The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 267 Old 02-23-14, 08:27 PM
a|F
Shackster

Re: The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I think many of us were hoping to see the Salks and Ascends go head to head. I was also hoping for a coaxial battle between Kef and Tannoy.

Of course this is not a shootout or comparison....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 267 Old 02-23-14, 08:34 PM
Shackster

Pete

Quote:
a|F wrote: View Post
I think many of us were hoping to see the Salks and Ascends go head to head. I was also hoping for a coaxial battle between Kef and Tannoy.

Of course this is not a shootout or comparison....
There were many speakers in an event in northern Wisconsin a few years ago. Ascends were there. That discussion was on AVS I believe. Maybe search under the Salk or Speaker categories there. I was there. Seaton was there as well.

Found it:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324185/se...er-speaker-gtg

2 channel: TRL Dude preamp, Lampizator L4/G4 dac, TRL Samson monoblocks, Salk Soundscape 8's, BPT Ultra 3.5, DIY power cords
Shared HT: Mitsubishi HC5000BL PJ, Onkyo PR-SC885P Processor, Oppo 103D, ATI 1505, Rythmik 12SE, Salk SS8's, Berkline 088's, Aura bass shakers
post #53 of 267 Old 02-23-14, 10:22 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
a|F wrote: View Post
I'm unfamiliar, could you provide a link, please?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tup-guide.html
post #54 of 267 Old 02-24-14, 12:37 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

. . . . Eerie silence . . . . cue the crickets . . .

I know it will be a few days before any reviews start showing up, but I'm going crazy here! I guess I should pretend that this thread doesn't exist until the end of the week.
post #55 of 267 Old 02-24-14, 04:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
I don't recall any food pics either?!
post #56 of 267 Old 02-25-14, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
I bought that album when it first came out. Even back in the day, on sub par systems, I remember thinking that it just sounded good. Srings, vocals, piano were all very clear.
THANK YOU! Apparently I am not totally insane!

On to other matters:

Well, the party is over. Now we have to sift through our notes and generate some snazzy reports for our patient and faithful readers. We will try to start feeding some bits of results in a couple of days, Of course the bigger writeups will take longer to complete.

Joe took a plethora of photos, has probably uploaded most of them already. I will start filling in the "reserved" posts with photos, specs, the report outlines, and some tidbits of results info. As for "fun" pics, some of those might just end up in a "Misc Stuff That Happened" post.

POST #1 WAS JUST UPDATED WITH THE FOLLOWING!
  • Associated Equipment - A little about the support equipment we used.
  • Thoughts On Placing Expensive Speakers Close To A Wall - We have talked about this before, but for the sake of being thorough...
  • Our Test Sequence - Gotta have a process to follow. Ours changes every time we get together. We got to where we were marching like the mechanical figures in one of those fancy clock movements, everyone had a job and knew it and we stayed in sync and clicked along until we were done.
  • Initial Results - Just a few to spark your curiosity.
We are working, working, working on the results, will get them ready to post ASAP. And are putting together some initial thoughts about our next evaluation get-together.
post #57 of 267 Old 02-26-14, 12:17 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
THANK YOU! Apparently I am not totally insane!

On to other matters:

Well, the party is over. Now we have to sift through our notes and generate some snazzy reports for our patient and faithful readers. We will try to start feeding some bits of results in a couple of days, Of course the bigger writeups will take longer to complete.

Joe took a plethora of photos, has probably uploaded most of them already. I will start filling in the "reserved" posts with photos, specs, the report outlines, and some tidbits of results info. As for "fun" pics, some of those might just end up in a "Misc Stuff That Happened" post.

POST #1 WAS JUST UPDATED WITH THE FOLLOWING!
  • Associated Equipment - A little about the support equipment we used.
  • Thoughts On Placing Expensive Speakers Close To A Wall - We have talked about this before, but for the sake of being thorough...
  • Our Test Sequence - Gotta have a process to follow. Ours changes every time we get together. We got to where we were marching like the mechanical figures in one of those fancy clock movements, everyone had a job and knew it and we stayed in sync and clicked along until we were done.
  • Initial Results - Just a few to spark your curiosity.
We are working, working, working on the results, will get them ready to post ASAP. And are putting together some initial thoughts about our next evaluation get-together.
Love the close to the wall tests! Can't wait to see the results for that part of the test.

I was a bit over mentioning the Oppo 105 and then stating that you used a USB stick in the 5509 instead. The Oppo's Sabre DACs get seriously good reviews, not that the Burr-Brown's don't, but I'm wondering why have the Oppo at all if you aren't using it? Perhaps my reading comprehension after a long day is in need of some improvement?

All I know is that even with the extra cabling (albeit some of Silnotes' finest XLR cables), using my Oppo 95 (via pure direct on the 8801) provides better results with digital files than the Marantz 8801 does, even with Audyssey engaged.

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro
Arcam P1000 amp
Oppo BDP-95 blu ray player
ATC SCM-19 v2 L&R speakers
B&W LCR6 center speaker
B&W CDS6 surround speakers
Velodyne SPL-1000 Subs (2)
VTI speaker stands for L&R speakers
Sony XBR65x850a 4K
post #58 of 267 Old 02-26-14, 12:32 AM
Shackster

Happily waiting. Must've checked the thread 9 times today. Great stuff!

We all find what we're looking for, whether we know it or not.
post #59 of 267 Old 02-26-14, 04:56 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
admranger wrote: View Post
Love the close to the wall tests! Can't wait to see the results for that part of the test.

I was a bit over mentioning the Oppo 105 and then stating that you used a USB stick in the 5509 instead. The Oppo's Sabre DACs get seriously good reviews, not that the Burr-Brown's don't, but I'm wondering why have the Oppo at all if you aren't using it? Perhaps my reading comprehension after a long day is in need of some improvement?

All I know is that even with the extra cabling (albeit some of Silnotes' finest XLR cables), using my Oppo 95 (via pure direct on the 8801) provides better results with digital files than the Marantz 8801 does, even with Audyssey engaged.
We did use the Oppo, though we did not do any comparisons of the two devices. I would not expect much difference as both are competent converters, but perhaps it is something we could do. Comparing level matched analog line level signals would be rather easy to see if there actually is any differnce and what it might be.

The complete reviews take a while, but I can tell you that there were some clear patterns, though some performed relatively better near the wall than others. Generally, as expected, the bass was reinforced and the depth of image was reduced. There was still significant imaging on all of the speakers, but the soundstage was generally not as wide and deep and the image was more diffuse. There was generally little difference between the on axis and perpendicular orientations at the wall, and some of the speakers behaved just a bit differently with respect to any imaging improvements. Any changes were very small, however, compared to moving them out.

I find your interest in near wall placement and different DACs a curious juxtaposition. Not trying to be critical, just curious. The difference between placing a speaker near the wall is orders of magnitude greater on any conceivable scale than any potential difference between converters. Even moving the speakers a few inches or degrees can make differences that are likely greater. Are you just curious about the near wall performance because most people do so or are you limited to such placement yourself? The reason that I ask is that we had this discussion before deciding to do the tests. From our perspective it is a big waste of time, as no speaker we have ever heard performs better near a wall, unless the priority is bass emphasis. The single greatest variable in any system beyond perhaps the speakers themselves is generally placement.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #60 of 267 Old 02-26-14, 05:17 PM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Quote:
admranger wrote: View Post
The Oppo's Sabre DACs get seriously good reviews, not that the Burr-Brown's don't
Yep, that's the nature of purely anecdotal "listening" (while being cognizant of the raves btw).
Now if someone who thinks the Sabre sounds "better", wants to step up to the plate and pick it over the Burr-Browns in a controlled, ears only/no peeking listening session....

Otherwise, one anecdote is as good as any other.

cheers