Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Most affordable Mic and preamp combo?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  bigbwb 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Im thinking of upgrading from my Radio shack SPL meter to something where I can measure higher frequencies to see how my new speakers measure in room. Currently I use the RS meter and REW for calibrating my Sub with my Behringer FD and I know its not accurate much beyond 5Khz.

I am looking for the simplest mic and preamp combo at an affordable price that of course works well with REW.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Brandon

#6 ·
Thanks! It looks like I have everything I need as long as the 502 comes with its owner power cord.

One other thought, I see the parts Express EMM-6 mic is a bit cheaper and has its calibration txt file with it. Would this be a better option than the ECM8000?

#7 ·

Since it appears that you already have a sound card that you’ve been using, the Behringer XENYX 502 John mentioned fits the bill for the cheapest mic prew/ phantom power. The cheapest mic would probably also be the Behringer ECM8000, using our generic calibration file. However, if you want absolute accuracy, a mic/generic file combo won’t cut it (I expect the file with the Parts Express' EMM-6 is also a generic). You’ll want a custom-calibrated mic. The cheapest thing there would be a Dayton EMM-6 from Cross Spectrum with a “Basic” calibration.

Regards,
Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.