REW noob - Please analyse my 1st measure - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 01-29-15, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: REW noob - Please analyse my 1st measure

AudiocRaver the ports are at the front, in the manual it does advise having them horizontally so I will change to that and try to get them into a better position to flatten the peak. Thanks a lot for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 01-29-15, 06:34 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Fowleja wrote: View Post
AudiocRaver the ports are at the front, in the manual it does advise having them horizontally so I will change to that and try to get them into a better position to flatten the peak. Thanks a lot for your help.
Doubt if the horizontal orientation will change frequency response by much, easy to try though. Probably not as good for imaging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-30-15, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yeah good point, I'm sure I will just need to keep tweaking their placement to get the best spot for them. My room is only 200cm wide so I'm bit limited in where they can actually go.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-31-15, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I've just redone calibration and measurements to try it again. Monitors are 45cm away from side walls and about 5cm from back wall. Angled in towards my listening position to give me about 11cm equilateral triangle.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-31-15, 04:46 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

There we go, you are definitely getting legit measurements.

Frequency response match between L & R is very good.

I know the conventional wisdom is point tweeters straight at LP for best freq response, but that rarely gives good soundstage & imaging (SS&I), imo. Try (along with reflection matching, below) angling speakers out past shoulder tips or beyond, see if it gets sharper. Small FR sacrifice can give BIG SS&I benefits. If you are mixing, though, FR might be more important.

Look at Overlays > Impulse > %FS (upper left corner) > -0.001 to 0.020 horizontal scale > L & R plots only. Symmetrical placement, distances from walls & LP, treatments, etc, should give matching major reflections.
  • Your L plot has a set of reflections from 5 to 6.6 mS, same set on R plot is 4.5 to 6.1 mS.
  • L reflection at 11.6 mS vs 11.2 mS on R.
  • More of the same farther out.
Basic rule, make them match to 100 uS (50 uS is better), you will be amazed at the SS&I improvement. The ones that do not pair up or cannot be made to match because of room weirdness should be eliminated via treatment, in your case absorption because your RT60 is high (0.5 sec). Reflections are not bad if they pair up and match closely.

HF response still looks pretty good, the plots should match even closer with above reflection matching & treatment.

LF peaks at 56 and 128 will probably need EQ. Notch at 240 HZ is from reflection off the front wall cancelling at front of speaker, should get better with absorption behind the speakers.

Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-31-15, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

You have been more than helpful mate, really appreciate your advice.