is certainly something I would recommend anyone give serious consideration to.

That is not to say that some of the other speakers in all three rounds are not worth considering. There are lots of things to like about most of them. When you get to the last group, there is not much to call out as defeciencies and the differences get to be pretty small.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

The PSB Imagine T2 Tower review is up for your viewing. Follow this link to get there quick. Joe's and Leonard's comments will be added shortly.

Apologies we are not all done yet. We will feed you what is ready when it is ready. All should be up for your reading fairly quickly. Thanks for your patience.
post #203 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 06:52 PM
Shackster

Thanks,guys! Can't wait to read!

Sibilance also shows up in the decay of cymbals and sometimes bright reverb(the kind that was ubiquitous during the early 90's).

We all find what we're looking for, whether we know it or not.
post #204 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Utopianemo wrote: View Post
To that, I'd add, "to those who have never NOTICED such a soundstage." The best setup I've ever heard belongs to an acquaintance whose listening room was engineered by Rives Audio and employs Revel Ultimas and Lamm monoblocks, among other things. I'd imagine that if any setup had a holographic soundstage, that'd be it. But I didn't notice it; and I was paying attention(or at least I thought I was). As mentioned before, that soundstage bowled some of you over, and was barely noticed by the rest.
Good point. At my first carved in space soundstage witnessing at RMAF last October, I might have doubted my own ears except Dennis (Tesseract) was right beside me and had the same reaction. But there have been occasions like that where I was knocked out by it and others have not. So a factor is appreciation and being attuned to it.

Also, fine equipment does not a fine soundstage make. At RMAF there were many rooms full of ridiculously expensive equipment that had mediocre soundstages. There was only one carved in space soundstage at the whole event that I heard, one of the two Wilson Alexia setups. Even the main Wilson room only gave a pretty good soundstage in comparison. There are a lot of factors.
post #205 of 267 Old 03-10-14, 07:27 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
The PSB Imagine T2 Tower review is up for your viewing. Follow this link to get there quick. Joe's and Leonard's comments will be added shortly.

Apologies we are not all done yet. We will feed you what is ready when it is ready. All should be up for your reading fairly quickly. Thanks for your patience.
Sounds like a pretty sweet speaker. Considering all the great things that have been said about it, I would have been disappointed if it had not been great.

Wayne's second paragraph under the "Impressions" heading is not quite finished . . .
post #206 of 267 Old 03-11-14, 08:23 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Sounds like a pretty sweet speaker. Considering all the great things that have been said about it, I would have been disappointed if it had not been great.

Wayne's second paragraph under the "Impressions" heading is not quite finished . . .
It really was - I was curious how it compared to the more expensive Synchrony line, and I was not disappointed at all.
post #207 of 267 Old 03-11-14, 01:19 PM

Quote:
dolsey01 wrote: View Post
What I heard that blew me away was a saxophone player about 6 feet behind my seat as real as anything. Talk about a deep soundstage. That's my Holy Grail.
And how natural is that ? We are talking 2 ch stereo aren't we ? I've been to many live performance over the past 50 years and never heard anything from the stage that sounded like it was playing next to me, unless of coarse the speakers were behind me. I want natural separation & depth, front to back, bottom to top. Yes I'm aware of room acoustics were sound is bouncing around and they seem to be coming from another direction, that could be good or bad depending on one's setup.

Another thing..

I wonder how many people have enough room to set speakers up to the final setting spec's, matter of fact how many even have the room for the close to wall spec's ? And, how many people reading the review paid attention to the following quote...

"There are speakers that do not sound too bad close to the wall. But none, in our experience, can give a deep, engaging soundstage when too close to the wall. If one has to place a pair of speakers close to a wall, it would be better to save money and buy a pair for a few hundred dollars - check out our Reviews Area for candidates - and call it good."

I do agree with that quote and I will say you guy's do a nice job with your reviews.

Thanks.
post #208 of 267 Old 03-11-14, 01:35 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I can speak to this as I ended up with a pair of A5s. If cost is no object, up to the cost of the most recent round of speakers, I think the A5 is worth a listen, no matter what speakers you are considering in all three rounds. What you would miss compared to all of the $3K-$3500 speakers, and most of the $2500 speakers is bass extension. Many of the more expensive speakers had slightly more stable and solid imaging, but not by much in most cases. A few have better midrange detail. If cost does matter, as it does to me, as I would not invest in new speakers if I had to spend significantly more, then the A5 is certainly something I would recommend anyone give serious consideration to.

That is not to say that some of the other speakers in all three rounds are not worth considering. There are lots of things to like about most of them. When you get to the last group, there is not much to call out as defeciencies and the differences get to be pretty small.
I appreciate this enlightening comment. If the only major thing being given up is bass extension, that is most impressive. I have the ability to play in the low $2000 range for the most part (or $3k in the case of one speaker), but it sounds to me like I should make an effort to hear the A5 when I am ready to do some auditioning.
post #209 of 267 Old 03-11-14, 09:58 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
I appreciate this enlightening comment. If the only major thing being given up is bass extension, that is most impressive. I have the ability to play in the low $2000 range for the most part (or $3k in the case of one speaker), but it sounds to me like I should make an effort to hear the A5 when I am ready to do some auditioning.
You should - it really is one dandy speaker...
post #210 of 267 Old 03-11-14, 10:13 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:

For your budget you could get a pair of A5s and two nice subs. Then I doubt you would be giving up bass extension to these $3000 speakers.

Control4 Automation Programmer