MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 19 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #181 of 887 Old 02-08-13, 08:48 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Bag pardon, you clearly know what you are doing, sometimes you see someone's comment and you're not sure. Just being thorough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 887 Old 02-08-13, 10:51 PM
Shackster

My System

Well, I ordered a UMIK-1 yesterday and it shipped today, at least today my time which is Eastern time in the US, or tomorrow morning if you're on Hong Kong time. Reading back to the earlier posts in this thread there was some concern about prompt email replies from miniDSP, it's easy for those of us in the US to forget how far out of sync we are with Asia time wise, Hong Kong is 13 hours ahead of me in the Eastern time zone. Several years back when I was working for a global corporation I helped transfer products to the US from Asia and when I would send Emails I would often not hear a reply until the next day due to the time difference, you had to plan ahead and time your messages to make sure you got timely responses. From what I have seen from other responses to the forum and my order so far they seem to be a very customer oriented company and my order shipped out promptly, so I'm optimistic so far.

I also ordered a Beringer UCA202 primarily so that I can get both digital and analog line outs from the older laptop I plan to use, I have no confidence that the headphone out from the on-board sound will give me a flat response, plus it will give me another way to interface the laptop to my 2 channel music system.

So, I'm looking forward to getting things hooked up and start doing some measuring once I receive everything, I'll plan to post my results and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for the forum coming in the near future.
post #183 of 887 Old 02-08-13, 11:00 PM
Shackster
Alex

The concerns weren't over a lack of response over the course of a couple hours, or even 24 hours. It wasn't even necessarily over response times per se. It was a lack of decisiveness when I approached over an issue I had with a broken case and the possibility of a damaged mic. In the end they made good and I was very happy with the customer service. So happy I just purchased a miniDSP 2X4 in a box. Mic works great, is easy to use and I plan to use it with the miniDSP for subwoofer equalization and integration with REW. I think it will be interesting to compare what I can do with the miniDSP to what the antimode 2.0 dual core does. DSPeaker, is another awesome company.

Quote:
larft wrote: View Post
Well, I ordered a UMIK-1 yesterday and it shipped today, at least today my time which is Eastern time in the US, or tomorrow morning if you're on Hong Kong time. Reading back to the earlier posts in this thread there was some concern about prompt email replies from miniDSP, it's easy for those of us in the US to forget how far out of sync we are with Asia time wise, Hong Kong is 13 hours ahead of me in the Eastern time zone. Several years back when I was working for a global corporation I helped transfer products to the US from Asia and when I would send Emails I would often not hear a reply until the next day due to the time difference, you had to plan ahead and time your messages to make sure you got timely responses. From what I have seen from other responses to the forum and my order so far they seem to be a very customer oriented company and my order shipped out promptly, so I'm optimistic so far.

I also ordered a Beringer UCA202 primarily so that I can get both digital and analog line outs from the older laptop I plan to use, I have no confidence that the headphone out from the on-board sound will give me a flat response, plus it will give me another way to interface the laptop to my 2 channel music system.

So, I'm looking forward to getting things hooked up and start doing some measuring once I receive everything, I'll plan to post my results and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for the forum coming in the near future.

Philharmonic 3, Custom Center (Jordan Watts Module), Source Technology RC4/8.3, EMP E41B, Jeff Bagby Mandolin, CSS SDX10 Custom Sub (Baby Boomer), Custom LMS Ultra Dual Opposed, Custom 18" Pierce Audio Sub

post #184 of 887 Old 02-10-13, 12:11 AM
Shackster

Hi Forum members,

I am in the process of understanding REW and EQ techniques, for this i am doing a lot of reading on the forum, reading various articles and guides.
Its helping me a lot, in the mean while, i wanted to start collecting all the right tools to start my new journey into room eq basics and advancing ahead with proper knowledge and guidence.
I was recommended to get a UMIK-1 mic to begin with with the room measurements. What additional items do i need along with umik-1 mic.. ie. cables, audio input pins.. etc. Although i know that umik-1 is usb based, but additionally would i require anything else?
I will be connecting this to my HTPC, the htpc has a pretty decent card its a Asus HD7850.
The subwoofer is a Tuba HT (THT), the front mains are Definitive Technology Mythos ST speakers, with other mythos line up for making a 7.1 setup.

Please guide what additional items would i need along with the UMIK-1 mic.
post #185 of 887 Old 02-10-13, 10:07 AM
REW Author

John

If you are generating the REW test signals from your HTPC then you won't need anything else (barring perhaps a USB extension cable if the one that comes with the UMIK isn't long enough).
post #186 of 887 Old 02-10-13, 02:09 PM
Shackster
truwarrior22

Hey everyone,

I use a Radio Shack analog meter right now with REW. Seems to work ok, however, I'm about to purchase a minidsp. Will this UMIK-1 be a good investment as well or should I stick with the RS meter? My laptop doesn't have HDMI out, just display port. I normally use the soundcard line out to the AVR to generate the test tones.

Thanks!
post #187 of 887 Old 02-10-13, 03:40 PM
REW Author

John

If your interest is addressing the low frequencies the RS meter is fine. UMIK-1 is a good option if you need full range measurements.
post #188 of 887 Old 02-10-13, 04:08 PM
Shackster
truwarrior22

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
If your interest is addressing the low frequencies the RS meter is fine. UMIK-1 is a good option if you need full range measurements.
Great thanks, just ordered a minidsp. Figured I would get the mic to sence the shipping was the same amount. Didn't really want to spend another $20 if I decided to get it in the future!

Anyways, I'l going to try to use it to turn my woofers in my BP7000SC's into midbass woofers, then send anything below 60-80hz to my HGS-18 subwoofer
post #189 of 887 Old 02-10-13, 04:28 PM
Shackster

etc6849

I just ordered the UMIK-1. Hope it ships soon
post #190 of 887 Old 02-10-13, 05:21 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Anyone notice that the calibration file format on the new batch has changed? The recent batch of UMIK's only has calibration file values down to 20.1Hz and then it just ends... in addition the UMIK's in this batch apparently experience a large step going from 802Hz to 812Hz. Anyone know why that is? Was the calibration procedure changed? and why does that 'step' with these new UMIK's, happen to be between the exact same two adjacent frequencies (always between 812Hz and 802Hz)? Could it be due to different calibration 'test beds' possibly being used and one is messed up? Then there is the question of, if the UMIK is spec'd at +/- 1dB from 15Hz-20kHz then where are the 15-20Hz correction factors in the file? I've asked these questions on the manufacturer's forum and am still awaiting a response. Anyone here have any answers? Hopefully there is just some simple explanation...

To see what I'm talking about go here and put in 7000275 for the Serial Number and "submit" it. That's the calibration file for my UMIK... you can try other numbers above or below that in sequence to further see what I'm referring to about the files containing a large step between 802Hz and 812Hz. Also if you put in a number below 7000188 (those are from the old batch) you'll see how the calibration file format used to look with calibration values going down to 4.6Hz.

Last edited by monomer; 02-23-13 at 02:36 PM.