The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 267 Old 02-22-14, 11:05 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Sorry but no, only the review team attends. We actually are guests at Sonnie's and there would be little time to allow others to listen. For four people to do extensive listening, running all of the sweeps and collecting data, and all of the experimenting with position it is pushing it now. Sonnie's room is large, but even so we are tripping over each other some times.

It would be great if we could have others attend, but it would be almost impossible to get as deep into each speaker as we do. To make it fair to all of the vendors that are kind enough to send their products, we really have to be thorough.

Look in your area for an audio group that might do gatherings. I just discovered the one in Tampa and would be at their meeting this weekend if I were not here. You might also consider some of the shows where many manufacturers display their products.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 267 Old 02-22-14, 12:29 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Just finished unpacking the last couple of speakers - both are quite hefty!
post #23 of 267 Old 02-22-14, 12:31 PM
Senior Shackster

prerich

Excited about learning what's special about each speaker, especially the Tannoy!
post #24 of 267 Old 02-22-14, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Four down, two to go.

There has been some interesting discussion about test tracks. While there is a lot of overlap in our four areas of taste and musical preference, there are some tracks that are favorites for one and are barely - barely - tolerated by one or two others in the group. My Gorliiaz and Crash Test Dummies tracks, it turns out, are not popular with at least two of the three others here for the weekend (including our host, Sonnie) - the parties shall remain nameless. Go figure. And I thought I was giving them such a treat!

Ah, well, there is no accounting for taste. Referring to theirs, of course. Mine makes perfect sense. Other than that little anomaly, they are really good people.

On a totally different note, there is one of us here who has the sense to sleep when he is tired. That can not necessarily be said of the entire group.
post #25 of 267 Old 02-22-14, 02:01 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

So not appreciating Crash Test Dummies and Gorilaz is anomalous? Must be something in that Nebraska water.

Well I never dreamed that the one of us that would be most critical about image precision and placement would be Sonnie. He has developed a keen ear, regardless of his claims.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #26 of 267 Old 02-22-14, 02:20 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Four down, two to go.

There has been some interesting discussion about test tracks. While there is a lot of overlap in our four areas of taste and musical preference, there are some tracks that are favorites for one and are barely - barely - tolerated by one or two others in the group. My Gorliiaz and Crash Test Dummies tracks, it turns out, are not popular with at least two of the three others here for the weekend (including our host, Sonnie) - the parties shall remain nameless. Go figure. And I thought I was giving them such a treat!

Ah, well, there is no accounting for taste. Referring to theirs, of course. Mine makes perfect sense. Other than that little anomaly, they are really good people.

On a totally different note, there is one of us here who has the sense to sleep when he is tired. That can not necessarily be said of the entire group.
I pulled up many of the tracks on YouTube yesterday. Well, CTD is not at the top of my list, but neither is Metallica or ACDC. Everything else I heard was interesting though not necessarily my thing. One I really liked was Tricycle. I will be exploring Flim some more. Melody Gardot and Cassandra Wilson might be acquired tastes for me. And I still have some more tracks to listen to.

Anxious to get your impressions, although I realize that's probably several days out.

I guess Sonnie has been spending too much time with electrostats to put up with mediocre imaging. Which reminds me -- I have read that electrostats are great at soundstaging but image specifity (image size and location) is not so precise. Did you all find that to be the case with Sonnie's Montis?
post #27 of 267 Old 02-22-14, 03:07 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

I found the Montis to be very precise in imaging. My experience with electrostatics and planars is that the planars are more fussy about the room and placement and as long as the listening position is also precise you can get tight imaging if placed properly in the right room. The curved panels of the ML are less fussy but still need careful placement, and when you hit the spot they are more tolerant of movement of the LP.

Sonnie and Wayne hit the spot with the Montis and it is a phenomenal speaker. I could not hear much to critique.

post #28 of 267 Old 02-22-14, 03:12 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Melody Gardot has grown on me, and the track we use is a good test for how a speaker deals with sibilance. Cassandra Wilson has not, but Strange Fruit is a great track to reveal a lot about speakers with. When speakers reveal all of the detail in her voice and the space in the music is open with the ambience precise, it touches something deep in me emotionally. Perhaps being from the south it has more impact. It also has a character to the performance that is dark and creepy that seems to come through with some better than others.

post #29 of 267 Old 02-22-14, 03:19 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I have NINE Cassandra Wilson CDs... phenomenal recordings. Of course my favorite Strange Fruit... and Come Into My Kitchen... incredible imaging and detail.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #30 of 267 Old 02-22-14, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Looking beyond musical preferences and focusing on Test Track qualities, what I like about Crash Test Dummies is the mix quality, extreme attention to sonic detail, lots of interesting little details, each given its own spot in the mix in terms of location and frequency spectrum. A speaker with a cohesive soundstage and tight, stable Image Clarity is able to resolve all of those details and present them clearly as individual little sonic entities separated by clear, quite space. At least that is the way it appears to me. If the speakers are not well matched or do not present a nice soundstage, the result is jumbled up and chaotic. The effect is easier to hear and visualize with a more complex recording. like many by the B-52s and Crash Test Dummies. That is why they make my list of test tracks.