Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Focusrite iTrack Solo, emc8000, and macbook pro ( intel)

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  tonyptony 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am searching for a low cost (higher end) solution to use with my laptop and REW. I was hoping to do a single unit with the preamp/USB in one to use with a condenser mic. Thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
The emc8000 is the right microphone for the job. I'm partial to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as opposed to the iTrack Solo because it features balanced outputs but both are great interfaces. I very much like the sound of the Scarlett, you can always buy 1/4 to RCA cables to connect it to consumer gear and you never know when dual mic inputs will come in handy.

#19 ·
Dub King, I've been looking at this or the Presound Firestudio Mobile to replace my dead (I think) E-mu 0404 USB (I do also have FW on my laptop). For use primarily as a mic preamp, would have any experience with the Presound and how it might compare to the Focusrite? Stuff like frequency response, gain range, frequency linearity with gain (that's one thing which was not good with the E-mu). Thanks.

#4 ·
Phantom power would only be for a microphone anyway. What exactly are you trying to achieve? FWIW this Alesis mixing board sounds really excellent and has enough I/O capability to do anything you need: http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usb20

#5 ·

Feature for feature, the Scarlett 2i2 looks ( to me ) to be the better buy ( click the first pic & then look for the "hidden" real price of the unit / from BHP).

I own one of these 2i2s . I certainly like the build quality ( so far, had it since @ Jan 2012 ) .

:sn:

#8 ·
That's what the '48v' button on the 2i2 is for. The whole point of Focusrite gear is the quality of their mic pre-amp.

From the focusrite website:

Front panel
2 line/mic/instrument combination inputs – Neutrik XLR/¼” TRS Jack Combo
2 Line/Instrument switches
2 Gain knobs
2 Gain halo signal indicators
48V Phantom power switch
Direct monitor switch
Large monitor level dial
USB Connection LED indicator
Headphone output - ¼” TRS Jack
Headphone level knob

I calibrated my system before I got a Scarlett, but I really like it's sound quality - I actually bought it for the output not the input.

#10 ·
Anyone have comments or experience calibrating this device for REW? Loop back with 1/4 to RCA I would assume....?
Yes,

NOTE : The Scarlett 2i2 does not have any RCA connectors on it .

- Do your calibration with a cable going from the[ 1/4" (TRS) cable to male XLR ( plugged into the #2 mic input )] with the phantom power ( 48V ) turned off .
- Mic input pre-amps are typically not as linear as the line input portion of the same pre-amp .

:sn:

#11 ·
Wow. I don't think I'm thinking straight today. Somehow I was thinking about the cables I was going to use for measuring my audio And combined that with the loopback cable. So, to clarify, I will be using quarter-inch TRS connector in the right output to the number 2 mic input male XLR...?

And REW will not have an issue recognizing this device at all?

#12 ·
Your cable can also be 1/4" to 1/4", the Scarlett's input accepts both. The ASIO drivers are stable with superbly low latency, as are the standard Windows drivers. I have not heard of any issues with the Scarlett on a Mac. I've successfully used the Scarlett with REW, don;t see why there would be any problem. Just be sure to disable your regular soundcard's inputs and make the Scarlett the default audio input device.

Wow. I don't think I'm thinking straight today. Somehow I was thinking about the cables I was going to use for measuring my audio And combined that with the loopback cable. So, to clarify, I will be using quarter-inch TRS connector in the right output to the number 2 mic input male XLR...?

And REW will not have an issue recognizing this device at all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.