MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 26 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #251 of 887 Old 02-14-13, 06:26 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
HifiZine wrote: View Post
Have you looked at the vertical scale on the graphs? The "dip" is about 0.15 dB...
Yes but size of the dip is not really relevent to the phenomenon... Every single line that I can clearly decipher has the exact same slope dip in the exact same place by the same amount... more than mere coincidence don't you think? Nowhere else on those graphed lines do I detect this type of universal behavior in unison. How would you explain this universal behavior amoung so many mics with differing response curves?

Last edited by monomer; 02-14-13 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 887 Old 02-14-13, 09:11 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
HifiZine wrote: View Post
Have you looked at the vertical scale on the graphs? The "dip" is about 0.15 dB...
Coincidentally the "dip" is only 0.35dB on my [botched] calibration file.
post #253 of 887 Old 02-15-13, 06:23 AM
Shackster

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has ordered the mic from the UK and if so how long customs took to clear the package? Mines been there a week now and the tracking from SpeedPost still states pending customs inspection. Not sure who deals with the transit of the mic from customs to my delivery address, guessing it would be a national courier such as ParcelForce. Also did anyone get charged customs duty? If so how much was it? Don't want to have to pay much more..wishing I had bid on an ebay item now!

Cheers

post #254 of 887 Old 02-15-13, 09:17 PM
Shackster

Has this issue with the new mic resolved. I was looking forward to buy a UM1-K mic..
post #255 of 887 Old 02-15-13, 09:39 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

A representative of miniDSP has responded over on the manufacturer's website forum with an explanation of the error and assures it is just a simple script fix away... however it won't be available until next week sometime when their supplier gets back from a week long holiday (for Chinese New Year). There is some skepticism that the 'fix' may take more than a simple script to correct but no one (including the miniDSP tech) really knows anything for sure at this point in time... in fact, we won't really know anything until the updated corrected files are online to be viewed and downloaded. I'd suggest waiting 'til next week (probably by mid-week) and see what the scuttle-butt is by then.

Last edited by monomer; 02-15-13 at 09:55 PM.
post #256 of 887 Old 02-15-13, 10:53 PM
Shackster

Monomer, thanks for your reply mate. I really appreciate you explain that well.
Have another quick question...

I have a Tuba HT (THT subwoofer), and looking forward to calibrate it. The speakers are Def Tech Mythos ST lineups.
And i am beginning to understand the eq process using rew.
However can someone guide me to a fantastic simple beginners guide to eq'ing using UM1K-1 and miniDSP.
What minidsp is ideal for me.
post #257 of 887 Old 02-16-13, 03:45 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
Yes but size of the dip is not really relevent to the phenomenon... Every single line that I can clearly decipher has the exact same slope dip in the exact same place by the same amount... more than mere coincidence don't you think? Nowhere else on those graphed lines do I detect this type of universal behavior in unison. How would you explain this universal behavior amoung so many mics with differing response curves?
Agreed, it does seem indicative of there being some stitching together of portions of the curve at that point. It makes you wonder, if the offset is the same for all samples, why is there any offset it all? Unless there is a known sensitivity difference between test beds being accounted for. Not a big concern, but a curiosity, and something to keep an eye on.
post #258 of 887 Old 02-16-13, 10:07 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Agreed, it does seem indicative of there being some stitching together of portions of the curve at that point. It makes you wonder, if the offset is the same for all samples, why is there any offset it all? Unless there is a known sensitivity difference between test beds being accounted for. Not a big concern, but a curiosity, and something to keep an eye on.
Though small, its mere existence does give me hope that there actually exists a calibration file for the below 20Hz response that somehow missed being incorporated into the "botched" calibration files for the seond batch of UMIKs we now have... meaning that the whole freq range (this time starting from at least 15Hz) can be properly recreated from the original measurement data. I really wish I understood the mic calibration process better.

Last edited by monomer; 02-16-13 at 10:52 AM.
post #259 of 887 Old 02-16-13, 10:29 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
MANswers wrote: View Post
...And i am beginning to understand the eq process using rew.
However can someone guide me to a fantastic simple beginners guide to eq'ing using UM1K-1 and miniDSP...
Though I have been using REW for quite a few years now, I'm just a novice when it comes to miniDSP... in fact, mine should be delivered today, (said with fingers-crossed). I read all the info I could find on the manufacturer's website and carefully read the datasheets they made available and viewed the YouTube videos (there are only two put out by miniDSP). Soon after purchase of the plug-in (4-way advanced) I downloaded it and played with it... I think this is going to be easy to manipulate but because of its amazing flexibility, I predict it will be quite time-consuming and complex to get my system to optimum in-room response over large area because of my particular situation (MY SITUATION: 4 subs total, two mid-bass units and two-ULF units needing first to deal with cross-over points between subs and then to get the best compromise of in-room response over 8 seated locations consisting of adjustments to gain, phasing/delay, parametric EQing, and judicious sub placements... with each change confounding the others). However I believe for most situations, especially with a single sub, it will be a snap...
Quote:
MANswers wrote: View Post
...What minidsp is ideal for me.
Here is a posting I wrote on another forum trying to help someone else with a similar question understand how to chose a miniDSP and a plug-in...

Using my meager knowledge of these devices/systems I will try to simplify the process of selection for you:

1)What do you want to accomplish? First you must have a clear idea of what exactly it is you're intending to do and be able to visualize the steps you are going to take to do it (paying attention to the order in which you are planning to do them)

2)Select the Hardware. Decide on how many inputs and how many outputs this is going to require. Now you should be able to select the appropriate basic miniDSP module... also if you have Pro equipment then select a 'balance' module otherwise 'unbalanced' should do. Select it as a "kit" if you are going to physically house this device (usually within a larger enclosure... maybe inside a speaker cabinet? etc) otherwise you'll want to choose it as an "in a box" model. Don't worry about Rev A or B as these can be changed by an internal jumper later if necessary... this just switches the maximum input level (sensitivity) from .9Vrms to 2.0Vrms.

3)Finally select a plug-in. This is the programming that allows you to access the power of the circuitry of the DSP. If you selected a 2X4 miniDSP module (which I think will suffice for most situations involving multiple subwoofers... 4 or less that is) then either the 2.1-way or the 3/4-way plug-in should be your only choices for sub(s) control. The 2.1 plug-in should work in most instances where you'll need to use two separate inputs (like involving a left and a right channel) in conjunction with your sub(s)... having 2 outputs dedicated to each (left and right channels) while the other 2 outputs feed a sub or two. The 3/4-way is more applicable when you need lots of individual control for each output and not so much on the input side (like feeding it the LFE from a receiver say). Select the "Advance" version if you intend to use REW to configure the biquad values of the parameteric EQ for you.

Bottom line here: I can see where in the vast majority of situations a 2X4 miniDSP with a 4-way advanced plug-in would be just the ticket.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by monomer; 02-16-13 at 10:55 AM.
post #260 of 887 Old 02-16-13, 01:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

I also hope they can recreate the original file measurement. I suspect we will hear some feedback by mid next week although their website is saying Monday. Fingers crossed.

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/Marantz M7025
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D