Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA - Page 35 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #341 of 366 Old 01-10-14, 06:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA

Quote:
adickerson0 wrote: View Post
There is a lot of information out there, these seem quite popular, so sorry if you answered this else ware. I was wondering how difficult is is to switch between the 90, 45, and 0 modes? Do I need to load a calibration file for each one and switch between them depending on use?
Generally people use the 0 calibration file with the mic tip pointed towards (horizontal) the sound source, speaker etc. I tilt the mic very very slightly upwards.

Yes you load the appropriate calibration file and change the direction of the mic accordingly, e.g 45 degrees mic orientation with the 45 degrees calibration file loaded.

The difference between them is alot more in the high frequencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 366 Old 01-11-14, 11:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
The UMIK-1 noise floor is on par with the ECM8000 noise floor (and slightly higher than the EMM-6 noise floor). Bad news is that I'm out of stock of UMIK-1 and since MiniDSP is also out of stock, I may not get any more until sometime in January.
Hi Herb,

I was just wondering if there is a good mic that you recommend with a lower noise floor (i.e. < 30dBA/dBC). I already have the UMM-6 (too high of a noise floor) and the ECM800 (both mics from you, thanks!!!). My main room is heavily treated and I used one of my large condenser mics to check the noise floor (dBA is 19dB and dBA is 28 dBC). My SPL meters also read as such, but they are really only calibrated accurately down to 30dbA.

I'm using this SBP Meter:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-947

And this calibrator to confirm before:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-7260

Thanks Herb!

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!
post #343 of 366 Old 01-16-14, 04:40 AM
Nick

Hi Herb,

If I buy an Audix TM1 online and have it sent to you directly, could you calibrate it for me, please...?

Premium package of course.
post #344 of 366 Old 01-16-14, 11:34 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Yes, we can do that, but it will be pricey (price of mic + $75 for the call + $20 shipping to UK). If you're still interested, send me a PM and we can talk specifics.
post #345 of 366 Old 02-11-14, 11:46 PM

Just went to purchase a UMIK-1 mic and saw they are still out of stock.

And idea when you will be getting more?

Thanks and can't wait to get mine!
post #346 of 366 Old 03-15-14, 06:39 PM

I received my MiniDSP UMIK-1 a couple of days ago (great turn around time!) and cranked out some spectra of my AV room using it and a NuForce 192s USB to S/PDIF. I ran identical cases except for which calibration curve was used, the one from CSL (narrow band 90 degrees) and the only one from MiniDSP which I understand is the equivalent orientation (and obtained off their site for my serial number). While the trends in the two spectra were the same at low frequency, I noticed there was 4 or 5 dB differences, which is also seen from the two calibration curve files (only comparing them for fairly low frequency).

Cross-Spectrum Microphone Calibration Service - USA-minidsp-cvs-cpl-cals.jpg

I was a bit surprised since I was expecting closer agreement but happy to have a wider frequency range and three angles done at CSL. Am I missing something, or is there some way to interpret the Sens Factor included in the MiniDSP file to explain the differences. I checked that REW does not do anything with Sens Factor as only lines that start with a number are read into the program. Anyone have any ideas?
post #347 of 366 Old 04-01-14, 11:10 AM
Nick

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
Yes, we can do that, but it will be pricey (price of mic + $75 for the call + $20 shipping to UK). If you're still interested, send me a PM and we can talk specifics.
Hi Herb,

I sent you an email via your website about a fortnight ago but still haven't heard back from you.

I am good to go on this so please get in touch.

Thanks,
Nick
post #348 of 366 Old 04-22-14, 08:19 AM
Nec
Shackster

Hi all, just receive my umik-1 from cross-spectrum today need info regarding first time using mic with rew.For the first time do I need to go minidsp to download the calibration file? Or it plug and play. Thx in advance.
post #349 of 366 Old 04-22-14, 09:26 AM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

PnP except for level (SPL) considerations. The CS calibrations don't contain the sensitivity info REW needs. There is a fix for this and it does come from the MiniDSP Cal file. The MiniDSP cal file contains, as the first line, sensitivity info in a form REW can use. Simply download the MiniDSP file and copy and paste the first line from it into the first line of the CS files. You'll be good to go.

7.1 System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server
post #350 of 366 Old 04-24-14, 04:25 AM
Nec
Shackster

Hi GCG, I already download the minidsp files, so I just copy the first line of the file sens factor and serno. Where should I paste to? Sorry for the trouble cos still new with rew and umik mic.Thx a lot.