MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 37 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #361 of 887 Old 03-02-13, 01:30 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
8086 wrote: View Post
A better solution is to use a laptop.
I have a laptop (actually its my wife's) but its so much easier and faster to just use my HTPC... plus the HDMI is already connected to my AVR. The 10-footer is all I need to reach the furthest listening positions. I purchased this 15-footer with repeater for an entirely different purpose (to extend a USB lan card for better reception) but as long as I have it here why not compare the two and see if it would be a workable solution for others?

Last edited by monomer; 03-02-13 at 01:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 887 Old 03-02-13, 09:24 AM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
I have a laptop (actually its my wife's) but its so much easier and faster to just use my HTPC... plus the HDMI is already connected to my AVR. The 10-footer is all I need to reach the furthest listening positions. I purchased this 15-footer with repeater for an entirely different purpose (to extend a USB lan card for better reception) but as long as I have it here why not compare the two and see if it would be a workable solution for others?
No reason not to and by all means, show us some results.

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #363 of 887 Old 03-02-13, 10:39 AM
Ed

UMIK-1 and CM-140 side-by-side

I wonder if some of you more seasoned hands might chime in to comment... I'm a brand-new user to REW, with a brand-new UCA202 (dangling off an older XP SP3 laptop), a brand-new UMIK-1 (700-0410), and a brand-new CM-140 ('verified' model bought from Cross-Spectrum Labs).

Reading through various posts, and seeing some users expressing reservations about the UMIK-1 I was curious to see what results would come from running the same sweep through the same speaker at the same settings through the two mics... in this case, run sweeps with the UMIK-1 then with the CM-140 while touching nothing other than the connection to the laptop.

The two mics were placed one atop the other on a tripod about two meters away from the loudspeaker... a nothing-special old bookshelf chosen strictly for convenience (it was sitting there on the bench). Tip-to-tip, the mics were perhaps an inch apart. The CM-140 was connected via the UCA202 inputs, while the UMIK-1 was connected directly to the laptop via USB. The "off test" mic was physically disconnected in all cases. The 700-0410 cal file was used, then cleared before running the CM-140.

Two sweeps with the UMIK-1 (with cal file) then one CM-140, as above, from 58Hz to 14kHz with -nothing- altered other than the mic being used:

Other than the obvious liabilities of the speaker under test, am I comparing these two mics appropriately? The CM-140 shows as the green trace, difference is most noticeable (appx 3dB) at ~8kHz.

FWIW it was interesting to note that with the miniDSP cal file cleared, a sweep with the UMIK-1 is practically indistinguishable from the CM-140:

Just to repeat, there was absolutely nothing "optimized" nor "lab conditions" of any sort employed... on the contrary, this particular room has a lousy noise floor (multiple desktops and a switch running, all with fans) so the CM-140 is reading 64.something C scale 'slow' just sitting there on the tripod.

In the eyes of an REW/audio-testing newb, there appears to be fair correlation between the UMIK-1 and the CM-140 under the circumstances... enough, any way to recall the old Chinese proverb that "man with two clocks never know what time it is".

Does this answer anyone's concerns, or simply raise more questions? ...as noted at the outset, I've got about a half-hour total experience with all of the above so pls don't shoot the messenger

BTW "thanks!" to both miniDSP and Cross-Spectrum Labs for great service... the UMIK-1 was ordered on Saturday, 2/16 and delivered Thursday 2/21; the CM-140 order was placed on Monday, 2/25 and arrived here Thursday 2/28.

Ed

edit: - oddly, I can see two images above during "preview" but not once saved... will get to the bottom of it.

For those interested, the first photo is http://ironcreek.net/~ed/justcrap/mic%20comparo.jpg and the second http://ironcreek.net/~ed/justcrap/mic%20comparo2.jpg

Last edited by ejh2854; 03-02-13 at 10:48 AM.
post #364 of 887 Old 03-02-13, 11:41 AM
Shackster

My System

Welcome to the shack ejh2854!

Thanks for the info which will surely be of help to the more experienced. Hm, so both mics are either correct or both incorrect without using the UMIK-1 cal file. My UMIK-1 has not arrived just yet. I ordered mine on Monday 2/18. I think it's hit or miss on shipping time.
post #365 of 887 Old 03-02-13, 11:50 AM
Shackster
Tim

Re: UMIK-1 and CM-140 side-by-side

Quote:
ejh2854 wrote: View Post
I wonder if some of you more seasoned hands might chime in to comment... I'm a brand-new user to REW, with a brand-new UCA202 (dangling off an older XP SP3 laptop), a brand-new UMIK-1 (700-0410), and a brand-new CM-140 ('verified' model bought from Cross-Spectrum Labs).

Reading through various posts, and seeing some users expressing reservations about the UMIK-1 I was curious to see what results would come from running the same sweep through the same speaker at the same settings through the two mics... in this case, run sweeps with the UMIK-1 then with the CM-140 while touching nothing other than the connection to the laptop.

The two mics were placed one atop the other on a tripod about two meters away from the loudspeaker... a nothing-special old bookshelf chosen strictly for convenience (it was sitting there on the bench). Tip-to-tip, the mics were perhaps an inch apart. The CM-140 was connected via the UCA202 inputs, while the UMIK-1 was connected directly to the laptop via USB. The "off test" mic was physically disconnected in all cases. The 700-0410 cal file was used, then cleared before running the CM-140.

Two sweeps with the UMIK-1 (with cal file) then one CM-140, as above, from 58Hz to 14kHz with -nothing- altered other than the mic being used:

Other than the obvious liabilities of the speaker under test, am I comparing these two mics appropriately? The CM-140 shows as the green trace, difference is most noticeable (appx 3dB) at ~8kHz.

FWIW it was interesting to note that with the miniDSP cal file cleared, a sweep with the UMIK-1 is practically indistinguishable from the CM-140:

Just to repeat, there was absolutely nothing "optimized" nor "lab conditions" of any sort employed... on the contrary, this particular room has a lousy noise floor (multiple desktops and a switch running, all with fans) so the CM-140 is reading 64.something C scale 'slow' just sitting there on the tripod.

In the eyes of an REW/audio-testing newb, there appears to be fair correlation between the UMIK-1 and the CM-140 under the circumstances... enough, any way to recall the old Chinese proverb that "man with two clocks never know what time it is".

Does this answer anyone's concerns, or simply raise more questions? ...as noted at the outset, I've got about a half-hour total experience with all of the above so pls don't shoot the messenger

BTW "thanks!" to both miniDSP and Cross-Spectrum Labs for great service... the UMIK-1 was ordered on Saturday, 2/16 and delivered Thursday 2/21; the CM-140 order was placed on Monday, 2/25 and arrived here Thursday 2/28.

Ed

edit: - oddly, I can see two images above during "preview" but not once saved... will get to the bottom of it.

For those interested, the first photo is http://ironcreek.net/~ed/justcrap/mic%20comparo.jpg and the second http://ironcreek.net/~ed/justcrap/mic%20comparo2.jpg

Thanks for posting that. What about below 58hz?
post #366 of 887 Old 03-02-13, 12:07 PM
Ed

Re: UMIK-1 and CM-140 side-by-side

Quote:
ack_bak wrote: View Post
What about below 58hz?
With these speakers? ...I'd be sweeping up scraps of the woofer cone all afternoon
post #367 of 887 Old 03-02-13, 10:52 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
8086 wrote: View Post
No reason not to and by all means, show us some results.
Okay so here it is... I actually re-ran this comparison 5 times to be sure the results were repeatable. I used my UMIK in a mic holder at the end of an rigid boom on a mic stand with the 4 foot USB that comes with the UMIK attached to first a 10-foot USB extension cable (no repeater), save the measurement then I close REW swap with the 15-foot USB extension with repeater while moving nothing else and using the same USB port, open REW, measured and saved, then compared the two. Below is a capture of a typical comparison where MAGENTA is with the 10-foot extension without repeater and the TEAL is the 15-footer with repeater. As you can see the traces are nearly identical... So there is a very tiny and barely measureable difference (probably due to the added delay of the repeater and added 5-foot length possibly) but that difference is never going to be audibly noticable. So, anyone contemplating the use of a long USB extension with repeater (AKA booster circuit) draw your own conclusions...
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-without-repeater.jpg  

Last edited by monomer; 03-03-13 at 02:20 PM.
post #368 of 887 Old 03-03-13, 02:19 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Apparently all the online calibration files for the first batch of UMIKs has now been replaced with the same format as used for the second batch... also now ending before 20Hz.
post #369 of 887 Old 03-03-13, 02:57 PM

Problem solved!
Easy way.
post #370 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 08:24 AM
Shackster
Nemesis.ie

Quote:
takeokun wrote: View Post
Problem solved!
Easy way.
It sounds more like a step backwards to me - especially as many of us wanted the extension to 15Hz and the ~5Hz cal file looked even better. I'd not have bought if it had only been to 20Hz at the time.

So does this mean the original files (I'm in that batch) are "not right"/can't be trusted?