Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #161 of 368 Old 12-12-11, 05:05 PM
JMB
Shackster
Jay

Response to Dennis H. post #28, I believe

Crossover design phase issues are relative; we are not using absolute phase to design the crossover. If you use the same microphone for all of your measurements, phase error should not be an issue. I believe that John K. has a post on the diyaudio.com site discussing this.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 368 Old 01-21-12, 07:38 AM
Shackster
amaury.dg

Re: Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA

I've just received my mic calibrated by Herb !

Very good job and a quick shipment !

Now go and measure
post #163 of 368 Old 01-21-12, 08:40 AM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

Herb's the best! Always very quick on delivery.

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!

post #164 of 368 Old 01-21-12, 02:19 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
cavchameleon wrote: View Post
Herb's the best! Always very quick on delivery.
Well, not always (unfortunately). In fact I'm working up some mics and meters today that (when all is said and done) will have shipped out about 3-4 days after folks placed their orders. It comes down to a) do I have product in stock, and b) am I actually around to ship the products. Most times folks get lucky and I can move stuff fairly quickly. Some folks aren't nearly so lucky.

I'm hoping that in the next six to twelve months I can hire on some help and ship things more consistently. But for now, I'm trying my best.
post #165 of 368 Old 03-21-12, 02:27 AM

This might be a dumb question, but why isn't Cross Spectrum accredited by ANSI, ISO, etc?
post #166 of 368 Old 03-21-12, 09:53 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Bandicoot wrote: View Post
This might be a dumb question, but why isn't Cross Spectrum accredited by ANSI, ISO, etc?
Going through that process would require a statistical analysis of my processes, calibrations of my measurement equipment made directly against NIST primary sources (as opposed to know where my equipment is calibrated by cal labs who in turn have their equipment calibrated against primary sources) and annual inspections/audits by certifying agencies, all of which I have to pay for. (it may also require that I set up a stable temperature/humidity environment but I'm not positive about that). I would also have higher insurance costs since any "accredited" mics/services I offer might be used by customers for multi-million dollar projects where measurement accuracy is paramount (environmental noise, concert hall renovations, etc) and if something went wrong I could be liable for heavy damages. I looked into it a while back, and the initial costs for all of this would be in the low mid-five figures (upgrading equipment, performing statistical analysis, upgrade my lab, etc), and the annual audit/inspection costs would be in the low-five figures. And that's just for ANSI/NVLAP (USA) accreditation, ISO and IEC have much stricter requirements.

I could do it, but then the prices I would have to charge to recoup my costs would be similar to what other NIST-traceable labs have to spend: ~$150 for mic basic calibrations, $250+ for meter calibrations, etc. And at that point I would be directly competing with the few dozen other NIST-traceable labs around the country, and frankly there wouldn't be much point.

As the other parts of my business grow there is always the possibility that we may decide to gt NVLAP accreditation for other purposes and in that case I may let the mic biz free-ride on that accreddition, but that is a long ways off.
post #167 of 368 Old 03-27-12, 03:13 AM

News from Spain.

I'm just receiving a EMM6 Basic+ calibrated mic from CSL. Thanks Herb for your very good job. Only 7 days from payment. This is awesome speedy.

And mic appears great. Response curve is almost flat from 20 to 3Khz, and only a few crest of 4dB at 12.5 Khz.
Cal files have a lot of intermediate values.
I am very happy and wanting to play with it.

What I did not expect was the size of this micro. I have another Audyssey microphone, and is smaller. It seems that size does matter, even in the micro world

Again thanks Herb.
post #168 of 368 Old 04-27-12, 08:24 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Is it possible to get the omnimic run through your calibration process and provide a correction file????
post #169 of 368 Old 04-27-12, 10:11 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
JimP wrote: View Post
Is it possible to get the omnimic run through your calibration process and provide a correction file????
There are two issues with calibrating the omnimic microphone:
  1. 2
  2. The version I saw last year only worked with the Omnimic software. I've heard rumors that has changed with recent versions and that now the Omnimic shows up as a USB audio device - if that's true, than I can use it with my rig, otherwise I can't measure it (at least not easilly)
  3. The diameter of the Omnimic mic I played with wasn't a standard diameter (I don't understand why mics manufacturers do this, the industry has standardized on 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 1" for decades now), which makes it harder for me to use in my low-frequency jig.

Assuming the mic does show up as a USB audio device, if someone wants to send one to me, I'll check it out.
post #170 of 368 Old 04-28-12, 04:37 AM
Elite Shackster

[QUOTE=Anechoic;518876]Assuming the mic does show up as a USB audio device

Where would it show up as USB Audio Device e.g. in REW?

Would it show up as USB Audio Device or possibly something else?