Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA - Page 14 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #131 of 368 Old 04-10-11, 09:38 AM
Senior Shackster
Michael

Re: Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA

Herb,

given that at 5Hz, the error range is 10db, what is the usable frequency range of EMM-6?
Also, taking humidity, temperature and other environmental factors, what would be the real-life precision of the calibrated EMM-6 across that range? Better than 3db? Better than 1db?
If I put the 'wind shield' on the mic, will it reflect the measurements?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 368 Old 04-10-11, 10:08 AM
Shackster
Tony

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
However in room acoustics applications where the mic is picking up sound waves that are bouncing off the walls/ceiling/floor and arriving at the mic in arbitrary directions, the additional frequency response correction curves allow the user greater flexibility in using the mics. For room-correction/room acoustics applications, I typically recommend pointing the microphone straight up at the ceiling (with a slight tilt toward the main speakers) and using the 90-degree correction curve.
Received your 8000 a couple of weeks back and I am having a blast using it. I am using the 90-degree correction curve and pointing the mic up with a slight tilt towards the speaker I am testing. I wonder what kind of inaccuracies in the higher frequencies, if any, are there with the interaction of a hard (low, about 7 feet) surface ceiling. Perhaps I should use the 45-degree curve instead?

-Tony
post #133 of 368 Old 04-10-11, 10:16 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
michael123 wrote: View Post
Herb,

given that at 5Hz, the error range is 10db, what is the usable frequency range of EMM-6?
I'm not sure I understand the question. With a correction curve, the usaable range is 5 Hz to 25 kHz. Without a correction curve, it's probably something like 80 Hz to 6 kHz.

Quote:
Also, taking humidity, temperature and other environmental factors, what would be the real-life precision of the calibrated EMM-6 across that range? Better than 3db? Better than 1db?
Environmental factors won't make a huge different unless you're using them in extremes (0 degrees F, 120 degrees F in the rain, etc). If you are using the mic in a standard comfortable environment (say 60-80 degrees F, 20-70% humidity), the differences in the mic response are on the order of tenths of decibiels.

Quote:
If I put the 'wind shield' on the mic, will it reflect the measurements?
The windscreen changes the response by about 0.5 to 1 dB above ~ 12 kHz.

post #134 of 368 Old 04-10-11, 10:18 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
distox wrote: View Post
Received your 8000 a couple of weeks back and I am having a blast using it. I am using the 90-degree correction curve and pointing the mic up with a slight tilt towards the speaker I am testing. I wonder what kind of inaccuracies in the higher frequencies, if any, are there with the interaction of a hard (low, about 7 feet) surface ceiling. Perhaps I should use the 45-degree curve instead?

-Tony
It's going to depend on how diffuse the sound field is in your room. If there's is a lot of energy coming from the ceiling, you might want to experiment with the 45 or 0 curves, but if the reflections are more random and coming in all directions, stick with the 90.

Experiment, and then figure out what sounds better to your ears.
post #135 of 368 Old 04-10-11, 10:39 AM
Senior Shackster

pepar

Quote:
It's going to depend on how diffuse the sound field is in your room. If there's is a lot of energy coming from the ceiling, you might want to experiment with the 45 or 0 curves, but if the reflections are more random and coming in all directions, stick with the 90.

Experiment, and then figure out what sounds better to your ears.
Is the orientation/cal used driven by the measurement being taken, e.g. 0° for the FR of an individual speaker, but 90° for decay/RT?

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
is a neverending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #136 of 368 Old 04-10-11, 10:44 AM
Shackster
Tony

How do I know how diffuse my room is or how much energy is coming from the ceiling? I don't want to trust my ears first, I want to know what is correct, then I can tell my ears that it is correct and then choose what sounds good to me.
post #137 of 368 Old 04-10-11, 10:48 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
pepar wrote: View Post
Is the orientation/cal used driven by the measurement being taken, e.g. 0° for the FR of an individual speaker, but 90° for decay/RT?

Jeff
Yes.
post #138 of 368 Old 04-10-11, 10:56 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
distox wrote: View Post
How do I know how diffuse my room is or how much energy is coming from the ceiling? I don't want to trust my ears first, I want to know what is correct, then I can tell my ears that it is correct and then choose what sounds good to me.
Diffuse means that reflections have an equal probability of coming from any direction and it's a matter of how reflective the surfaces in your room are. If you have an empty four-sided with a floor and ceiling, and all 6 surfaces are acoustically "hard" you can consider that to be a diffuse environment (for the pendants out there, I'm simplifying) where reflections will be bouncing around between the surfaces in all directions. At the other extreme, if the four walls and floor are completely covered in absorptive material (thick carpet, thick curtains, etc) but the ceiling is still acoustically hard, most of the reflections in the room will be coming from the ceiling and the room is not diffuse.

The 0-degree curve should be used when the mic is pointed in the direction of the sound source (or the reflection source if it's known and dominant). As the source of reflections become more spread out, you move toward the off-axis correction curves.
post #139 of 368 Old 04-10-11, 10:58 AM
Senior Shackster

pepar

Quote:
(for the pendants out there, I'm simplifying)
You probably mean "pedantics", but then I'd be one if I pointed that out.

is a neverending story!

post #140 of 368 Old 04-10-11, 01:09 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
pepar wrote: View Post
You probably mean "pedantics", but then I'd be one if I pointed that out.
Touché