MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 32 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #311 of 887 Old 02-21-13, 02:08 PM
Shackster

I have taken some measurements with my UMIK-1 and am having some strange peaks at 45hz. I played a sine wave and recorded using the RTA function. The db reported with the calibration file loaded is 88db my spl meter reports 68db, could this be down to an incorrect calibration file or am I missing something? Is there any other tests I can do that would provide a better idea as to what is going on?

I have the latest stealth calibration file loaded.

thanks.

edit: it seems my SPL meter and the mic agree on the actual db down to about 150hz after that the two readings become further and further apart. Could it be my SPL meter is less sensitive at those frequencies at around 80db? or is the mic too sensitive?!
Attachments

Last edited by satbirbains; 02-21-13 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 887 Old 02-22-13, 03:25 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Luckily i have being watching this thread.

Due to poor customer service / communication (extremely important to a business) very unlikely i will be purchasing any MiniDSP products.

As i have said in a previous post we all make mistakes, but how we fix them is the key.

It comes down to all the new fixes, can they be trusted?

The Dayton UMM-6 from Cross Spectrum is looking a great option.
post #313 of 887 Old 02-22-13, 12:03 PM

Today I compared my UMIK-1 with a SPL meter and the Sens Factor in the latest calibration file is incorrect with exactly 6 dB. If I change the supplied Sens Factor of approx -22 dB to -16 dB my SPL meter and the UMIK-1 measure identically.

How hard can it be to get it correct from the manufacturer?

At least I now know what Sens Factor to use for my UMIK.

//Birdie
post #314 of 887 Old 02-22-13, 01:03 PM
Shackster

hmm, I've only found discrepancies at certain frequencies. I will re-test more thoroughly tonight or tomorrow. to make sure. my sens factor is 24.x but I will try at 18.x as well.
post #315 of 887 Old 02-22-13, 01:22 PM
Senior Shackster

Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been answered, but I see some problems have been mentioned over the last few pages. I ordered a UMIK-1 this AM and am catching back up on it. Are the new cal files accurate, or am I going to be running into issues that are known here but not yet addressed?

I'm a little flustered. I've been meaning to order one of these for abut a month and finally got around to it today, and now I am seeing a lot of distressing info.

My concerns are more about the accuracy >20 hz (lower would have been nice), and the above posters comments that it seems there are some issues where the sens, tilts, for lack of a better word. I'm planning on using this for set-up/integration/acoustic panel placement with REW (the built in support from REW for this was a primary motivation for the UMIK-1 one over other mic's). The mic will not be used for creating eq files in the foreseeable future, if that makes a difference.

Should I try to contact MiniDSP and cancel this order?
post #316 of 887 Old 02-22-13, 01:40 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

snowmanick... check your PM box.
post #317 of 887 Old 02-22-13, 04:55 PM
Shackster

Ok plotted some results, please excuse the graph! I only did from 40hz as I was measuring with my speaker and the response falls off massively below this. The biggest variance is between 40hz and 100hz with up to 14dB difference., although above this the differences are linear and a lot closer together..thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-graph.jpg  

Attachments
post #318 of 887 Old 02-22-13, 05:40 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Were you using the general compensation factor (correction table) for the SPL meter?
Actually thinking about it now... that would make the difference even greater wouldn't it?
post #319 of 887 Old 02-22-13, 06:30 PM
Shackster

Nope no correction factor. I just don't know what to make of it. Going back to what I asked before, a comparison of the UMIK-1 batch 2 vs another calibrated mic would help clear things up..right now I have no idea if my mic is accurate or not. No weird hidden agendas, just straight up easy to interpret results.
post #320 of 887 Old 02-22-13, 07:30 PM
Shackster
Tim

I have now sent two emails to Minidsp with no reply. The first at the beginning of February about the status of more order, and the second earlier this week with regards to the calibration files. No answer to either.

If anyone is in the market for an opened but never been used mic PM me. I would be willing to sell it for $60+ shipping. At this point I think I am going to get the Omnimic.