Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 vs Roland UA-55 Quad-Capture

17K views 34 replies 5 participants last post by  jtalden 
#1 ·
Hi please can someone tell me which is the better choice?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I do not know much about the Scarlet. I have a Quad-Capture, though.

One thing I really like about it is the mixer panel in the device driver has a numeric gain indication for each of the two mic preamps, in 0.5 dB increments. So the gain can be set with high repeatability. It is very convenient for gain calibration.

My one complaint is that it does not have a LED indicator for Phantom Power On. Seems like a no-brainer, almost every cheap interface has one. It is not a show-stopper, though. I really like the numeric gain readout.

#4 ·
Not really a digital control. The only control is the knob on the front panel of the Quad-Capture, which is an analog control, no detents, pure analog.

But there is a digital READOUT of the gain set by that knob. So it can easily be set to any desired gain, in 0.5 dB increments.

For instance, when I want to calibrate the gain for use with my BeyerDynamic MM-1 mic with REW, I know that the +27.0 dB gain setting is just right for a 75 dB SPL with a -30 dBFS measured input level. I just
  • turn on some periodic pink noise, the precise level does not matter
  • turn the input gain for the mic preamp to 27.0 dB
  • NOW adjust the REW output level so the measured input llevel is -30 dBFS on the REW SPL meter
  • click on CALIBRATE, enter 75.0 for the SPL reading, click on FINISH.
  • calibration is DONE!

#7 ·
I use the 2i2 audio interface. It is a very good inexpensive audio interface for REW use. It has a couple very minor shortcomings, but is basically as capable as any of the other low priced units. Its shortcomings are unlikely to be significant for any of the typical REW applications.

I also have an easy method to calibrate the REW SPL meter when using the 2i2. It does not require an SLM. The method could be used for other similar audio interfaces as well. The advantage of the process is that it is quick and easy. It is almost as easy as the method Wayne found for the Quad-Capture Interface. It only requires a TRS to XLR loopback cable. For those that change the input gain on the audio interface between REW sessions this is much easier than using the SLM method or the method using a multi-meter. [It is basically a simplification of the multi-meter method I previously used.]

I can provide details if you or others will find this helpful.

#9 ·
I also have an easy method to calibrate the REW SPL meter when using the 2i2. It does not require an SLM. The method could be used for other similar audio interfaces as well. The advantage of the process is that it is quick and easy. It is almost as easy as the method Wayne found for the Quad-Capture Interface. It only requires a TRS to XLR loopback cable. For those that change the input gain on the audio interface between REW sessions this is much easier than using the SLM method or the method using a multi-meter. [It is basically a simplification of the multi-meter method I previously used.]

I can provide details if you or others will find this helpful.
I, for one, am curious what you have come up with. Please share.

Does the Quad Capture have digital readouts for inputs and outputs?
Only for the first two inputs. Not for inputs 3 and 4 (digital) and not for the outputs.

I think the digital readout, this would be handy like you say for re assurance that it is exactly at the correct setting like you say bumping etc.

So I need a reference reading/point for SPL
Yes, initially. This can be done with a borrowed SPL meter, or with a UMIK-1 or similar calibrated USB mic that has the reference gain in the mic calibration file. Once it has been determined, and the input gain is set as described above, that reference meter or mic is no longer needed for that purpose. So, if there is a way to borrow such a reference, you will only need it for a short time. Some would want to keep a SPL measurement reference around for quick level checks or whatever, and some would be fine without it. That is your call.

I thought there is a XTZ pro mic calibration file?
Oops. Yes, you are correct, there is one. I had forgotten that.

The only driver needed is the Windows generic driver. And there is a single calibration file which works for all XTZ Pro mics, not a unique calibration file for each mic manufactured, like most other calibrated mics. The XTZ Pro mics are designed and manufactured (or selected) to work with that calibration file. The calibration file covers the range from 10 Hz to 22 kHz.

#8 ·
Hi Wayne thank you very much

Does the Quad Capture have digital readouts for inputs and outputs?
I think the digital readout, this would be handy like you say for re assurance that it is exactly at the correct setting like you say bumping etc.

So I need a reference reading/point for SPL

I thought there is a XTZ pro mic calibration file?

Thanks again

#17 · (Edited)
Hi Wayne thanks I wondered about the lower frequencies.

Please can you clarify for XLR mics, I have a Steinberg CI-1 pre-soundcard
• For loopback Input 2 to output 2 TRS > TRS or XLR > TRS
• For SPL calibration Input 2 to output 2 TRS > TRS
• For mic cable should be XLR > XLR

For the loopback should the input level (2 or B can't remember) be the same as the mic input or does it not matter?

With SPL using DVM do I measure the input 2 or the mic (input 1)?

Maybe quicker if you could post a photo of the setup (if you can of course)?

Thanks again

#18 ·
Hi Wayne thanks I wondered about the lower frequencies.

Please can you clarify for XLR mics, I have a Steinberg CI-1 pre-soundcard
• For loopback Input 2 to output 2 TRS > TRS or XLR > TRS
• For SPL calibration Input 2 to output 2 TRS > TRS
• For mic cable should be XLR > XLR
timing loopoback: TRS - TRS
SPL calibration: TRS - TRS
mic: XLR - XLR

For the loopback should the input level (2 or B can't remember) be the same as the mic input or does it not matter?
It does not matter.

not sure, I'll get back to you

#22 ·
The mic input is used for SPL measurements. The gain for input 2 is set arbitrarily, so while that input serves a critical purpose for timing measurement, it does not for amplitude measurement.

Maybe quicker if you could post a photo of the setup (if you can of course)?

Thanks again
I wish it was quicker. Posting photos is never "quicker" with forum software.

#28 ·
I didn't realize that the calibration process I suggested could damage the audio interface if the phantom power was not disabled. I think that thread should be deleted as it is very easy to make that mistake. I am surprised I have not made that mistake already.

Will the Staff please remove it? Link

#30 · (Edited)
If my 2i2 can be damaged if phantom power on while the loopback cable is connected that is not good. I presume the situation is similar for many other audio interface boxes. While I am willing to take this risk myself, I am not ready to suggest that someone else to use this method. A simple mistake in the process can be too costly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.