Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA - Page 19 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #181 of 368 Old 05-28-12, 12:15 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: I must be doing something wrong

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
The cal files for your meter look kosher. Try checking in the REW forum to make sure there isn't something wrong with the software settings.
I tried RS meter with generic calibration and got the same weirdness. This rules out the bad meter theory. I am taking this to the REW forum.

Thank you for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 368 Old 06-13-12, 10:55 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Re: Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA

A couple updates to calibrated mic/meter sales:
  • I've started shipping calibration files on 128k USB thumb drives rather than mini-CD's. For those concern about virii that might have been infected the drives at the factories, my script reformats the drive prior to copying over the cal files so that should mitigate the danger.
  • Meter/mic shipments will be backordered for a couple weeks while I send my reference microphone to calibration lab for its biennial NIST-traceable calibration. I have a few mics and 1 meter in stock, but after that it may be a week or so before shipments resume.
  • Also, after careful consideration I've decided to drop the Basic and Premium options and to just sell Basic+ & Premium+ mics. I sell something like 10 Basic mics and 1-2(!) Premium mics per year, so for me the extra options (and having to spend time explaining those options) just isn't worth it.
post #183 of 368 Old 06-20-12, 11:33 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

Hi Anechoic,

I'm interested in the Dayton mic. You mentioned on another page that the Dayton mic was flatter and more reliable than the Behringer. My question is, does it really matter if there are variations between these models if you are going to apply a correction file to correct the response?

So in other words, why spend $200-300 on a mic, when a cheapie, relatively speaking with a correction file can get close or similar results? Just need to understand the need for expensive mics.

All I want is to measure the room, set speaker and subwoofer levels correctly (currently using a Radioshack meter) and I want my measurements to be repeatable, so I need some accuracy. I've never used REW, but I'm almost made up my mind on the Dayton mic (if you could please tell me whether it should or needs to be calibrated) with Tascam US-122 MKII (USB sound card with phantom power).

post #184 of 368 Old 06-20-12, 12:37 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Vaughan100 wrote: View Post
Hi Anechoic,

I'm interested in the Dayton mic. You mentioned on another page that the Dayton mic was flatter and more reliable than the Behringer. My question is, does it really matter if there are variations between these models if you are going to apply a correction file to correct the response?
In theory it shouldn't matter. However having to make large adjustements (especially at the lower frequencies) may cause distortion problems, so if folks want to minimize and potential problems, they should go with the mics that are flatter out-of-the-box (typically the Daytons, although that's not as true now as it was a few years ago).

Quote:
So in other words, why spend $200-300 on a mic, when a cheapie, relatively speaking with a correction file can get close or similar results? Just need to understand the need for expensive mics.
Flatter (meaning: more expensive) mics allow you some flexibility, the most important being that you can use it with any analyzer without needing a calibration file. The more expensive mics also have other features such as lower noise floors, higher SPL limits, better insensitivity to temperature & humidity variations, higher sensitivities and so on.
post #185 of 368 Old 06-20-12, 01:50 PM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

Thanks for answering my question Anechoic. So in your opinion, for measuring frequency response in the room, would you choose the Dayton over the Behringer and would you still have it calibrated, or would you rather rely on a correction file? Just trying to make up my mind which is better for the application.
post #186 of 368 Old 06-20-12, 02:10 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Thanks for answering my question Anechoic. So in your opinion, for measuring frequency response in the room, would you choose the Dayton over the Behringer and would you still have it calibrated, or would you rather rely on a correction file? Just trying to make up my mind which is better for the application.
(keeping in mind that I'm selling calibrated Daytons and Behringers and it's in my interest to convince you to buy my mics rather than buying them from others)

I would wholeheartedly recommend against buying an uncalibrated Behringer ECM8000. There is too much variability - you never know when you may wind up getting an ECM8000 with a frequency-response like this. Not to mention that a good percentage of ECM8000's have problems out of the box.

The Dayton mics straight from PE come with a 20Hz - 20kHz calibration file. I think my cal files are more accurate, but it you're looking to save some money, the factory cal curve is certainly good enough.

The mics I sell come with 90-degree correction curves and for room measurements I recommending pointing the mic at the ceiling (tilted slightly toward front speakers) and using the 90-degree correction curve. The off-the-shelf Dayton only comes with 0-degree correction curves, which can be useful might might require some experimentation for room acoustics purposes. My calibrations are also performed from 5Hz to 25 kHz, if you care about the lower bass, the factory Dayton curve may not be sufficient.
post #187 of 368 Old 06-20-12, 02:14 PM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

Thank you for the in-depth reply! I don't require 5 Hz measurements .. and I'm not a speaker designer, just want to measure my room, check before and after and make sure the results are accurate.

I sent you a PM. Thanks.
post #188 of 368 Old 06-20-12, 02:18 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Thank you for the in-depth reply! I don't require 5 Hz measurements .. and I'm not a speaker designer, just want to measure my room, check before and after and make sure the results are accurate.

I sent you a PM. Thanks.
It may be that the factory Daytons from PE will work for you, especially if you're just making before & after comparisons.
post #189 of 368 Old 06-20-12, 02:21 PM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

Thanks again. Will keep in touch with you concerning the mic, as I think that's the one to go for.
post #190 of 368 Old 07-05-12, 02:13 PM
Shackster
Rog

I want to add my thanks and appreciation to the quality service that Cross-Spectrum is providing. I had read some threads a while back discussing the Behringer mics and their use with REW, and the need to have a calibration file. I filed that away for future use and finally got around to ordering one the other day. I provided my HTS user i.d. on the PayPal order. Within a few minutes, Herb emailed me to let me know that the HTS discount doesn't apply to the Behringer's, and asked me whether I wanted to convert the order to a Dayton.

Since I was a little behind the curve in terms of my research, we exchanged some additional emails discussing the relative merits of each. That discussion convinced me that the Dayton was probably better technically, and a better deal financially. Herb changed the order the order as a result. I think that was fantastic.

Thanks for the great service. It's something that I greatly appreciate. I would recommend Cross Spectrum's service wholeheartedly.

I'm looking forward to another round of REW measurements and tweaking in the next couple of months. It will be interesting to compare results with the newer more accurate equipment with what I got with the Radio Shack meter.

Rog