MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 22 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #211 of 887 Old 02-12-13, 08:51 AM
Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Hi at all,
the discussion about the "new" cal-files of the UMIC has been interessted to me. So I decided to compare the cal-files.
What we see in the first pic are the older cal-files from SerNo: 7000001 up to 7000188.
It looks fairly real for about 200 differnt mics. At 1006.5565 (~1kHz) all mics are normalized to 0 dB.

Within the sec. pic (SerNo: 7000190 - 7000340; 7000189 is not available) there is no normalization identifiable! At 20 Hz some measurements have a peak up from -6 dB to about 2 dB. Then the curves alternate around zero with max 0.0125 dB.
At 812.413 Hz some measurements have a significant peak of +- 4 dB max. And then they proceed very similarly. It looks that way all curves are parallel.

I don't trust these files. What do you think about it?

BTW: My UMIC is "Pending customs inspection"
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-cf-umic-188a.png  

MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-cf-umic-340b.png  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 887 Old 02-12-13, 10:27 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

WOW!!! How long did it take to compile that??? Simply amazing and also very telling with just a glance. Something is very wrong with the calibration procedure on this second batch of UMIKs... neither half looks right. Basically every calibration file in the second batch looks to be bogus.

It would be nice if you could also re-post those graphs over on the manufacturer's forum so they too can plainly see what the issue is.

Last edited by monomer; 02-12-13 at 10:41 AM.
post #213 of 887 Old 02-12-13, 11:07 AM
Shackster
truwarrior22

I just ordered one...should I cancel my mic order?

post #214 of 887 Old 02-12-13, 11:21 AM
Shackster

My System

Just received my mic, it's serial #7000425 and the cal file is similar to other recent ones:

MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-7000425-cal-file.jpg

As you can see I'm in the same boat as everyone else. It will be interesting to see what the response is.
post #215 of 887 Old 02-12-13, 11:29 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
truwarrior22 wrote: View Post
I just ordered one...should I cancel my mic order?
If it were me, I would cancel and wait until we see how all this is going to shake out. I'm suspecting that all the newer UMIKs will require a re-calibration to meet the 15-20KHz +/-1 dB specs they advertise. This would mean return shipping/calibration/shipping back... you will most likely save yourself some trouble and time if you wait just a little before ordering one. Hopefully we should know something more by Thursday.
post #216 of 887 Old 02-12-13, 11:33 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
larft wrote: View Post
Just received my mic, it's serial #7000425 ...
Dang! that means they've shipped out at least 235 of these new UMIKs last week... that's going to be a lot of return shipping.
post #217 of 887 Old 02-12-13, 11:57 AM
Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
WOW!!! How long did it take to compile that??? Simply amazing and also very telling with just a glance. Something is very wrong with the calibration procedure on this second batch of UMIKs... neither half looks right. Basically every calibration file in the second batch looks to be bogus.

It would be nice if you could also re-post those graphs over on the manufacturer's forum so they too can plainly see what the issue is.
Thanx monomer.
It tooks about one and a half hour. I'm using Excel with macros to download the files automaticly. So it's very fast to get the 340 files.
I can set a link in the miniDSP forum. Good idea
post #218 of 887 Old 02-12-13, 01:03 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

dezibel-3: Nice work. Thank you for taking the time. Your charts really tell a story.

In case it is not already obvious to anyone, a UMIK-1 with serial number 7000190 or above is usable WITHOUT the calibration file installed in REW, for the purpose of getting rough measurement results, It would not be usable for critical or highly-accurate measurements at this time. When new calibration files are available for those UMIK-1's - calibration files known to accurately reflect the true frequency response for each unit respectively - then they will be useable for critical measurements with their new calibration files installed in REW.

Edit: Do not try to use one of the 7000190+ units with the calibration file installed. It will cause you to get unusable results.

Last edited by AudiocRaver; 02-12-13 at 01:13 PM.
post #219 of 887 Old 02-12-13, 01:23 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

dezibel-3: How hard would it be for you to provide a calibration file with the "average" set of data points from your first plot, for temporary use by newer UMIK-1 owners for taking non-critical measurements? Would that be of use to anyone? You could give it a totally bogus serial number so it could be easily identifiable. Just a thought. Anyone interested? Of course, dezibel-3, it is entirely up to you, and you have already gone above & beyond the call of duty.
post #220 of 887 Old 02-12-13, 01:30 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

I assume he must already have it... after all the graph was created in Excel and the average is displayed in red on the graph. I think it would be useful for taking rough measrements in REW but the reality is that at some point those of us who may require more accuracy will need to send the mic back to Hong Kong for a re-calibration.