MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 33 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #321 of 887 Old 02-22-13, 08:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
ack_bak wrote: View Post
I have now sent two emails to Minidsp with no reply. The first at the beginning of February about the status of more order, and the second earlier this week with regards to the calibration files. No answer to either.
Not the best customer service / communication.

Quote:
ack_bak wrote: View Post
At this point I think I am going to get the Omnimic.
If you want the software as well thats fine, but i don't think they sell the mics seperately?

Another option is the Dayton UMM-6 USB MIc from Cross-Spectrum, although it doesn't a sensitivityfactor?

How does the UMIK form the zero gain required for absolute SPL?

Last edited by Phillips; 02-23-13 at 03:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 887 Old 02-23-13, 01:10 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Okay, FINALLY today I get some time to try out my UMIK and compare it against my EMM-6
They appear to have come from the same manufacturer... housings are nearly identical (small length difference due to the balanced socket on the EMM-6 makes it a tad longer). The plastic cases, mic holder, foam filter are all exactly identical.

The sensitivity factor on my calibration file appears to be exactly 6dB too large... IOWs after I changed it from -18.5026dB to -12.5026dB it matched the EMM-6 response curve level-wise as well as agreed with my digital RS SPL meter (using Pink Noise) so I'm sure that change in the sensitivity factor was due to the modification of the electrical sensitivity that miniDSP claims they performed on the second batch of UMIKs.

It appears my two calibrated mics read essentially the same as you can see from my REW measurements just taken in our upstairs living room (the real theater is in the basement... I'll be playing around in there later tonight hopefully). The green line is the UMIK and the blue line is the EMM-6... both were in the identical same place as I swapped them in and out of a mic holder at the end of a rigid boom mic stand. Bottomline is after my adjustment to the sensitivity factor I can now trust this mic's calibration file as much as I do my EMM-6... down to 20Hz that is. Hope this helps others.
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-umik-vs-emm6.jpg  

Last edited by monomer; 02-23-13 at 04:54 PM.
post #323 of 887 Old 02-23-13, 01:45 PM
Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
The sensitivity factor on my calibration file appears to be exactly 6dB too large... IOWs after I changed it from -18.5026dB to -12.5026dB it matched the EMM-6 response curve level-wise as well as agreed with my digital RS SPL meter so I'm sure that change in the sensitivity factor was due to the modification of the electrical sensitivity that miniDSP claims they performed on the second batch of UMIKs.
Hz that is. Hope this helps others.
I have noticed the error with the sensitivity factor for the latest batch. The devteam on minidsp says that they increased the gain of the microphone by 6 dB.
This should be the reason for decreasing the factor by 6dB.

This is a silly mistake because an increase of the gain should increase the sensitivity factor instead of lower it.

I highly doubt they increased the gain at all because that would mean that the current factor is 12dB wrong instead of the 6dB you measured.
I have written about this on the minidsp forum.
Thank you for measuring this. It helped me.

post #324 of 887 Old 02-23-13, 02:12 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
JohanWa wrote: View Post
...I highly doubt they increased the gain at all because that would mean that the current factor is 12dB wrong instead of the 6dB you measured...
Yes, that is my guess too at this point. I'm just amazed that they didn't even look at those calibration files BEFORE they began shipping hundreds of UMIKs out the door to customers around the world... you would have thought they'd have taken all of 20 minutes to spot check just one of these UMIKs from the new second batch as soon as they arrived in-house especially since there were engineering changes made as well as modifications to the test beds and that would have caught all these errors in time to correct them thus allowing miniDSP to preserve a professional reputation... instead we now know they are unresponsive to their customers in time of crisis as well as lacking in ordinary QCing inspections of incoming and out-going product... not very inspiring and to top it off, they have now made it known that changing specs AFTER the sell is an acceptable business practice in their eyes.

Last edited by monomer; 02-23-13 at 02:19 PM.
post #325 of 887 Old 02-23-13, 05:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
they have now made it known that changing specs AFTER the sell is an acceptable business practice in their eyes.
Really, what was there reasoning?

Some people would find this acceptable, but some not.
post #326 of 887 Old 02-23-13, 06:16 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Really, what was there reasoning?

Some people would find this acceptable, but some not.
That's just it, there was no stated reasoning, they just did it... so apparently this is an acceptable business practice. It seems sometime during manufacture of the second batch of UMIKs it was decided that any calibration data below 20Hz was no longer to be considered reliable, so calibration files just stop at 20.1Hz... however they continued to maintained on their website that these mics still had a tolerance spec of 15Hz-20kHz +/-1dB until I asked them point blank last week how could that be? Then they just changed the spec... which leaves me to wonder how the first batch of UMIKs was able to have reliable calibration data down to 4.6Hz... or were they lying about those also?

When Hyundai was caught touting overly optimistic MPG figures, it was not thought to be okay by the government though many of their customers didn't seem to mind... however when caught in the lie Hyundai owned up to it, apologized and made monetary reparations to their customers thus keeping much of their reputation in tact.

Last edited by monomer; 02-27-13 at 01:03 PM.
post #327 of 887 Old 02-23-13, 07:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
That's just it, there was no stated reasoning, they just did it... so apparently this is an acceptable business practice. It seems sometime during manufacture of the second batch of UMIKs it was decided that any calibration data below 20Hz was no longer to be considered reliable, so calibration files just stop at 20.1Hz... however they continued to maintained on their website that these mics still had a tolerance spec of 15Hz-20kHz +/-1dB until I asked them point blank last week how could that be? Then they just changed the spec... which leaves me to wonder how the first batch of UMIKs was able to have reliable calibration data down to 4.6Hz... or were they lying about those also?

When Hyundai was caught touting overly optimistic MPG figures, it was not thought to be okay by the government though many of their customers didn't seem to mind... however when caught in the lie Hyundai owed up to it, apologize and made monetary reprimands to their customers.

My opinion is that customers should be given the opportunity to return them, again some will, some won't?
post #328 of 887 Old 02-23-13, 11:27 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
My opinion is that customers should be given the opportunity to return them, again some will, some won't?
Agreed, but return for a refund of the full amount including shipping both ways... however, because paying shipping both ways will surely eat up any profit that would have been gained upon the resell, many a company will balk and refuse to eat the shipping costs apparently perferring to suffer damage to reputation rather than give up any profit margin at all. And definitely no company would pay the shipping if it would result in a net loss.

In the end I'm glad the calibration file for this UMIK is accurate enough (and the sensitivity factor can now be easily adjusted, though I'm sure miniDSP will correct it for all the files soon) so these mics have some value on the used market... meaning one can resell on eBay, etc and expect to get a reasonable price for it. If the calibration files had been totally bogus these UMIKs would have much less value. BTW, I never experienced any issue with a high noise floor... hope those guys follow up on that issue when they find out the answer.

Last edited by monomer; 02-23-13 at 11:41 PM.
post #329 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 02:12 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Agreed, but return for a refund of the full amount including shipping both ways... however, because paying shipping both ways will surely eat up any profit that would have been gained upon the resell, many a company will balk and refuse to eat the shipping costs apparently perferring to suffer damage to reputation rather than give up any profit margin at all. And definitely no company would pay the shipping if it would result in a net loss.

In the end I'm glad the calibration file for this UMIK is accurate enough (and the sensitivity factor can now be easily adjusted, though I'm sure miniDSP will correct it for all the files soon) so these mics have some value on the used market... meaning one can resell on eBay, etc and expect to get a reasonable price for it. If the calibration files had been totally bogus these UMIKs would have much less value. BTW, I never experienced any issue with a high noise floor... hope those guys follow up on that issue when they find out the answer.

Yes for people that would like to return them (the specs not what up to some peoples purposes, 20 vs 15hz), it would be probally cheaper just to send another mic and not return the old one?

I'm glad that you are happy with the mic.
Has there been any notification that the mic files have had problems, why i ask there doesn't seem to be very much posting vs the ammount of mics sold?
Customers could be out there using the mic not realizing the problem, and how easy it is to fix.

Last edited by Phillips; 02-24-13 at 02:38 PM.
post #330 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 05:07 AM

monomer thanks for your measurements, glad your findings matches mine.
Hopefully miniDSP will give there point of view on this and finally get the sensitivity factors
they published correct.

Last edited by Birdie; 02-24-13 at 05:14 AM.