The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 24 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #231 of 267 Old 03-16-14, 12:48 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I have posted my impressions of the Tannoy. Still working on the Polk.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 267 Old 03-16-14, 01:01 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Take-aways from this round of reviews...

Many have expected that these would be "shoot-outs" because we had multiple speakers in the same place at the same time. We have explained many times that we would not do so and would try very hard to let each speaker stand on its own. This was very hard to do, as comparisons always come up. If any comparisons were made, I tried to make them to the Montis, which are a much more expensive speaker and a fine reference point that we listened to extensively in the same room. And, frankly, they are, IMO, better than anything else I have heard there in most ways.

What I think all of the reviewers would agree on is that in this round we have reached a price point where identifying obvious shortcomings in each speaker becomes very difficult. Even more so than the lower price points, they all do most things at least adequately to be satisfying, and most do some things extremely well. They are all solit designs. The differences between them would likely be overcome by placement, room acoustics, and personal preference and priorities. I hope we gave enough information to relay our impressions of how they perform and under what conditions they might be better or worse choices for individual needs. That is very difficult to do, and we do not mind getting critiques or questions.

The Arx A5, which was one of our preferred speakers in the first session, which was intended to select a winner, has been discussed in this thread. I have to say, it does hold up pretty well against the higher priced speakers, but it does have some relative shortcomings. Whether they are important enough to justify the price difference is a personal choice, and I would not buy any speaker without some serious listening time. As fine a speaker as it is, there are others that one might prefer in any of the three groups of speakers we evaluated.

We have so many fine options in speakers these days that it really does boggle the mind. If I have learned anything in these sessions, it is that there are many good choices out there. And most importantly, once you get to speakers that reveal the detail that these do, music is a phenomenal experience. I think I am enjoying everything I listen to more since I have upgraded my speakers.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #233 of 267 Old 03-16-14, 02:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Take-aways from this round of reviews... Many have expected that these would be "shoot-outs" because we had multiple speakers in the same place at the same time. We have explained many times that we would not do so and would try very hard to let each speaker stand on its own. This was very hard to do, as comparisons always come up. If any comparisons were made, I tried to make them to the Montis, which are a much more expensive speaker and a fine reference point that we listened to extensively in the same room. And, frankly, they are, IMO, better than anything else I have heard there in most ways. What I think all of the reviewers would agree on is that in this round we have reached a price point where identifying obvious shortcomings in each speaker becomes very difficult. Even more so than the lower price points, they all do most things at least adequately to be satisfying, and most do some things extremely well. They are all solit designs. The differences between them would likely be overcome by placement, room acoustics, and personal preference and priorities. I hope we gave enough information to relay our impressions of how they perform and under what conditions they might be better or worse choices for individual needs. That is very difficult to do, and we do not mind getting critiques or questions. The Arx A5, which was one of our preferred speakers in the first session, which was intended to select a winner, has been discussed in this thread. I have to say, it does hold up pretty well against the higher priced speakers, but it does have some relative shortcomings. Whether they are important enough to justify the price difference is a personal choice, and I would not buy any speaker without some serious listening time. As fine a speaker as it is, there are others that one might prefer in any of the three groups of speakers we evaluated. We have so many fine options in speakers these days that it really does boggle the mind. If I have learned anything in these sessions, it is that there are many good choices out there. And most importantly, once you get to speakers that reveal the detail that these do, music is a phenomenal experience. I think I am enjoying everything I listen to more since I have upgraded my speakers.
Nice summary Leonard! Thanks for all of your guys hard work in these evaluations. It really helps those on this site to perhaps determine what price point they are willing to go up to when choosing a speaker. Of course your preferences might not be someone else's preferences so each person must choose the speaker that is right for them but these evaluations definitely point people in the right direction.
post #234 of 267 Old 03-16-14, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

My final postings are up for the event.

"In Summary," jump to it here.

"Appreciation," jump to it here.

Cheers!
post #235 of 267 Old 03-16-14, 11:30 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Excellent work Wayne. Thanks for this.

I have a question that any of you can address but I am especially interested in what Joe has to say because the things he listens for seem to align rather well with what I listen for. How do you feel about the way an electrostatic like the Montis handles audio versus the more traditional speakers you've been listening to? I leave this as a pretty broad question intentionally.
post #236 of 267 Old 03-17-14, 07:48 AM
Senior Shackster

prerich

Excellent work guys!!! Bravo !!!!

Sent from my iPad using HTShack
post #237 of 267 Old 03-17-14, 08:53 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Excellent work Wayne. Thanks for this.

I have a question that any of you can address but I am especially interested in what Joe has to say because the things he listens for seem to align rather well with what I listen for. How do you feel about the way an electrostatic like the Montis handles audio versus the more traditional speakers you've been listening to? I leave this as a pretty broad question intentionally.
Bryan,

Having had little prior experience with an electrostat, I had to rely on what I read mostly - and that was they are extremely finicky about placement. Also, one small shop in my area suggested they were akin to a Klipsch in one way - you either love them or you don't.

Having heard a couple electrostats at the shows and now the Montis speakers in Sonnie's room, I can tell you that I personally really enjoyed the sound. They do have a very open presentation and project very well - provided that you take them time and effort to get the placed. And, it can be a matter of an inch - there were instances when Wayne and I were playing with the Montis' location where I moved them that slightly and we could detect a difference in the soundfield. Once you do have them placed, I would put them up against any of the speakers I have deemed to have that "open, airy" sound.

The great thing about the Montis (IMO) is that they made a separate woofer cabinet in the base of the speaker to handle low end. There were a couple that I heard at shows that did not do this, and they really suffered in precision because of it.

I don't know that I would use them in a room in which I was going to do predominantly movies, but when I finally mke myself a two channel listening space at home (a bit in the future), I can tell you for certain that I will not be discounting an electrostat speaker - provided it is a hybrid.
post #238 of 267 Old 03-17-14, 10:07 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Thanks Joe, that was the kind of info I was interested in. Electrostats were not on my radar, due to some pre-conceived notions about them, until Wayne's review of the Montis. Now I must hear a pair to see what all the fuss is about. Or I will always wonder. Gotta love the audio obsession.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming . . .
post #239 of 267 Old 03-17-14, 11:32 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
You really can get a lot of loudspeaker for $3000 a pair. While none of these models grabbed me personally as a "gotta have it" speaker,
I found that statement interesting.

I guess some people around here, will need to go the DIY route.

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #240 of 267 Old 03-17-14, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
zieglj01 wrote: View Post
I found that statement interesting.

I guess some people around here, will need to go the DIY route.
Just to be clear, and you might have already read my comments correctly, I am not ordering any of them immediately. One brand is now on my mental list of those I am "thinking about a lot."