MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 34 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #331 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 03:49 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

I've been struggling getting a decent sound card calibration generated and finally did, hopefully if I rerun the procedure it will be repeatable. So I started working with my UMIK-1 (Ser#70000425) and when I bring up the SPL meter I get this in a quiet room:

MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-spl.jpg

Does this look normal? Like I have a ~ -60dB noise floor in my room/circuit? I even put the mic in it's case and partly closed it up and get the same reading so it has to be primarily mic circuit noise. My handheld SPL meter reads from the UMIK-1 and I get similar readings from 3 different computers so it can't just be the electronics on the computer side. I guess this continues to raise the question of the accuracy of the sensitivity measurement in the cal file, if I edit my file from -21.1 to -16.1 I can get it to agree with my SPL meter for the "C" weighting.

Any thoughts out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 06:30 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
larft wrote: View Post
...Any thoughts out there?
First of all since you say your sensitivity factor is still -21.1dB, I'm going to suggest you go back and retrieve your calibration file again as they've changed all the sensitivity factors back to their original readings (meaning back when those files were bogus and needed rescaling)... backstory: somehow after rescaling the calibration files, all the sensitivity factors were set to -21.1dB this was a mistake and since then they've been changed back to their original values.

Your UMIK serial# 7000425 has a sensitivity factor of -19.0671dB according to your current calibration file (I looked it up)... I suggest subtracting 6dB from that value (due to yet another mistake they made), which will make it -13.0671dB and edit your file with that value in place, now "save" the file... you will then need to "Clear" and then "Select" the file again so that REW will be forced re-load the calibration file with the new sensitivity value in it. Now check your SPL reading again. What's it reading now? A quiet room should be somewhere in the forties.

You don't need to calibrate the sound card with a USB mic. How are you connecting your computer to your receiver? hopefully you're using an HDMI connection. The UMIK is essentially 'plug-n-play' once you get the calibration file with the corrected values in place.

Last edited by monomer; 02-24-13 at 07:43 PM.
post #333 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 06:50 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
...Has there been any notification that the mic files have had problems, why i ask there doesn't seem to be very much posting vs the ammount of mics sold?...
You noticed that too... Last week I went in search of threads about this second batch of UMIKs and found that most audio related forums on the Internet apparently don't have even a single posting concerning the UMIK at all. Of the forums that do, most threads have less than 6 posts with the last posting dated sometime in the December timeframe. It seems like the HTS is about the only place other than over on the manufacturer's forum that is even actively discussing these calibration file issues. Only later did I realize that more than two hundred of the second batch UMIKs were shipped out and I ask myself the same question you just did.
My experience over the years tells me only about 3-5% of forum readers ever post anything on a forum ever so... that would mean 8 to 12 posters should represent nearly everyone, you would think... that is IF they are reading this one thread because there appears to be no other thread even on this forum discussing these calibration file issues.
Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
...Customers could be out there using the mic not realizing the problem, and how easy it is to fix.
This I fear is probably what's happening... in fact because miniDSP has failed to notify new owners about changes in the calibration files, many are probably still using that first bogus calibration file they'd put up. I wonder if a thread should be started with a more revealing title to attract those individuals and update them

post #334 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 07:12 PM
Shackster

My System

Thanks for the info monomer...and others here. I will need to follow your instructions when my UMIK-1 mic and miniDSP 4x10 arrive in a week...hopefully.

This will be my first time using any of this software (mic or REW or plug-in) and I have no other measuring instruments or software. With that said, if there is any way I can contribute any further information to add to what is already known I will. Just let me know.
post #335 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 07:40 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
sonic_blue wrote: View Post
At the time of purchase were you aware that the specs for the umik-1 were 15hz-20khz? If so, then you can't really complain about not getting calibration data below 15hz. But you can complain about not getting data for 15-20hz. Whether 5hz is enough to warrant a refund is open to opinion though. If it was me and a customer was complaining about 5hz of calibration data I probably wouldn't be too thrilled about it ...
Interestingly I was looking at a UMIK-1 flier the miniDSP guys stuffed in the box together with my miniDSP module... apparently I was wrong, it was worse... what I thought was 15Hz turns out to be really 5Hz... yes, that's what the UMIK-1 flier has on it! It says 5Hz-20kHz +/-1dB and then they show an example calibration file that goes down to 4.6758 Hz. I must have envisioned seeing a 1 in front of the 5Hz. I am still awaiting a response from them as to what my options are.

Last edited by monomer; 02-24-13 at 08:12 PM.
post #336 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 07:52 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Rob41 wrote: View Post
...This will be my first time using any of this software (mic or REW or plug-in) and I have no other measuring instruments or software...
Tell me 'bout it... I too have a miniDSP which I won't be able to play around with until spring break (coming up in two weeks). However I have been using REW for years and I've also been playing around with the miniDSP plug-in and it seems simple enough to configure (in fact, that was the reason I purchased it). I too am in Michigan... Reed City, you anywhere close by? If you are I might be able to assist if you get too frustrated.
post #337 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 08:19 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
Tell me 'bout it... I too have a miniDSP which I won't be able to play around with until spring break (coming up in two weeks). However I have been using REW for years and I've also been playing around with the miniDSP plug-in and it seems simple enough to configure (in fact, that was the reason I purchased it). I too am in Michigan... Reed City, you anywhere close by? If you are I might be able to assist if you get too frustrated.
I'm in Cheboygan. Thanks for the offer but I ship out in three weeks and won't be back home until the middle of July. The miniDSP plug-in does look pretty simple and like you, was part of the reason I went with it. I've already made my rough adjustments for crossover points ans specific driver corrections. I should be in the ballpark already. Now I just need to wait for it to arrive.

Do they send you an e-mail when they actually ship it? I ordered my and haven't heard anything accept the order confirmation they sent. How long did it take for you to get yours monomer?
post #338 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 08:43 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Yeah, they will send an email from Customer Service-miniDSP and in it is a link to HongKong SpeedPost and your tracking number. Click the link and paste in the tracking number. You will get that email the day they ship and within a day it will leave Hong Kong and appear to arrive in the U.S. within hours but that I believe is because of it is actually crossing the International dateline (as they fly back into yesterday). In any case, at some point its handed off to either USPS or some other stateside delivery service. My UMIK was shipped on a Thursday and arrived by DHL carrier that Saturday. My miniDSP also left on a Thursday but was handed off to USPS on Monday, which was President's Day so they weren't moving anything... it was finally delievered on Wednesday and has been sitting on my desk ever since. My particular set-up is going to be quite complex... four subs (two mid-bass units and two ULF units... so they will need to be crossed over) and I will be trying to find the best compromise for in-room bass response across 8 seated locations in a two tiered layout. It actually sounds pretty good right now with just an Audyssey Multi-EQ calibration but I want even better if I can get it. I'm estimating it will take me several days to get it right and once I get started on something complex I don't like to lose my focus until I'm satisfied I'm finished... that's why I'm waiting for spring break, when I'm at home and the wife's at work.
post #339 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 08:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
I must have envisioned seeing a 1 in front of the 5Hz.
Maybe on page one of this thread?
post #340 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 09:58 PM
Shackster

Wait so I haven't read the whole thread I'm sorry. Did the first batch of mics have bogus cal file sensitivity?

And what are the dates for the first and second batches?

Thanks guys!