Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA - Page 27 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #261 of 368 Old 05-07-13, 12:11 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Re: Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA

Question: When will you be shipping UMM-6s again? The day when I ordered mine there was a message at the bottom of the page saying they would be shipping the week of May 6... so today I visit the page and see the message has now changed to read they will be shipping in 7 to 10 days... problem is I don't know how long that message has been up there. Are those only 'working' days or they 'regular' days of the week? Will I get an email when it ships? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 368 Old 05-07-13, 12:20 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Mics are shipping on a first-come/first-served basis, orders made from April 26 through yesterday should ship by the end of the week, new orders should ship by early next week, and (hopefully) orders made next week should be shipping in a few days. The 7-10 days are "normal" days, not working days (in other words, 1 to 1.5 weeks, not 1.5 to 2 weeks). You should get a shipping notification from USPS when the order ships.

Did you put your HTS username in the "Instructions to merchant" field when you made your order? I don't see "monomer" in any of the UMM-6 orders.

(If your initials are "ML", "CG" or "EI", your UMM-6 is shipping tomorrow)
post #263 of 368 Old 05-07-13, 12:25 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

No I didn't know I could do that? Was there some sort of discount for doing it?
Anyway, my initials are GC... that's with first name (Greg) followed by last name... in Michigan. I placed the order with CSL on April 26.

post #264 of 368 Old 05-07-13, 12:29 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Sorry, I meant "GC" (hey it is 1am!). Your order is shipping tomorrow.

You are entitled to a HTS discount, I'll take care of that right now.

I was traveling for business all of last week which is why there was a delay in filling orders. I got back midnight Sun/Mon, processed a dozen orders and those will ship on Tuesday (including yours).
post #265 of 368 Old 05-07-13, 12:45 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Yeah!!! on all accounts. I'm getting kinda excited now... I wasn't expecting it until next week sometime but its now looking like I might have it to play with this weekend. Great!!! Thanks...
post #266 of 368 Old 05-07-13, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
Effectively immediately, we're no longer selling calibrated ECM8000 mics. We will continue to offer Dayton EMM-6/UMM-6 mics and Galaxy CM-140 sound meters (and very soon, UMIK-1 mics).

To make a long story short: ECM8000 quality has declined to a point where they are utter and I'm sick of messing with them.
So what's the verdict on UMM-6 vs EMM-6 for REW if price of USB soundcard / mic preamp is not an issue? I remember the graph you posted with a much higher noise floor for the USB mics, yet they seem to be very popular. Is it just the overall ease of setup / price issue, flexibility of using HDMI for test tones or something else?
post #267 of 368 Old 05-07-13, 01:13 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

If money isn't an issue, I'd recommend going with a soundcard + EMM-6 over the UMM-6.
post #268 of 368 Old 05-07-13, 01:24 PM

Quote:
If money isn't an issue, I'd recommend going with a soundcard + EMM-6 over the UMM-6.
That was my thinking as well when I bought a US122MKII and an EMM-6 calibrated by you. Thanks for the confirmation.
post #269 of 368 Old 05-09-13, 07:12 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

RE posts 261 through 265: Now that is great customer service...

========

Quote:
Effectively immediately, we're no longer selling calibrated ECM8000 mics. We will continue to offer Dayton EMM-6/UMM-6 mics and Galaxy CM-140 sound meters (and very soon, UMIK-1 mics).

To make a long story short: ECM8000 quality has declined to a point where they are utter and I'm sick of messing with them.
Sorry to hear that. In a discussion with Behringer reps at a Guitar Center demo awhile back, they talked about their manufacturing model as it relates to quality. They said that Behringer has their own manufacturing plant in China so they get the benefit of low labor and materials costs, but can control the quality themselves. Sounds good in theory anyway.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of quality issues have you run across, and over what time period have you seen the decline?
post #270 of 368 Old 05-09-13, 10:05 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Out of curiosity, what kinds of quality issues have you run across, and over what time period have you seen the decline?
There are two types of quality issues that have started to become a real problem:

1. Outright failure of the microphone characterized by a 60-Hz (and its harmonics) hum that make low-frequency measurements impossible (sometimes this shows up as a buzz or fluctuating low-frequency response). On a good week, about 10% of mics have this, on a bad week, maybe 30%.

2. Severely diminished low-frequency response, characterized by extreme low-frequency rolloffs of around -30 to -35 dB at 5 Hz (compared to a more typical value of -10 to -15 dB) and around -5 to -8 dB at 20 Hz (compared to a more typical value of 0 to -3 dB). These mics are technically good-to-go, but the freq response is so messed up I can't in good conscience charge full price for these, so I let them go at a discount. These were rare, but now I'm seeing about 25% of mics hit this mark.

In the last three weeks of measuring ECM8000, about 60% of mics fell into one of these two categories. After the mics I looked at on Monday, I decided I was done. I'll reevaluate in a few months, but for now, I'm moving on.

To be fair, the quality of Dayton EMM-6 mics has also fallen, but not nearly as much as the Behringer mic. The quality of the EMM-6 also started at a higher point.