MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 35 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #341 of 887 Old 02-24-13, 11:32 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

monomer, thanks for the reply, I grabbed the new file.

4 decimal places on the sensitivity seems a bit over done like they should have rounded it but I'm nitpicking.

I'm just starting to learn REW and thought the sound card cal was necessary to get an accurate test signal output from the computer, especially if I have to use the analog out, at least the instructions from what I can see tell you that you need to do so, but I haven't read through all of them yet. Also, I'm playing around with several scenarios and I'll need analog and digital connections so I started there. Part of the problem I'm seeing with the USB mic now that I have it is the cable length limitation, my HTPC is cabled through the wall to the next room where my HT is set up, I'm beginning to wish I had gone the more expensive route of a phantom powered mic with a conventional cable, oh well.

Finding out that the cal files had changed again through this forum is a testament to how good this forum is but not so much for MiniDSP, it would have been nice to see an Email from them announcing the change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 887 Old 02-25-13, 01:45 AM
Shackster

Quote:
larft wrote: View Post
I'm just starting to learn REW and thought the sound card cal was necessary to get an accurate test signal output from the computer, especially if I have to use the analog out, at least the instructions from what I can see tell you that you need to do so, but I haven't read through all of them yet.
Depends on what you want to measure. If you, like me, play music through the same digital output that you are using in REW, you don't want to use a sound card cal file. You want to measure the entire sound reproducing system in this case.
Quote:
Part of the problem I'm seeing with the USB mic now that I have it is the cable length limitation, my HTPC is cabled through the wall to the next room where my HT is set up, I'm beginning to wish I had gone the more expensive route of a phantom powered mic with a conventional cable, oh well.
You can use a 15 feet USB extension cable. Is that not enough?
post #343 of 887 Old 02-25-13, 09:24 AM
Shackster

My System

phazer99,

Quote:
phazer99 wrote: View Post
Depends on what you want to measure. If you, like me, play music through the same digital output that you are using in REW, you don't want to use a sound card cal file. You want to measure the entire sound reproducing system in this case.
Yes the whole system is one of the things I want to measure although I would think that using the soundcard cal file would just help to eliminate the computer from the picture, if it's a digital connection it won;t make much difference however, analog from what I've seen is a different story. I'm interested in speaker building and another thing I want to be able to do is profile raw drivers as well as complete speaker systems so the more accurate the test signal the better

Quote:
phazer99 wrote: View Post
You can use a 15 feet USB extension cable. Is that not enough?
Barely and I'm at the maximum length, maybe over when adding in the length of the cable with the mic.

post #344 of 887 Old 02-25-13, 10:26 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
m R g S r wrote: View Post
Wait so I haven't read the whole thread I'm sorry. Did the first batch of mics have bogus cal file sensitivity?

And what are the dates for the first and second batches?

Thanks guys!
Whoa, let's not start any rumors! I have no idea if the sensitivity factor on the first batch was correct or not... however, there is something amiss in the second batch. The first batch of UMIK apparently sold out like back in December I think. All new orders were immediately backordered... finally when the shipment (second production batch of UMIKs) arrived, it was like 3 days before Chinese New Year celebrations and miniDSP personnel was so intent on filling all of the backorders and getting then shipped out before the weekend festivities started that no one ever even look at a single calibration file from this new batch. It was obvious something was really screwed up but no one saw it until I got mine and looked at the file. I'm no expert in these things but I could tell some things looked strange and so I inquire about it in this thread and I also began a thread over on the manufacturer's website to find out more about it. Well, things were very slow to being resolved due to Chinese New Years, which apparently is like a week long or so affair. A week later the calibration files got rescaled so they now make sense but then the sensitivity factor was changed to the same number for all files, which lead someone else to take notice and ask about that. Turns out that too was a mistake and they reverted it back to the first sensitivity values they had published... then offered an explanation for the confusion saying they'd made some sort of mod to the second batch of UMIKs to increase sensitivity by 6dB (I was told this was an engineering decision made in response to customer feedback from the first batch of UMIKs). Now it apparently seems those values are wrong... if my own comparison to my EMM-6 (and RS SPL meter using pink noise) is valid, then it seems no significant mod was made to the sensitivity of these UMIKs at all and if one were to simply reduce the current sensitivity factor by 6dBs they will arrive at what is the correct sensitivity for their UMIK. (Example, if the file currently states the sensitivity factor as -18dB then replace it with -12dB.)

I contacted them about this yesterday and I did get a response back from the DevTeam over at miniDSP (took less than a day) and though the question of them accepting a return from me was sidestepped (not a complete surprise to me) they did offer more explanation about my specific concern with the missing values below 20Hz... hopefully we are still working on a solution from my particular situation. They also admitted that they are aware that there is something wrong with the current sensitivity factors in those files and said the mic's manufacturer was looking into it and it would be resolved very soon. I responded by thanking them for the fast and curteous response and also suggested that after they correct the sensitivity factor that they then send out an email to every owner of a second batch UMIK notifying them of a new updated file replacing the one they downloaded. Hopefully this will end the 'excitement' of the last two weeks concerning those crazy bogus calibration files and we can all get down to using the mic with REW.

Hope that takes some of the confusion out of it for you... its been a wild ride.

Last edited by monomer; 02-25-13 at 12:07 PM.
post #345 of 887 Old 02-25-13, 10:52 AM
Shackster

When using a UMIK-1, does the internal sound card need to be calibrated prior to using REW?
post #346 of 887 Old 02-25-13, 12:01 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
brausch1 wrote: View Post
When using a UMIK-1, does the internal sound card need to be calibrated prior to using REW?
I haven't yet received mine, but from what I've read calibrating your sound card is not necessary with this mic.

I'm sure others with first hand knowledge will let you know for sure.
post #347 of 887 Old 02-25-13, 12:02 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
brausch1 wrote: View Post
No, its essentially a "plug-n-play" operation. If you can, I suggest you use an HDMI connection from computer to receiver.
post #348 of 887 Old 02-25-13, 12:04 PM
Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
No, its essentially a "plug-n-play" operation. If you can, I suggest you use an HDMI connection from computer to receiver.
Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't sure if my soundcard would be processing information, hence the need for calibration. My laptop doesn't have an HDMI port, so I will need to use the headphone out.
post #349 of 887 Old 02-25-13, 12:15 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
...Barely and I'm at the maximum length, maybe over when adding in the length of the cable with the mic.
I'm thniking all you need do is add a repeater right? They sell various lengths with "booster" or repeater built into the female end, I've even seen some with lengths up to 50ft, however I believe 15ft to be that max between repeaters so get two or even three 15-footers with booster and conect end-to-end.... check out eBay.
post #350 of 887 Old 02-25-13, 12:18 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Maybe on page one of this thread?
Ah, thank you... I was beginning to question my sanity there.