MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 25 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #241 of 887 Old 02-13-13, 04:08 AM
Shackster

My System
Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
JohanWa wrote: View Post
I plotted three graphs using three different calibration files in the rangen 20–800 Hz(ignoring the first sample).
The graphs looked like random noise. I don't think scaling could fix the 20–800 region.
I don't think it would be scaling of the data that is already there in the .txt file, but rather the data that the .txt file was generated from, that has been incorrectly processed in some way. At least that's what Tony @ minidsp seems to be implying.

It'll be interesting to see once new calibration files come through whether it's just the 20-800hz range that gets changed or if its the 800+ , or both.

Despite the dodgy calibration file I've managed to use REW + Umik1 + minidsp to turn my horrible boomy, muddy, bloated Audioengine 5+ speakers into delightfully clean sounding "monitors". They had real issues with 100hz-300hz range booming away at +12dB which was easily sorted with REW's automatic EQ correction biquads which I then imported into minidsp:

http://i.imgur.com/JZKGH8C.jpg

Apparently the UMIK-1 is pretty accurate in that range anyway even without the cal file, which is probably why I'm hearing such a dramatic improvement in the bass

One question though, where should the Umik's volume be set in Windows 7 properties? The default is "10" on my laptop. Should I leave it at 10 or should it be at max? Does it make any difference to REW? I feel that my Umik is reporting levels in REW lower than they actually are. For example when the mic says 80dB SPL, it sounds very loud to me. I actually got sore ears from playing that sine sweep at 80dB, and REW kept telling me to increase it to 90dB!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 887 Old 02-13-13, 05:08 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

It is a relief to be getting a detailed response from MiniDSP, and a relief that fresh calibration files can hopefully be generated without having to return microphones for recalibration. No doubt they are aware that the solution will be scrutinized by the user community. I too am very curious to see what happens below 20 Hz, at those discontinuity points, and to see by looking both at individual curves and at an updated group plot of all the new curves together (we are all hoping that someone will be generous enough with their time to generate and post one) that all portions of the curves look like truly valid individually-measured calibration curves.
post #243 of 887 Old 02-13-13, 07:53 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Will have to wait till Monday or Tuesday next week for new files to be generated. Fingers crossed.

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/Marantz M7025
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D

post #244 of 887 Old 02-13-13, 11:42 AM
Shackster

where can I find a pdf document that clearly explained the complete REW set up with umik-1. I found it yesterday but did not save it. I have spent over 30 mts to find it today to no use.

can some one point me in the right direction please.
post #245 of 887 Old 02-13-13, 01:22 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
JohanWa wrote: View Post
I plotted three graphs using three different calibration files in the rangen 20–800 Hz(ignoring the first sample).
The graphs looked like random noise. I don't think scaling could fix the 20–800 region.
I hear what you are saying and it would really be most unfortunate for everyone involved if that turns out to be the case... right now I'm hoping they can 'fix' the files by rescaling... but until they can actually talk to their supplier and get a look at those original calibration data, everything said so far about just using a simple script to re-scale the original data will fix the issue is conjecture on their part at this point, however it is the hope I am going to cling to until I can view those re-scaled files for myself next week.
post #246 of 887 Old 02-13-13, 02:25 PM
Shackster
Trike

Just got my mic. Same issue with the calibration file.
post #247 of 887 Old 02-13-13, 08:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

I missed delivery of mine today. Have to drive to post office tomorrow to take delivery.

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/Marantz M7025
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #248 of 887 Old 02-14-13, 07:21 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
ronnies wrote: View Post
where can I find a pdf document that clearly explained the complete REW set up with umik-1. I found it yesterday but did not save it. I have spent over 30 mts to find it today to no use.

can some one point me in the right direction please.
In the upper right corner of your browser (hope you're using Internet Explorer), click on the star, then click on History. You should be able to find it there.
post #249 of 887 Old 02-14-13, 01:07 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
...I too am very curious to see what happens below 20 Hz, at those discontinuity points...
Its interesting to note that in that first batch, all the mic response curves seem to do a dip at what appears to be around 20-22Hz... do you suppose that could be yet another measurement technique switch-over frequency? If so, then maybe when all the files were compiled someone just forgot to include the "below 20Hz" calibration measurement file data? (A probability I think not inconceivable given all the other compilation mess-ups... ouch! all this does not bode well for some one's start to the New Year when they get back to work on Monday.)
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-cf-umic-188a.png  

Last edited by monomer; 02-14-13 at 01:14 PM.
post #250 of 887 Old 02-14-13, 05:13 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
Its interesting to note that in that first batch, all the mic response curves seem to do a dip at what appears to be around 20-22Hz...
Have you looked at the vertical scale on the graphs? The "dip" is about 0.15 dB...