MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 38 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #371 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 12:16 PM

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
Nemesis.ie wrote: View Post
It sounds more like a step backwards to me...
Sure it its.
I was just being sarcastic.

Well:

1- Or the hardware isn't capable of being calibrated below 20Hz and so the first batch had a "non realistic" calibration data in that range;

2- Or the hardware is capable of being calibrated below 20Hz and someone "forgot" to calibrate the second batch below that frequency.

Looking at the specs in the UMIK-1 webpage it shows:
"Frequency response 20Hz-20kHz +/-0.5dB with calibration file loaded"

On the box of my UMIK-1 says:
"Frequency response 18Hz ~ 20kHz"

So maybe the most probably option is number 1 I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #372 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 12:58 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
takeokun wrote: View Post
...Or the hardware isn't capable of being calibrated below 20Hz and so the first batch had a "non realistic" calibration data in that range...
I'm pretty sure it CAN be calibrated below 20Hz, the only real question is one of tolerance. I will assume the tolerance opens up as the cal freqs go lower... leading to less reliable values being generated. Personally I don't care if the tolerance in those lower freqs are +/- 2dBs, its still gotta be better than nothing. Looking at the composite graph that was created on the first batch... it goes crazy below 20Hz meaning I sure would never be able to guess what happens to my UMIKs response down there, so I'd rather have some 'ballpark' numbers than a flat 0dBs (no correction). I DON'T NEED that tight +/- .5dBs really, just get me in the ballpark down there and I'd be good with that.

Last edited by monomer; 03-04-13 at 10:08 PM.
post #373 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 03:13 PM

Oh I see.
It's really makes sense.

post #374 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 05:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Is the mic capsule the same?
post #375 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 05:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Nemesis.ie wrote: View Post
It sounds more like a step backwards to me - especially as many of us wanted the extension to 15Hz and the ~5Hz cal file looked even better. I'd not have bought if it had only been to 20Hz at the time.

So does this mean the original files (I'm in that batch) are "not right"/can't be trusted?
Haven't they changed calibration companies, and that's the reason?
post #376 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 05:53 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Haven't they changed calibration companies, and that's the reason?
My understanding is they only changed something to do with the test bed to supposedly make it more accurate... the explanation was vague. Then they said they were changing the calibration file format of the first batch to match with the second batch as apparently that can be generated from the raw data, however specifics are lacking. Perhaps some one should ask over on the manufacturer's forum for a more detailed response?
post #377 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 08:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
My understanding is they only changed something to do with the test bed to supposedly make it more accurate... the explanation was vague. Then they said they were changing the calibration file format of the first batch to match with the second batch as apparently that can be generated from the raw data, however specifics are lacking. Perhaps some one should ask over on the manufacturer's forum for a more detailed response?

Matter of opinion, personally are you happy with the UMIK?

What held you back from buying the UMM-6?

Bit of confusion which one to buy on this site.
post #378 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 09:24 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Matter of opinion, personally are you happy with the UMIK?

What held you back from buying the UMM-6?

Bit of confusion which one to buy on this site.
Yeah, now that its gotten past the bogus calibration file and crazy sensitivity factor thing, it does seem like a good quality mic... its just that I wish they would still publish the below 20Hz stuff in the calibration files, even if they now think the data to be unreliable... I mean how bad can it be really? Its still got to be better than not knowing anything and having to go with no calibration values at all at those really low freqs.

To tell you the truth, I didn't really look very hard at the UMM-6 through Cross-Spectrum because I ASSUMED (my fault) that they would be nearly the same accuracy-wise and they both claimed to be making calibration file data available down to 5Hz... and I was really interested in getting the miniDSP for my subs, so I thought why not buy everything from the same company? Besides Cross-Spectrum mentioned something in their FAQ about the UMM-6 having a rather large noise floor compared to the EMM-6 (which I already have). The price difference never really made it into the equation at all for me... that small difference in price is just chump change really. And I guess it didn't hurt that REW had recently made the UMIK plug-n-play.

Right now the DevTeam and their supplier are looking into the below-20Hz data to see if they can suppy that data... IF they can include it into the calibration file I will be one happy camper and have no regrets for having gotten this UMIK.

Last edited by monomer; 03-04-13 at 10:10 PM.
post #379 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 09:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
Right now they are looking into the sub-20Hz data... if they can include it into the calibration file I will be one happy camper.

Interesting enabling to have <20hz data without having the mic there?

How accurate would it be, maybe better not to have that <20hz data at all?
post #380 of 887 Old 03-04-13, 09:55 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Interesting enabling to have <20hz data without having the mic there?

How accurate would it be, maybe better not to have that <20hz data at all?
I believe they got all the raw data off those test rigs from 5Hz on up, just like they did for the first batch of UMIKs. They may have realized (or may be they even got some complaints? I don't know) that data that low in the freq spectrum isn't going to be reliable to the same degree as the above 20Hz stuff so they then made the decision to not publish it. I'm just guessing here since they haven't said anything specifically about what actually prompted the decision to remove that data from the calibration files other than the manufacturer believes the data to be unreliable. To me, unreliable simply means a larger tolerance factor is more appropriate but what that is no one's saying just yet. Basically anything can become reliable if the tolerance is opened wide enough.

...on that composite graphing of all the responses from second batch of UMIKs (see below) do you see how much they are varying just above 20Hz... so imagine what's going on below 20Hz. Sure they are not going to be able to hold a +/-.5dB down there but surely its got to be better than say +/-2dB... I think I'd even be thrilled with a +/-3dB.
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-cf-umic-190-439.jpg  

Last edited by monomer; 03-04-13 at 10:06 PM.