Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA - Page 22 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #211 of 368 Old 11-22-12, 08:51 PM
Shackster

Ernie

My System
Re: Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA

Herb,
I have a pair of B&K 4007’s with the original factory Calibration charts, dated Jan. 1993.
I’m considering having you calibrate one of them for me so I will have a cal. file for REW.
Could you please advise of the current pricing and approximate return shipping cost to Canada.
I trust you didn’t indulge in too much turkey today. Thanks for all your comments and Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 368 Old 11-22-12, 08:57 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Sailor_Ernie wrote: View Post
Herb,
I have a pair of B&K 4007’s with the original factory Calibration charts, dated Jan. 1993.
I’m considering having you calibrate one of them for me so I will have a cal. file for REW.
Could you please advise of the current pricing and approximate return shipping cost to Canada.
I trust you didn’t indulge in too much turkey today. Thanks for all your comments and Cheers.
A basic calibration (on-axis frequency response only) is $55 per mic. Shipping is included for US customers, for Canada, I'll have to ask for $20 USD shipping. Two off-axis angles, polar response and sensitvity/noise floor are available for $10 extra each. $75 per mic gets you everything. Fee is payable with check or through PayPal. If you want to proceed, PM me and I'll send you shipping info.

edit: one thing to mention is that during my last job, we found that B&K mics were extremely fragile and we had around a 8-10 of them fail on us over the course of my tenure there (8 years). Depending on much you value these mics, you may want to consider if you really want to subject them to international shipping (or at least insure them).

Last edited by Anechoic; 11-22-12 at 09:03 PM.
post #213 of 368 Old 11-22-12, 09:52 PM
Shackster

Ernie

My System

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post

edit: one thing to mention is that during my last job, we found that B&K mics were extremely fragile and we had around a 8-10 of them fail on us over the course of my tenure there (8 years). Depending on much you value these mics, you may want to consider if you really want to subject them to international shipping (or at least insure them).
Thanks for the quick reply. I will have to consider your concern about possible damage and get back to you.

post #214 of 368 Old 11-22-12, 10:04 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
As an FYI in case anyone is interested, we eventually phased out the B&K mics for GRAS microphones and those things were about as bulletproof as you could get - I think we lost one during my tenure. My 7-year old ACO Pacific 7052 has also been a champion, it gets used nearly every day, and its last calibration (last June) showed no problems.
post #215 of 368 Old 12-18-12, 02:49 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

I posted elsewhere, but if I have my CM-140 calibrated would it give me better results when setting speaker and subwoofer levels with pink noise? Or would the standard CM-140 suffice for that role? My Radioshack meter was stolen, so I need another meter, but if the Cross Spectrum calibration offers better results then I would do it. Just need some advice here.
post #216 of 368 Old 12-18-12, 09:49 AM
Senior Shackster
John

Quote:
Vaughan100 wrote: View Post
I posted elsewhere, but if I have my CM-140 calibrated would it give me better results when setting speaker and subwoofer levels with pink noise? Or would the standard CM-140 suffice for that role? My Radioshack meter was stolen, so I need another meter, but if the Cross Spectrum calibration offers better results then I would do it. Just need some advice here.
Technically the noise a processor emits for the manual level setting operation is white noise, and no a "calibrated" meter will not really give better results. That's because (a) for a meter calibration does not change the frequency balance the meter senses, it only corrects the absolute level it reads and (b) the absolute level is not important when setting the channel levels as the most important thing about them is the relative level. That is unless you really care that 0 is "reference level"... but very few people care to listen at reference level and there's no reason to attempt to lose your hearing. You are best off considering the volume setting during regular listening to only be a relative indication and not worry about what the number is; just set it "by ear" to a level that allows you to hear most of the detail in a soundtrack while being comfortable.
post #217 of 368 Old 12-18-12, 09:59 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
aackthpt wrote: View Post
Technically the noise a processor emits for the manual level setting operation is white noise, and no a "calibrated" meter will not really give better results. That's because (a) for a meter calibration does not change the frequency balance the meter senses, it only corrects the absolute level it reads and (b) the absolute level is not important when setting the channel levels as the most important thing about them is the relative level. That is unless you really care that 0 is "reference level"... but very few people care to listen at reference level and there's no reason to attempt to lose your hearing. You are best off considering the volume setting during regular listening to only be a relative indication and not worry about what the number is; just set it "by ear" to a level that allows you to hear most of the detail in a soundtrack while being comfortable.
It depends on how Vaughan100 is using the meter and the type of "calibration" being discussed. In terms of just a simple level calibration (my Verified products) and the meter being used as a stand-alone device, aackthpt's post is entirely correct. My "Verified+" offer frequency correction curves in narrow-band and 1/3 octave band levels. The 1/3 octave band correction levels can be used to correct the response of the meter when used with pink noise (although doing it manually would be tedious). If the meter is connected to a reliable sound card (or a decent computer-on board audio), the narrow-band correction files can be used with programs like REW etc to correct for the meter response.

The calibrations do provide increased accuracy, but the difference is not as dramatic as it is for microphones like the ECM8000.
post #218 of 368 Old 12-18-12, 10:19 AM
Senior Shackster
John

Quote:
In terms of just a simple level calibration (my Verified products) and the meter being used as a stand-alone device
Thanks for the clarification; I was indeed making that assumption. I would never think of someone hooking a meter up to REW when just setting levels (seems like unnecessary effort) but I also guess I hadn't considered that someone might be setting levels between mains and sub by using sweeps or tones+RTA window, in which case calibration would definitely be desirable!

Oh well, we all know what "to assume" does....
post #219 of 368 Old 12-18-12, 10:57 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

I'm talking about setting levels to 75 dB for each speaker and subwoofer. Would the standard CM-140 suffice or would the calibrate (verified) offer better results? The whole reason for NOT using my ears is because the ears are usually unreliable for setting levels, hence why I need to verify what the levels are.

I just need clarification on the meter thing. If I'm burning cash for no reason then I'll just stick to the standard CM-140. I won't be using REW, just the internal pink noise in the AVR.
post #220 of 368 Old 12-18-12, 11:00 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Vaughan100 wrote: View Post
I'm talking about setting levels to 75 dB for each speaker and subwoofer. Would the standard CM-140 suffice or would the calibrate (verified) offer better results? The whole reason for NOT using my ears is because the ears are usually unreliable for setting levels, hence why I need to verify what the levels are.

I just need clarification on the meter thing. If I'm burning cash for no reason then I'll just stick to the standard CM-140. I won't be using REW, just the internal pink noise in the AVR.
The standard uncalibrated CM-140 tends to be within 1-3 dB of the actual SPL value out-of-the-box. That said, the verified meters I sell have been adjusted to the correct value and sell for about the same price you can get a CM-140 elsewhere (and a little cheaper with the HTS discount).