MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 28 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #271 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 09:33 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

dezibel... big thanks for doing that. Makes me feel better about things now that the new calibration files are more normal looking.
Quote:
dezibel-3 wrote: View Post
...What is very interesting all files have zero dB at 990 and 1002 Hz...
I'm assuming all these mics were normalized at 1kHz (which was another step they failed to do on the original calibration files). My new calibration file has values totally different from the original one I downloaded... must have been due to the normalization process. They definitely look a LOT better now anyway... I believe (probably on Thursday) I'll compare my UMIK with its new calibration file to my EMM-6 with its calibration file and see how closely they both agree. If I'd known that the calibration file was going to just end at 20Hz, I would not have bothered to purchase this UMIK as my EMM-6 already does that.... sigh. It's bad when the specs change AFTER you purchase.

Last edited by monomer; 02-18-13 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 10:26 AM
Shackster

monomer have you planned to compare the two mics with a measurement or just compare the cal-files?
If you make a measurement I'm very nosey about the results.
What do you want to measure at these low frequency under 20 Hz?

Edit: miniDSP has updated the UMIK-1 datasheet (20 HZ- 20 kHz)

Last edited by dezibel-3; 02-18-13 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Datasheet update
post #273 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 10:54 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

I was thinking about nearfield measurement of one of my subs... most likely the Rythmik (has a spec of 14Hz -3dB) also maybe a system measurement taken in our basement theater.

Here is one I took last month using the EMM-6 to get an idea of the in-room response of a new sub I'd just built.
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-sub-20inroom-20response.jpg  

post #274 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 11:48 AM

I've been following this thread for a month, and I'm still not sure if I should pick up this mic or not. If I wanted to buy a mic tomorrow, should I get this? Or maybe an SPL meter and an EMM6 or ECM8000 instead?
post #275 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 02:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
dezibel... big thanks for doing that. Makes me feel better about things now that the new calibration files are more normal looking. I'm assuming all these mics were normalized at 1kHz (which was another step they failed to do on the original calibration files). My new calibration file has values totally different from the original one I downloaded... must have been due to the normalization process. They definitely look a LOT better now anyway... I believe (probably on Thursday) I'll compare my UMIK with its new calibration file to my EMM-6 with its calibration file and see how closely they both agree. If I'd known that the calibration file was going to just end at 20Hz, I would not have bothered to purchase this UMIK as my EMM-6 already does that.... sigh.It's ba when the specs change AFTER you purchase.
Matter of interest where was your EMM-6 calibrated?
post #276 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 05:02 PM
Shackster

Sorry if this is a little off topic but can somebody tell me where to point the mic when measuring. Ceiling, at speaker being measured or in the middle of the front wall between speakers. All at ear level of coarse.
post #277 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 07:19 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Matter of interest where was your EMM-6 calibrated?
Bought it from PartsExpress and it has its own downloadable calibration file keyed to the mic's serial number... very similar to the way this UMIK is sold. Sadly its calibration file too only goes down to 20Hz even though its response range is advertised as being 18Hz to 20kHz... thus it is also misleading. Its only $48 but after purchasing a pre-amp it comes to about the same money in the end.

Last edited by monomer; 02-18-13 at 07:27 PM.
post #278 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 07:26 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Jairus wrote: View Post
I've been following this thread for a month, and I'm still not sure if I should pick up this mic or not. If I wanted to buy a mic tomorrow, should I get this? Or maybe an SPL meter and an EMM6 or ECM8000 instead?
I'm not sure anybody could or should tell you which mic to get... it would depend upon so many personal factors... such as budget, needs, requirements, function, expectations, etc. I think most here are purchasing the UMIK simply for the ease of integration with REW. For anyone new to REW the UMIK might represent the least frustrating way to get up and running.

Last edited by monomer; 02-18-13 at 08:22 PM.
post #279 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 08:08 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
dezibel-3 wrote: View Post
...miniDSP has updated the UMIK-1 datasheet (20 HZ- 20 kHz)
They also tightened up the tolerance from "+/-1dB" bringing it down to a more reliable "+/- .5dB with calibration file" almost as if to insinuate that they now have better reliability and confidence in their measurements, yet I was told just this morning that anything below 20Hz was no longer considered reliable. Still as of this moment, the first batch of UMIKs are showing calibration files that go all the way down to 4.6Hz, and yet apparently this latest batch of UMIKs does not have calibration files that can be trusted below 20Hz even with the supposedly greater accuracy now being claimed at and above 20Hz. I'm sensing some contradictions... I'm getting a feeling that some of the explanations that were given out by miniDSP are possibly not the complete story.

Last edited by monomer; 02-18-13 at 08:28 PM.
post #280 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 08:51 PM
Shackster

My System

As I suspected, the new calibration file has made practically no difference for me:

http://i.imgur.com/IHKuYKY.jpg