MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #11 of 887 Old 12-11-12, 01:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Awesome, looks good. Mine is in the mail.

EDIT: It would be awesome to see some measurement comparisons between the umik-1 and the behringer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 887 Old 12-11-12, 01:53 PM
Shackster
Alex

Quote:
Patzig wrote: View Post
Awesome, looks good. Mine is in the mail.

EDIT: It would be awesome to see some measurement comparisons between the umik-1 and the behringer.
I'll try, but recently my REW measurements with the behringer mic have been restricted to when I'm running parallels and there's a nasty delay which can effect the measurements a bit, but worth a shot.

Philharmonic 3, Custom Center (Jordan Watts Module), Source Technology RC4/8.3, EMP E41B, Jeff Bagby Mandolin, CSS SDX10 Custom Sub (Baby Boomer), Custom LMS Ultra Dual Opposed, Custom 18" Pierce Audio Sub
post #13 of 887 Old 12-11-12, 01:58 PM
Senior Shackster

That's cool. Could you tell us the date that you ordered? Just wondering how long mine is gonna take

post #14 of 887 Old 12-11-12, 02:04 PM
Shackster
Alex

Ordered late December 2nd, so let's call it December 3rd. Didn't ship until December 5th-6th, then took 5 days to get to my door, although probably would've taken four since delivery was attempted on a Monday.

Philharmonic 3, Custom Center (Jordan Watts Module), Source Technology RC4/8.3, EMP E41B, Jeff Bagby Mandolin, CSS SDX10 Custom Sub (Baby Boomer), Custom LMS Ultra Dual Opposed, Custom 18" Pierce Audio Sub
post #15 of 887 Old 12-11-12, 02:13 PM
Shackster
Tim

Quote:
fuzz092888 wrote: View Post
So I went to the post office today and picked up my UMIK-1. Apparently when miniDSP ships it to you they require a signature for delivery. Once I got home and started to unpack it, I must say I was sorely disappointed in what I saw. Not with the actual product, but with the care in which this product was packed. As you can see below there was nothing protecting the carrying case except a thin cardboard shell. Because of this my tab that is supposed to keep it shut was snapped off, the case was open a bit when I opened the box, it is cracked in multiple places, and the bottom is scuffed to no end. Definitely a much different experience than when I opened my calibrated Behringer mic.

As to the mic and accessories, I'm extremely happy with them. The mic has a nice weight to it and is fairly similar to the Behringer, albeit a bit smaller. The small stand is a nice touch and the USB cord feels substantial, if a bit short. I plugged the mic into my macbook pro and it was immediately recognized. Fired up REW and opened the MIDI audio controller and I was able to adjust the gain, add the cal file and it worked first time. There were zero issues, no drivers or software, and nothing else to do except calibrate the REW SPL meter with the new mic. Absolutely fantastic.

Fuzz, this sounds really promising for a newbie who owns nothing but Mac's and Linux boxes. What I am not clear on is that I assume you need a connection from your Mac to an amp/receiver to generate the test tones? What cable do you use? I am using an iMac and my understanding is that I don't need an external sound card for this mic..
post #16 of 887 Old 12-11-12, 02:19 PM
Shackster
Alex

Quote:
ack_bak wrote: View Post
Fuzz, this sounds really promising for a newbie who owns nothing but Mac's and Linux boxes. What I am not clear on is that I assume you need a connection from your Mac to an amp/receiver to generate the test tones? What cable do you use? I am using an iMac and my understanding is that I don't need an external sound card for this mic..
As long as the soundcard in your computer isn't total garbage, which the mac ones usually aren't, then all you need is one of these.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

post #17 of 887 Old 12-11-12, 04:41 PM
Shackster
Tim

Quote:
As long as the soundcard in your computer isn't total garbage, which the mac ones usually aren't, then all you need is one of these.
Thank you sir.
post #18 of 887 Old 12-11-12, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Sounds like they need to do a little better on the packing. They should send you another case... please let them know.
post #19 of 887 Old 12-11-12, 06:06 PM
Shackster
Alex

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Sounds like they need to do a little better on the packing. They should send you another case... please let them know.
I used the "contact us" form on their website this morning after I opened everything up, but am still waiting for a response.

I also talked to another guy who just got his today and it was fine. Arrived in perfect condition. Lucky duck.

post #20 of 887 Old 12-11-12, 06:12 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Most laptops I've seen don't have a line out but instead a headpone out. Can that be used to send the REW sweep signal to the receiver/pre-pro or is that output equalized for something like speech intelligibility? The reason I'm asking is because I had read that the line input on a computer is different from a mic input, with the difference being that the latter was equalized for speech (on-line gaming, teleconferencing, etc). Wanted to know if that was the same for line out vs headphone out because I'll be able to connect the UMIK-1 to my laptop via USB for input signal, but only have a headphone jack for output signal. (Trying to retire my M-Audio Mobilepre USB.)

Sanjay