Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA - Page 29 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #281 of 368 Old 05-22-13, 01:30 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Re: Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
True the Omnimic, have you had any dealings with them?
I've measured one, the freq response was far worse than the UMM-6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 368 Old 05-22-13, 05:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
If money isn't an issue, I'd recommend going with a soundcard + EMM-6 over the UMM-6.
You have compared the EMM-6 + soundcard with the UMM-6.

Would this also apply to the other USB mics (UMIK and Omnimic)?
post #283 of 368 Old 05-22-13, 05:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Kisakuku wrote: View Post
See couple pages back:
Thank you

post #284 of 368 Old 05-22-13, 05:36 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
You have compared the EMM-6 + soundcard with the UMM-6.

Would this also apply to the other USB mics (UMIK and Omnimic)?
Yes.
post #285 of 368 Old 05-22-13, 06:18 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
I would give the nod to the UMIK-1 over the UMM-6 for two reasons: 1) slightly better low frequency response, and 2) not as fragile (I'm seeing a lot of complaints about UMM-6's either arriving with the barrel broken off, or the barrel breaking off at the slightest bit of stress, such as being dropped on a carpet)...
I own an EMM-6 and its shell is quite stout very similar to the UMIK in build... in fact, I'd be willing to bet they are both made in the same manufacturing facility. I also have owned the UMIK (Rev B) but returned it for refund due to the ever changing calibration issues they were having at the time. I now own a UMM-6 and actually am quite pleased with it. I can see where, if dropped, the UMM-6 would be more fragile than a UMIK, or even the EMM-6 for that matter, simply because the narrow end that holds the capsule is much smaller in diameter... all else being equal, a thinner stem is just going to be weaker. As for the better low frequency response... this is not so much an issue as the calibration file that comes with it and if purchasing a UMIK direct from MiniDSP I personally wouldn't trust it's calibration file but from CSL (Anechoic) that's a different story. There is a third thing that wasn't mentioned above so I guess I will: The thing I've also noticed is the inherent noise. My EMM-6 has a very low noise floor that's also free from spurious 1kHz spikes. By contrast, the UMIK I had, had an issue with a high noise floor but also it had a curious 1kHz spike (that persisted at all freqs above it in 1kHz intervals). It wasn't really a problem for me because I take all my measurements near reference but for other UMIK owners it apparently was a significant issue... eventually MiniDSP did respond with a mod (Rev C) to the board to remove the spikes and overall it apparently has accordingly also lowered the noise floor. Well, my UMM-6 has this same high noise floor and 1kHz spike pattern that the UMIK exhibited before the revised board. Again, it poses no problems for me but I wonder if it might not be an issue for others?

Anechoic... your reasons for picking the UMIK over the UMM-6 I don't think is any big deal at all, especially since you are providing purchasers such an accurate calibration file for both, however I think the noise issue (with those 1kHz spikes) may be a far more significant factor as to why the UMIK would be a better choice over the UMM-6. If I had known you were going to be also selling the UMIK at the time I placed my order for the UMM-6, I would have probably chosen the UMIK. Since the UMIK I had was a Rev B and exhibited those noise issues, could you verify to others here that indeed those noise issues have been dealt with and solved on the newer UMIKs (Rev C)?

Bottom line... I'm very pleased with my UMM-6 with CSL calibration file but I believe others should be aware of the noise issue with it when trying to decide which to purchase between the UMIK and the UMM-6.

Last edited by monomer; 05-23-13 at 01:13 PM.
post #286 of 368 Old 05-22-13, 06:23 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
My EMM-6 has a very low noise floor that's also free from spurious 1kHz spikes. By contrast, the UMIK I had, had an issue with a high noise floor but also it had a curious 1kHz spike (that persisted at all freqs above it in 1kHz intervals). [..] Well, my UMM-6 has this same high noise floor and 1kHz spike pattern that the UMIK exhibited before the revised the board.
Yep.

Quote:
Since the UMIK I had was a Rev B and exhibited those noise issues, could you verify to others here that indeed those noise issues have been dealt with and solved on the newer UMIKs (Rev C)?
I was told that this was addressed, but I haven't had a chance to verify that yet. It's on the list.
post #287 of 368 Old 06-05-13, 10:01 AM

My System

I was able to get an order in on the umik. I notice that the site has been updated with a later shipping date. Is this date for a later batch? Will the earlier orders start shipping out at this date or 6/3?
post #288 of 368 Old 06-05-13, 10:04 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
danny01 wrote: View Post
I was able to get an order in on the umik. I notice that the site has been updated with a later shipping date. Is this date for a later batch? Will the earlier orders start shipping out at this date or 6/3?
Assuming your initials are "DH" your order will ship tomorrow. Also you should PM or email me to claim your HTS discount.
post #289 of 368 Old 06-09-13, 07:41 PM

My System

Sent email
post #290 of 368 Old 06-14-13, 03:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Anechoic
Can you tell me when you will restock the UMIK-1? I tried to order it and you website indicated it is sold out.
Cheers

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/Marantz M7025
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D