MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #111 of 887 Old 01-04-13, 05:02 PM
Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

I found it in my email. n/m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 887 Old 01-04-13, 10:29 PM
Shackster

Quote:
calibro2 wrote: View Post
I just got my UMIK today. I can't find a calibration file anywhere or instructions on where to download it. Can anyone point me in the right place?
My calibration file came in an email from MiniDSP after I bought it.
post #113 of 887 Old 01-05-13, 12:55 PM
Shackster

Anyone have any success porting their calibration file to spectrum lab?

post #114 of 887 Old 01-06-13, 08:39 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

Sorry if this has been covered but can this mic be used as an SPL meter to set speaker/subwoofer levels using AVR test tones?
post #115 of 887 Old 01-06-13, 01:36 PM
REW Author

John

Yes, with REW's SPL meter - the cal file includes the sensitivity info REW needs to translate the readings into SPL figures.
post #116 of 887 Old 01-06-13, 09:28 PM
Shackster

I wonder if there is a backlog in orders. I ordered on Jan 2 and website has not updated from "confirmed". I have not received an email confirming shipment and the calibration file. Anyone else experiencing a delay?

Would this microphone be suitable to use with a DRC program such as Audiolense? I have checked with Dirac and thye have run some tests with one which they have had in their office but no conclusion yet as they have had inconsistent results on 2 computers they have tried it. One worked and the other they had an issue with. They are preparing for CES but will get back to me after the show.
post #117 of 887 Old 01-07-13, 08:57 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

I've always wanted to get into REW but never could. I had an old RS meter but I could never get it to work properly. This was several years back.

So this new mic ... basically you just plug it into your notebook/PC, and two cables to your receiver, and that's that? I really think I should move on this as it gives me another opportunity to be able to measure using REW which I've always wanted to do but without requiring additional gear .. like an ext soundcard and phantom power.
post #118 of 887 Old 01-07-13, 07:22 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am having some issues with my UMIK-1 and hope some of you might have some helpful advice.

1st Problem:
On both Mac (REW v5) and Windows (latest REW beta), the SPL readings appear to be way off. In my quiet apartment, the UMIK reports about 65-75 dBSPL, C-weighted. I have a standalone SPL meter which reads about 10-15 dB below this. I would tend to trust the calibration on the UMIK over my cheap SPL meter, but I think the UMIK reading is way to high for just the ambient noise level. These measurements were taken with the UMIK cal file loaded in to REW in both Mac and Windows.

2nd Problem:
When using the UMIK and REW on Mac, REW reports that the UMIK is clipping when taking measurements. This happens even when using my Macbook speakers for output, so I'm sure the sound pressure is not actually exceeding the range of the UMIK. I tried adjusting the UMIK level in the Mac OS MIDI Setup, but it did not appear to have any effect on the results. I am using a 128k sample length for these measurements.

Has anybody seen these issues? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
post #119 of 887 Old 01-07-13, 07:26 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I am having an issue with my UMIK-1 as well, the tracking # says it is pending a customs inspection since 1-3-2012
post #120 of 887 Old 01-07-13, 08:57 PM
Shackster

We are sorry to let you know your order is delayed because the
product (UMik-1) is currently out of stock.

We will ship out your order as soon as we receive the next batch of UMik-1.

We apologize for the delay.

miniDSP
Unquote