MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #151 of 887 Old 01-26-13, 07:38 AM
REW Author

John

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Does look very odd, probably need to contact MiniDSP. Is it the same if you choose the left channel in REW rather than the right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 887 Old 01-26-13, 07:52 AM
Shackster

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
Does look very odd, probably need to contact MiniDSP. Is it the same if you choose the left channel in REW rather than the right?
Yes, the results are basically identical for both channels. I've contacted MiniDSP, thanks for your help!
post #153 of 887 Old 01-29-13, 03:53 PM
Shackster

Does anyone know if this MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone is useful for other purposes than for input to the REW software? Maybe it could be used as a general purpose mic on a PC, but is there a way to use it for input to another device (eg, digital camera) with more conventional mic jack?

post #154 of 887 Old 01-30-13, 05:23 AM
Shackster

I wouldn't have thought it would be much use on a digital camera. In order to use the mic the device it is being attached to needs to have a USB Host which none that i know of do. However some tablets and phones support USB On-The-Go which will act as a host and if the USB port can provide enough power then the mic should work in theory. Maybe an android vs of REW which we can plug the UMIK-1 to have the ultimate portable measuring device!

BtW has anyone had any order shipment confirmations? ordered mine just over a week ago, stock was due in yesterday but I have no idea what the backlog numbers are, I fear it could end up taking a while..I only hope that the latest shipment was enough to fulfill all back orders and supply new ones..
post #155 of 887 Old 01-30-13, 08:42 AM
Shackster
Steve

My Umik mic has suddenly stopped working. The blue light glows, but it isn't recognised by my computer (either MB Air or Mini, running OSX and Win 7 via Bootcamp).

I've tried it with multiple cables, with REW and Fuzzmeasure, and in the respective sound control panels.

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by sfdoddsy; 01-31-13 at 05:22 AM.
post #156 of 887 Old 01-30-13, 11:01 AM
Shackster

Hmm doesn't sound great. I was going to suggest a different cable but seeing as you have tried that i'm not sure. Obviously it is receiving power but it is not being recognized by the computer. I don't know about macs but for the PC does it show up in the device manager at all? If not then the only thing I can suggest is contact miniDsp as it would appear to have developed a fault.
post #157 of 887 Old 01-30-13, 02:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
sfdoddsy wrote: View Post
My Umik mic has suddenly stopped working. The blue light glows, but it isn't recognised by my computer (either MB Air or Mini).

I've tried it with multiple cables, with REW and Fuzzmeasure, and on a Mac and a PC.

Any thoughts?

Just a thought and questions might be asked by Minidsp.

1.Go into Control Panel > (this is all OS dependant) Sound > Recording > and look for the mic been recognized and might say Working or Unavailable.
2.Does it show up in REW Preferences.
post #158 of 887 Old 01-30-13, 04:40 PM
Shackster
Steve

Nope, it isn't recognised by OSX or Windows.

To their credit, the fine folk at MiniDSP have offered to send a replacement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by sfdoddsy; 01-31-13 at 05:20 AM.
post #159 of 887 Old 01-30-13, 08:31 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

It certainly has the sound of a failed microphone.
post #160 of 887 Old 01-31-13, 11:31 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Before I order the UMIK-1 want to confirm cable I need to run from laptop to my Onkyo 5508 Preamp. The preamp is located approx 25 ft from home theater room. I can locate laptop in HT next to Mic so 2m usb cable length not an issue. However the cable from laptop has to be 25 ft long. If HDMI cable are there handshake issues to be concern about given the length or should I just use a rca cable from mic jack to preamp?

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/Marantz M7025
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D