MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 30 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #291 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 04:50 AM
Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Fair enough, the only reason I asked was for peace of mind of the mic's accuracy combined with being intrigued how it held up against other mic's! Although the total price for me was much higher than the $75 product price when also including shipping, customs tax and courier handling fees, basically double!

Having just started looking at room measurements this debacle threw me a little, however if you are happy with the microphone, I'm sure I will be to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 10:37 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Rob41 wrote: View Post
I read the included USB cable is pretty short. Will it effect the readings if I use a longer cable? Is ten feet too much?
Quote:
HifiZine wrote: View Post
I've been using a 4 m cable (13 ft) without problem.
I've been using the supplied 1.5m cable + a 3m USB extension cable (total = 4.5m) without issue. I have compared measurements with and without the extra 3m extension cable and there was no difference. However I did look into it and apparently the USB specification says it's not designed for cable lengths greater than 5m, so I would keep that in mind, otherwise you could get signal degradation which could affect your measurements.

I also did another test with HDMI audio out from my desktop PC vs my laptop's 3.5mm analogue out, expecting the HDMI to provide a better signal due to it being digital. To my surprise I found both were measuring identically, except for the 0-30hz range which is ~3dB stronger from the laptop.

I guess if you're looking to calibrate the very low bass range in the 0-30hz range you might want to get a mic with calibration data in that range, as well as using a digital audio signal.
post #293 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 11:40 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
sonic_blue wrote: View Post
I've been using the supplied 1.5m cable + a 3m USB extension cable (total = 4.5m) without issue. I have compared measurements with and without the extra 3m extension cable and there was no difference. However I did look into it and apparently the USB specification says it's not designed for cable lengths greater than 5m, so I would keep that in mind, otherwise you could get signal degradation which could affect your measurements.

I also did another test with HDMI audio out from my desktop PC vs my laptop's 3.5mm analogue out, expecting the HDMI to provide a better signal due to it being digital. To my surprise I found both were measuring identically, except for the 0-30hz range which is ~3dB stronger from the laptop.

I guess if you're looking to calibrate the very low bass range in the 0-30hz range you might want to get a mic with calibration data in that range, as well as using a digital audio signal.
Thanks sonic. I'll pick up a 4 or 5m cable before it arrives. I think the UMIK-1 (and miniDSP 4x10 HD) is going to work out just fine for my needs.

post #294 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 12:48 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Jairus wrote: View Post
...but I don't want to buy something if it's being shipped with bad calibration data or is otherwise sketchy due to quality control issues.
Originally the calibration files had a number of issues but much of that has apparently been resolved... I'd give it a few days to make sure no one has found any issues with the corrected files. However don't expect to have accurate values below 20Hz since this is where the calibration values end and most files are beginning to show a large dipping trend starting just prior to that (as can be seen on this graph from a few postings back). The dipping trend is only a problem if one were attempting to add approximations of corrections below 20Hz to the txt file by trying to anticipate the trend.

Now it seems someone has noticed a curiosity with these new files... all the sensitivity factors are identical (-21.1 dB) across all the newly corrected calibration files, yet sensitivity factors does vary, as one might expect, across the calibration files from the first batch of UMIKs. Why do the values for the first batch vary and yet not for the second batch? For now I guess the jury is out on how much of an issue this will turn out to be for some... still with all that said I think the UMIK might work well for what you're expecting to do.

A RANT CONCERNING MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE SO FAR:
My only beef is how this all has so far played out for me... I already had a mic that I trust to 20Hz. What I was specifically looking for was a mic that would offer some degree of accuracy to 15Hz (by virtue of having a calibration file that goes that low)... I THOUGHT that was going to be this UMIK because of its published specs (15Hz-20kHz +/-1 dB) and because the calibration files of the first batch of UMIKs went down to 4.6Hz... every indication was that's what I was buying for $95. However AFTER I purchased my UMIK, first there's a mistake in the calibration file, then even after the corrected file is released instead of including sub 20Hz values into the calibration file they decide to change the published response specs on their website on the low end from 15Hz up to 20Hz. I specifically purchased the UMIK for the below 20Hz response and two weeks after my purchase they simply change the specs because they no longer are able to obtain reliable data (that was their official response... I now have my own ideas as to real reason they changed the spec from the first batch). I'm sorely disappointed with the way they conduct their business dealings with innocent customers. Regardless of whose fault those mistakes were, one thing is known for certain, IT WAS NOT THE CUSTOMER'S FAULT. The fact that this is only a $95 (includes shipping) mic does not excuse the way this manufacturing quality issue has played out. Hindsight tells me I would have gotten what I wanted had I purchased a UMM-6 from cross-spectrum... they are nearly the same price (after including the shipping) and their specs and their calibration files are consistent and proven.

Last edited by monomer; 02-19-13 at 04:12 PM.
post #295 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 01:14 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
HifiZine wrote: View Post
...too much jostling and weird agendas going on now. It's a $75 microphone for goodness sake!...
I can't figure out your connection to miniDSP but you keep apologizing for them both over here and over there. Your rational keeps boiling down to the same thing... 'what can you expect for a $75 mic?' I expect what they promise to deliver, no more but no less. A spec of 15Hz to 20kHz +/-1dB WAS their published specification... I was just the poor sucker who believed it. According to you, if it doesn't deliver what the manufacturer promises, its somehow the customer's fault for not taking the price into consideration and thus be willing to accept something less than what was promised. There are no agendas, only a history of events.
post #296 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 02:03 PM
Senior Shackster

Sorry, just trying to help... my bad.
post #297 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 02:17 PM

Hi

I read a lot about Umik-1 lately and I have received mine 1 week ago and made some measurements. Can anyone clarify to what extend measured results are reliable now? I am not interested in measurements <20 Hz.

I input my mic in Audio DAW and I receive nearly no signal from the mic (Recording my Speakers).
The Windows mixer is already 100% Is the mics sensitivity THAT bad?

Cheers Thomas
post #298 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 02:31 PM
Shackster

My System

I understand your frustration monomer ("bait and switch") however for me the experience has been very positive as the device has made such a dramatic improvement to the sound quality of my speakers.

Ok, so Minidsp messed up by 5hz on their specs. I guess you could ask them to return it for a refund, but I'm guessing the shipping costs make it unviable. I guess you could try just using the mic anyway and seeing if you are satisfied with the sound after calibration. Frankly, I've found there are such huge swings in frequency response due to room acoustics that all I can really achieve anyway is a general overall calibration of +/-5dB at 1/3rd smoothing. I guess if you have one dedicated listening position then you could really dial them in, but I've found that even moving my head as little as 30cm to the right or left can cause a certain narrow band of frequencies to become very loud or quiet. So, if the mic is within 1-2dB @ <20hz (which the calibration from the previous batch suggest) then I would imagine this should be satisfactory. Or, maybe not. Maybe you've already invested hundreds in room acoustics and want to eek out that extra 10% of performance?

Last edited by AudiocRaver; 02-20-13 at 06:11 AM.
post #299 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 03:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Jairus wrote: View Post
I would need to also pick up an SPL meter if I get the UMM-6, right?

I thought the UMM-6 had a sensitivity value in the calibration file?
post #300 of 887 Old 02-19-13, 04:05 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

sonic_blue...
Don't get me wrong, I realize mistakes and goof-ups sometimes happen and that's just a part of business but I do concern myself with is how the problem is resolved, that ultimately will tell me something about the company and if I'd be willing to do business with them in the future. I actually ordered a miniDSP from them (before receiving my UMIK) , it just hasn't been delivered yet (...today hopefully) and I'm pretty excited about it. Once I have it in hand and see that its working properly (and I have no doubt it will)... only then I will inquire directly to miniDSP to ask if they will accept a return of my UMIK on their dime (meaning they pay shipping) and I will explain my reason as due to false advertising at the time of the purchase... and see where it goes from there. (IF they do approve the return I intend to then purchase a calibrated UMM-6 from cross-spectrum).

I don't think the UMIK is a bad deal and expect it to be as good as my EMM-6, its just that I don't need it if I can't get a calibration file with it that goes below 20Hz. Its already down -2dB as it crosses 20Hz so without any calibration it most likely is easily off by over 2dBs and who knows how much more at anything lower. My basement theater is a highly treated acoustical space... do I absolutely NEED to tune my subs' low end response accurately? nope, I agree its not critical but why do I need two mics with the same range of accuracy? I just feel it was a waste of money spent being as I already own an EMM-6 that is calibrated to 20Hz and also have a RS digital SPL meter.

Last edited by monomer; 02-19-13 at 04:15 PM.