The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 26 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #251 of 267 Old 03-20-14, 11:06 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
When it was time to replace my 70's era speakers I did not have a predetermined max budget.
My requirements were pretty simple, the new speakers had to be an upgrade.

I was somewhat shocked that nothing did it for me until I got up to the Paradigm Studio 100, B&W 804S, and Klipsch RF-83.
I drew the line there because it was way more money than my uninformed prediction.

Luckily before any purchases were made the Klipsch were offered for one weekend at 50% off MSRP and I took the deal (they even discounted the RS-42's 50%) so in the end I feel like I couldn't have done better for the actual money spent.
Nothing I heard (IMO) priced at $1500/pr came close to the RF-83 speakers.

I shopped every price bracket up to $4k very hard and for the most part I thought the the speakers were competitive to each other in the same price range.

Even at $4k/pr all I had to do to hear better sound was listen to the next model up the chain.
Worth it? ?? That's for each individual to decide for themselves.

I found no speakers that jumped a price point much less two price points but I did find some complete duds at every price point.

Every speaker sounded different, not always better or worse compared to similarly priced competition but always different.

At MSRP I would have been satisfied with any of the 3 that were finalists even though the B&Ws were $1k more they were also the #1 choice by a small but worthy margin.

It pays to listen to everything you can multiple times and to be patient
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 267 Old 03-24-14, 02:57 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I have to apoplgize to everyone. I just noticed that my Polk impressions were not in the post. I really thought I had uploaded it a while back. Not sure if I forgot to save or what. Anyway, it is now there.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #253 of 267 Old 03-25-14, 12:12 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I have to apoplgize to everyone. I just noticed that my Polk impressions were not in the post. I really thought I had uploaded it a while back. Not sure if I forgot to save or what. Anyway, it is now there.
It seems, or sounds like the Polk timbre character, was not for you.

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #254 of 267 Old 03-25-14, 03:46 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

True, but as I said in the review, there were no obvious shortcomings. They did just about everything well. Just not my preference.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #255 of 267 Old 03-25-14, 03:57 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

I have wondered about this before, and thought it might spark some discussion since things have slowed down around here. A couple of speakers in this evaluation seemed to stand out for one thing or another, but three or four models seem to not quite have the "magic" that draws the listener in to listen more and more.

In what ways (if any) do we want a speaker to stand out? Are there some ways of standing out that impress at first and become annoying after living with a speaker for several months? Are there other ways of standing out that are good over the long haul?

On the other hand, regarding the speaker that does not stand out on first listen, how does it fare several months down the road? Does it remain "boring" and unengaging, or does one come to appreciate its simple, unassuming way of going about things (this absent any significant flaws, as all the speakers here seem to be)?

Obviously this is rather subjective, depending on what the listener wants from a speaker. Some people want things to stand out or be emphasized, which might be considered by others who are "purists" to be an alternate version of reality or hyper-real, or whatever. Just wondering, for those of you who have listened to and, more importantly, lived with for a long period of time, several different pairs or sets of loudspeakers.

What has your experience been? Have you ever bought a pair of loudspeakers because they sounded exciting at first blush, but ended up realizing they were fatiguing or annoying much later? Or have you ever bought a loudspeaker and found several months down the line that you've become bored with them and wanted to move on to something more exciting?
post #256 of 267 Old 03-25-14, 04:16 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

These are very good questions. My experience has been that often, on first listen, a speaker sounds good but after listening to a wide range of music, I find that it exaggerates something or there is a character that is not to my liking. Only a handful of speakers have ever called me to listen more after a wide range of listening. None of them sounded any less appealing months later.

What I generally find appealing is excellent detail and very low distortion. But there must be something else that I have a hard time quantifying. The Polks had detail that I expected and very low distortion. The just did not do much for me, and I am not sure why.

post #257 of 267 Old 03-25-14, 04:40 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Interesting insight Leonard. Thanks.

In case it wasn't apparent, the question was not just for those who evaluated in this event, but also for anyone with experience and an opinion on it who also cares to share.
post #258 of 267 Old 03-25-14, 04:54 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System
bkeeler10, great questions! I love my speakers however when I'm bored I'll reposition them. I'll move my room treatments. Eventually my speakers and treatments go back to their original position which always sounds best to me.
There is no chance of me moving my home theater speakers around. I hate to say it but the home theater is all about the WAF!
post #259 of 267 Old 03-25-14, 05:43 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Just wondering, for those of you who have listened to and, more importantly, lived with for a long period of time, several different pairs or sets of loudspeakers.

What has your experience been? Have you ever bought a pair of loudspeakers because they sounded exciting at first blush, but ended up realizing they were fatiguing or annoying much later? Or have you ever bought a loudspeaker and found several months down the line that you've become bored with them and wanted to move on to something more exciting?
Both types after a while - fatiguing and boring > that is why I have
extra bookshelf speakers.

However, since I just bought the former MB Quart VS05B bookshelf
speakers, from a crazy good deal - I am becoming more content.

I want the box speakers to be transparent, revealing, refined/clean
and for the imaging and soundstage presentation to call me in. To
give me the more you are there, sense and feel.

Brightness that is sharp/edgy and harsh, is not the only thing that
brings ear fatigue to me - the mushy/boomy and thumpy bass, will
also give me ear fatigue (wear me down).

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #260 of 267 Old 03-25-14, 10:17 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
I find it ironic, yet somewhat not surprising, that you guys found the speakers with the flattest frequency response unengaging. Not to mention that they were very accurate, detailed and had no real weaknesses.

A lot could be taken from that and discussed about the objective and the subjective.

Control4 Automation Programmer