Radio Shack SPL Meter Correction Values (All new *.cal files are published!)... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 62 Old 05-16-06, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Radio Shack SPL Meter Correction Values (All new *.cal files are published!)...

As promised I am calibrating 2 ananlog and 2 digital RS SPL meters. This by no means a professional calibration but it will be better than nothing at all and give us some clues as to what we need do with correction values.

These will be calibrated against my professionally calibrated Behringer ECM8000 mic and a Behringer Euroback UB802 phantom power mic amp.

Pre-impulse response window set to Tukey 0.25
Pre-ref Window Width set to 125ms

Here's the response we will use to calibrate the RS mics against (this is about as flat as I could get it):

ECM with ecm.cal file is on Tab 1(red):

Old Analog Meter (with newrs.cal loaded) on Tab 2 (green):

New Analog Meter 1 (with NO .cal file) on Tab 3 (blue):

New Analog Meter 2 (with NO .cal file) on Tab 4 (magenta):

Digitals coming up soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 05-16-06, 07:51 PM
MisterG12
Inactive

Re: Calibrating 4 RS SPL Meter mics... (we'll be giving 3 away!)

Quote:
(we'll be giving 3 away!)
Yesssssss!
post #3 of 62 Old 05-16-06, 08:02 PM
Shackster
Dent

Sorry for asking this but what exactly are these graphs showing? I'm not sure what I am looking at. Is it of a sweep measurement with various filters engaged? With the second graph showing the ECM mic and the old analog RS meter with the newrs.cal loaded are these lines supposed to be matched exactly although in the region of 18 Hz and lower they obviously are not so what is that saying?

post #4 of 62 Old 05-16-06, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Here's the digital models...

New Digital Meter 1 (with NO .cal file) on Tab 5 (light blue):

Viewed with ECM:

Viewed with ECM and Analog Meter 2:

New Digital Meter 2 (with NO .cal file) on Tab 6 (magenta again):

Viewed with ECM:

Viewed with ECM and Digital Meter 1:

And FWIW... here are all of the responses together:

Now we need to get some correction values... although these look pretty good compared to the older ones.

These RS Meters will NOT be for sale. Instead.... Home Theater Shack is going to give 2 of the analogs and 1 of the digital meters away.

Not only will you get the meters and have the proper .cal file for them... but you will also get a brand spanking new BFD DSP1124P.

Yup ... you are reading it right! We will giving away 3 new 1124P's with an RS SPL Meter included. Details and an official announcement to follow soon!

And this is just a snippet of what we will be giving away. Stay tuned for the sho-nuff giveaway that we'll be announcing soon! You DO NOT want to miss out on it!

Of course there will be qualifications and one is minimum post count!
post #5 of 62 Old 05-16-06, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Dent wrote:
Sorry for asking this but what exactly are these graphs showing? I'm not sure what I am looking at. Is it of a sweep measurement with various filters engaged? With the second graph showing the ECM mic and the old analog RS meter with the newrs.cal loaded are these lines supposed to be matched exactly although in the region of 18 Hz and lower they obviously are not so what is that saying?
What you are looking at are 4 different RS Meters that have no correction files loaded compared against an ECM8000 that has been professionally calibrated.

The old analog meter has the newrs.cal file correction values loaded in it just for comparision. It's pretty close... close enough.

We will build a new .cal file for the new meters. More than likely we'll let it be the actual newrs.cal going forward since most people have the new meters instead of the old one.
post #6 of 62 Old 05-16-06, 08:57 PM
Shackster
Pierre

I'm having a hard time importing ndm1.mdat to apply the correction values to it. Is there a procedure I'm missing?
post #7 of 62 Old 05-16-06, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Just save it to your harddrive and open it up in REW version 3.29... it should work.

It appears the only significant difference between the new analogs and the new digitals is around 32hz.

I probably should have shown one with the old analog meter and no .cal file so show the difference between the two.
post #8 of 62 Old 05-16-06, 09:05 PM
Shackster
Pierre

Yeah, I tried File/Load Measured Data Set and File/Import Measured Data and neither worked. One says it's not 3.29 compatible and the other gives a parsing error.
post #9 of 62 Old 05-16-06, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Hmmm... it's definitely 3.29 Build 321. Try one of the others and let's see if it does the same.

But if you are trying to determine correction values then you probably need to use Excel and then create a .cal file in Notepad.
post #10 of 62 Old 05-16-06, 09:15 PM
Shackster
Pierre

That's what I have too. I just wanted to see what the graph looked like with one of your Digital SPL and the .CAL applied. Just to compare with that ECM .

I tried with ndm2.mdat and got the same result. I'll try with IE instead of FireFox maybe...otherwise, no big deal.