Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #151 of 366 Old 05-25-11, 03:36 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike R

Quote:
Anechoic wrote:

There's a reason they call me a miracle worker.
My mic came on 5/23!
Thx for fast service, raining today so instead of cutting the grass I'll be taking acoustic measurements.

Mike R,P.E.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 366 Old 05-26-11, 06:02 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike R

Re: Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA

Quote:
mtbdudex wrote: View Post
My mic came on 5/23!
Thx for fast service, raining today so instead of cutting the grass I'll be taking acoustic measurements.
Well, last night I was able to at least test my 3 year old ECM8000 + generic HTS cal file vs the one I got from Cross-Spectrum Labs (CSL).

Good news is my prior measurements taken with the 3 year old set-up (in LFE) are pretty close to the CSL one.
I can say though my original generic ECM8000 HTS mic cal file (from mid-2008) is vastly different for corrections than the recent (Feb-2011 date?) HTS generic ECM8000 mic cal file.
I was comparing them Monday, I had kept the older one on my work laptop which I originally used for REW before trying REW5 on my iMac.

This is my IB sub at 2nd row 2nd seat position, no EQ, no Audyssey.

I did NOT adjust anything at all in REW5.
1st graph is "old" set up stock ECM8000 + generic HTS cal file,
2nd graph is stock ECM8000 + new CSL cal file (to see the a vs b cal file diff before replacing with new mic),
3rd graph is CSL calibrated ECM8000 with its specific cal file (the narrow band 90deg one, as I was taking LFE and pointed at the ceiling).

I then started taking many-many LFE measurements, comparing on my Denon A/V 4308CI Ext-In (sub alone) vs Aux In (RH/LH) diff xover points for mains(40/60/80 hz), diff Audyssey settings, etc.
You can get "lost" in doing that - in a fun/hobby way, even with putting notes in each measurement box which I do.

I won't plot those here, I will compare the Mid-Hi freq and plot those later as well though.

Again, thx CSL for quick turnaround, now I feel confident posting my graphs with a calibrated set-up.
Well, my RS digital sound level meter is not calibrated....so at worst I'm a few db off from a "datum" point of view, means not much unless you start "bragging" about how much spl your sub outputs, like some people in sub shoot out meets tend to do......(hey, were all friends still, right? Even if my sub kicks you subs ....I digress too much and will stop the banter...)

Mike R,P.E.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 05-26-11 at 08:01 AM.
post #153 of 366 Old 07-29-11, 07:16 PM
Grant

Just Ordered an EMM-6...

Hi Herb

I just ordered a Premium+ EMM-6 from your website. Thanks for making these tools so affordable.

The ($5) joke is on me... after sending payment, I read about the HTS member discount you've offered.

Oh well... win some/ loose some. I'm really looking forward to getting the package in the mail.

Cheers,
Grant
post #154 of 366 Old 07-29-11, 07:19 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Re: Just Ordered an EMM-6...

Quote:
gjwaudio wrote: View Post
Hi Herb

I just ordered a Premium+ EMM-6 from your website. Thanks for making these tools so affordable.

The ($5) joke is on me... after sending payment, I read about the HTS member discount you've offered.

Oh well... win some/ loose some. I'm really looking forward to getting the package in the mail.

Cheers,
Grant
No worries Grant, I got your back.

Just be advised that I'm still on the road so it will be about a week before your mic will ship
post #155 of 366 Old 07-29-11, 07:26 PM
Grant

Re: Quick Delivery...

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
Just be advised that I'm still on the road so it will be about a week before your mic will ship
..ONLY a week ?? That's great. It will take me that long to figure out the REW program and how to make it sing and dance with my E-MU 0404 USB !

Thanks again Herb.

Cheers,
Grant

ps: THANK YOU for sending the five bucks back !
post #156 of 366 Old 08-05-11, 01:40 AM

Herb:

The Home Theater Shack site has calibration files for several SPL meters for use with the REW software. I decided against the CM-130 or the Radio Shack meters because neither meets IEC/ANSI ceritification. I bought the American Recorder SPL-8810 instead. This is the unit sold by the Guitar Center chain, and it is IEC certified. Of course, I did this not realizing that I would need a calibration file...

Have you perchance already done an REW calibration that is appropriate for this unit? If so, what would it take to get you to release that calibration file for posting here on the HTS site?

Regards,

shap
post #157 of 366 Old 08-05-11, 01:51 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Hi Shap,

I haven't handled an SPL-8810 (it appears to be another Chinese OEM'd meter that several companies but a name plate on), so I don't have any calibration data to share, sorry.

From what I can can find, the SPL-8810 doesn't appear to have a line output, so I couldn't generate a calibration file for it anyway (at least without a lot of effort of manually checking various tones and plotting the freq response manually).
post #158 of 366 Old 08-05-11, 01:57 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply. Indeed it has no line out. More fool I for blindingly prioritizing certification, but it will probably do for my immediate purposes.

shap
post #159 of 366 Old 08-16-11, 06:07 PM
Grant

EMM-6 Arrived Aug/11 - Thanks !

Hi Herb

Just wanted to say Thank You for the quick delivery of my EMM-6 - it arrived last week (Aug. 11) safe and sound.

After a little head-scratching (and perhaps the odd, muted cuss word) I found a way to convert the .FRD calibration file to a .TXT file that Smaart7 would import. (open .FRD in Excel as space-delimited file/ delete column 1/ save as space-delimited .TXT file).

Funny how just renaming a copy of the original FRD file to TXT wouldn't work.

Now the real fun begins - working my room to assess & improve the acoustics (with REW & Smaart results to guide me).

Cheers,
Grant
post #160 of 366 Old 09-09-11, 06:57 AM
Shackster

My System
Re: EMM-6 Arrived Aug/11 - Thanks !

Just want to say I used cross spectrum for my purchase of EMM-6 mic, they had great service and shipping and that was all the way to Norway

Something to think about for the overseas customers

-
-
-
-
-