MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 11 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #101 of 887 Old 01-01-13, 06:41 PM
Shackster
Rick

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Thank you sdurani for that link. Do you or any others on this thread feel that the REW calibration program would be better than my Audysey program which came with my Onkyo TX-SR 876 AVR? I know absolutely nothing about the REW program but the Audysey program seems to work pretty good. Your replies and sharing of your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 887 Old 01-01-13, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

REW is not a calibration program... it will analyze your system in several different respects, but does no equalization itself. It can help you with suggestions on what to equalize. It will let you see what Audyssey is doing to your system. I think most of us here use it more to help determine what we need to equalize our subwoofer response, but we also like to see the overall response of our systems.

Happy New Year!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #103 of 887 Old 01-01-13, 07:06 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
golffnutt wrote: View Post
Thank you sdurani for that link. Do you or any others on this thread feel that the REW calibration program would be better than my Audysey program which came with my Onkyo TX-SR 876 AVR? I know absolutely nothing about the REW program but the Audysey program seems to work pretty good. Your replies and sharing of your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year to everyone.

REW actually doesn't do what the Audysey, YPAO etc does.
REW measures what these have done to the sound/room, in your system Audysey, with more accuracy.

REW will help to fine tune the effects your system with bass traps, EQ etc.

Hope this helps a bit

post #104 of 887 Old 01-01-13, 07:29 PM
Shackster

I'm curious to know exactly what John has done to help install/use this mic as a PNP option in the new REW.

The reason I ask is that although this mic is a good option at a good price, it comes directly from Hong Kong and isn't truly individually calibrated like for instance a UMM-6 USB Mic would be that you can purchase from Herb at CSL, who is also a great forum contributor, and a US Based business, for about the same price.

I don't have either mic yet and I've been helping some folks get on the REW bandwagon over at AVS and there have a been a lot of questions and concerns from folks worrying about setting REW up for the first time.

While I know it's simple and have been working with it for a few years now, I do know it would be much better/easier if John could/would offer the same support for the UMM-6 Mic as he does for this MiniDSP mic as I feel more comfortable in recommending the UMM-6 to folks for the reasons mentioned above, mostly due to the personalized calibration though.

I'm not a huge poster over here and if there is a thread this would be more appropriately posted in, I'll be more than happy to move it or ask again.

Can someone explain the difference in setting up the UMM-6 mic vs setting up the MiniDSP mic in REW and can someone who is in contact with John ask if he can add support for the UMM-6 Mic just as he has the MiniDSP or direct me to the proper forum in which to ask this question?

Thanks so much,

--J
post #105 of 887 Old 01-01-13, 07:42 PM
Shackster
Rick

Quote:
bulldog wrote: View Post
I'm curious to know exactly what John has done to help install/use this mic as a PNP option in the new REW.

The reason I ask is that although this mic is a good option at a good price, it comes directly from Hong Kong and isn't truly individually calibrated like for instance a UMM-6 USB Mic would be that you can purchase from Herb at CSL, who is also a great forum contributor, and a US Based business, for about the same price.

I don't have either mic yet and I've been helping some folks get on the REW bandwagon over at AVS and there have a been a lot of questions and concerns from folks worrying about setting REW up for the first time.

While I know it's simple and have been working with it for a few years now, I do know it would be much better/easier if John could/would offer the same support for the UMM-6 Mic as he does for this MiniDSP mic as I feel more comfortable in recommending the UMM-6 to folks for the reasons mentioned above, mostly due to the personalized calibration though.

I'm not a huge poster over here and if there is a thread this would be more appropriately posted in, I'll be more than happy to move it or ask again.

Can someone explain the difference in setting up the UMM-6 mic vs setting up the MiniDSP mic in REW and can someone who is in contact with John ask if he can add support for the UMM-6 Mic just as he has the MiniDSP or direct me to the proper forum in which to ask this question?

Thanks so much,

--J

Thanks everyone for your replies and answers, they really helped. Is the mic that I need to purchase the only thing I need to buy in order to get started with REW? Thank you.
post #106 of 887 Old 01-01-13, 08:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
worrying about setting REW up for the first time.

These forums are very helpful with setup etc.

Quote:

Quote:
Herb at CSL, who is also a great forum contributor, and a US Based business, for about the same price.

Agree

I thought the UMIK was individually calibrated?

Quote:

Maybe post in the UMM-6 thread.

Quote:

What i understand is that there wouldn't be any difference. Only thing that comes to mind is the SPL, which comes with the UMIK calibration file, not sure if it comes with the UMM-6.

Last edited by Phillips; 01-01-13 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Add text
post #107 of 887 Old 01-01-13, 08:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:

Thanks so much,

--J
Quote:
golffnutt wrote: View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies and answers, they really helped. Is the mic that I need to purchase the only thing I need to buy in order to get started with REW? Thank you.

The only extra you will need is a RCA from your laptop to the receiver.

I use the Omnimic and this the only extra i needed.
post #108 of 887 Old 01-02-13, 07:29 AM
Shackster
Rick

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
The only extra you will need is a RCA from your laptop to the receiver.

I use the Omnimic and this the only extra i needed.
Thank you Phillips for your reply.
post #109 of 887 Old 01-03-13, 04:57 PM
Shackster

So, as I understand it, when taking measurements, the mic should be pointed towards the speaker & not the ceiling, while using the supplied calibration file.
post #110 of 887 Old 01-04-13, 04:51 PM
Shackster

I just got my UMIK today. I can't find a calibration file anywhere or instructions on where to download it. Can anyone point me in the right place?