MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 29 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #281 of 887 Old 02-18-13, 11:00 PM
Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

I decided to go the safer route and cancelled the UMIK-1 order I placed on Friday (it was not shipped yet so cancellation was easy).

I have ordered a calibrated UMM-6 from cross-spectrum labs instead. I will get unique calibration data down to 5 Hz and the price is almost the same.

The only down side is that it will require manual SPL calibration which should be ok since I already have a RS SPL meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 12:00 AM
Shackster

My System

Hi all,
This is is my first post here but I've tried to get a bit of an education reading posts for the last week.

I just ordered a MiniDSP 4x10 and the Umik-1 mic. I've got to say I'm pretty excited about all of this. I can already see it's going to keep me busy.....in a good way.

A couple weeks ago I did my first ever recap/rebuild on a SAE 2600 and enjoyed the whole process. This will be my first venture into using an active crossover. I am eager to move my hobby/passion in this direction.

I've downloaded and installed the latest version of REW so I'm good to go with that. Next I'll download the "plug-in" software for the miniDSP.

I do have a couple questions though. I read the included USB cable is pretty short. Will it effect the readings if I use a longer cable? Is ten feet too much?

Also, are both ends of the USB cable standard USB....one male end and one female end?

Thanks
-Rob
post #283 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 01:32 AM
Senior Shackster

Hi Rob, I've been using a 4 m cable (13 ft) without problem. The connector on the mic end is a "mini B" connector - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...cro_connectors
post #284 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 01:38 AM
Shackster

My System

Thanks for the info I appreciate it.
post #285 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 03:27 AM

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
I'm not sure anybody could or should tell you which mic to get... it would depend upon so many personal factors... such as budget, needs, requirements, function, expectations, etc. I think most here are purchasing the UMIK simply for the ease of integration with REW. For anyone new to REW the UMIK might represent the least frustrating way to get up and running.
I'm looking for something to help get me started on making my room sound better for a nearfield monitor music production setup. I want to get some decent measurements so that I can start figuring out what kind of treatment/etc I need to be looking at. I haven't used REW before, which is why I was looking at the UMIK-1 for ease of setup, but I don't want to buy something if it's being shipped with bad calibration data or is otherwise sketchy due to quality control issues.
post #286 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 03:53 AM
Elite Shackster

Depends on how much you are in a hurry, wait for the UMIK file issues to settle down or order a UMM-6 from Cross Spectrum
post #287 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 04:02 AM

I would need to also pick up an SPL meter if I get the UMM-6, right?
post #288 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 05:00 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Jairus wrote: View Post
I would need to also pick up an SPL meter if I get the UMM-6, right?
If you need your plots to reflect the actual SPL at which the measurement took place, yes. If you only need relative frequency response, no.
post #289 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 05:19 AM
Shackster

Would anyone be kind enough to post a near-field measurement comparison between the UMIK-1 with updated calibration file against another calibrated mic?
post #290 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 05:38 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
satbirbains wrote: View Post
Would anyone be kind enough to post a near-field measurement comparison between the UMIK-1 with updated calibration file against another calibrated mic?
I could, but I think it's become pointless, there's too much jostling and weird agendas going on now. It's a $75 microphone for goodness sake! PM me if you really need something specific and why.