MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 40 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #391 of 887 Old 03-14-13, 12:19 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Don't pay it! Something sounds mighty fishy about that... are you sure its not some sort of scam? I received my UMIK back on Feb 9 and later my miniDSP arrived on Feb 20 and I never got any sort of charges whatsoever... in fact, I've gotten (a lot of) stuff from Hong Kong in the past and have never been charged any kind of import fees or taxes ever. I think its bogus and I would inquire a bit further about it... and I too live in Michigan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 887 Old 03-14-13, 01:36 AM
Shackster

My System
If it shipped FedEx it might be a brokerage fee which they charge sometimes. I've received bills after the fact like that before. I prefer USPS because they only charge duties & tax. Easiest way to find out if its legit is to call FedEx. Use the number on their Webpage instead of what's on the bill as scammers are getting really god at this stuff.

On a side note I've yet to receive my mic. I bought it on the 3rd or something and while they did email me about the delay I have yet to hear back from them despite a request for a shipping update.
post #393 of 887 Old 03-14-13, 03:56 AM
Elite Shackster

Yep scammers are at a abundance.
Only way to find out is phone the oppropiate company without opening or clicking on a link.
post #394 of 887 Old 03-14-13, 10:57 AM
Shackster
Nid

My System

I've had Fedex send me bills afterwards for brokerage fees, but recently, they just call for a credit card number instead. I really give MiniDSP credit for getting my UMIK to Canada ( Vancouver ) and through customs, in a shorter timeframe than Canada Post can ship it from Vancouver to Saskatchewan! Canada Post really dropped the ball here..the mic has been sitting in Saskatoon ( about 90km away from here ) since yesterday morning I'm guessing it'll show up today though ( yay! Pat yourselves on the back Canada Post-or maybe punch yourselves in the face ) In any case, I'm excited to try REW for the first time!

**update**

I just picked up the mic from the post office. First impression, it looks/feels like a quality unit ( I have no previous experience with another mic, or any in room equalization/correction software, but the mic feels heavy and of good quality ). I can't wait to start learning..

Last edited by Nitrofreakman; 03-14-13 at 12:19 PM. Reason: **update**
post #395 of 887 Old 03-14-13, 01:13 PM
Shackster

My System

Just an update:

I called the Fedex number from the internet and was able to verify the invoice for "Duties, Tax, Customs, Other Fees" was in fact correct. Not a big deal having to pony up the additional $34.63 but I just wanted to be sure the bill was legit.
post #396 of 887 Old 03-15-13, 04:16 PM
Shackster
McStyvie

Just ordered the Mini DSP 2x4 and the umik-1 for my laptop and HT (5.2)...excited about this product.

People mention HDMI out on their soundcard...now, I have an HDMI out on my laptop...and can play video and sound through it, would that be sufficient? Soundcard is Realtek HD...

Also, would I just choose any hdmi in on my A/V receiver? I use a Denon 2309...

Thanks guys, and it has been a good read going through this thread!

Cheers,

McStyvie
post #397 of 887 Old 03-15-13, 06:15 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Yes, just pick any HDMI input and when you're ready switch your AVR over to it. Be sure to download your UMIK calibration file and also download one of the free USB ASIO drivers (here's a link to one ASIO4ALL is a good free universal driver) then start REW. Click on "Preferences" and on the drop down under Drivers, select ASIO and you should now see a button ASIO Control Panel (go in there and select your card)... you can now select individual channels (making a selection under "Output" and another selection for "Timing Reference Output" will allow you two channels at a time) Channel 4 should be your sub. Can't remember for sure right now but I think REW automatically finds the UMIK and selects it and loads the calibration file in for you... if not, you can just select the Mic/Meter tab (you're still on the Preference screen) and select the Z weight radio button and browse to the location of the calibration file and your done. Click on "Measurement" and enjoy... with REW you will begin to feel empowered as you start to discover so many things about your acoustical space and how your equipment interacts within it.

EDIT: Also if you should find you only have 2 channels to select from under Output then go into your sound card properties and change from stereo output to 7.1 channel sound. HDMI keeps it all-digital and makes selecting speakers and combination of speakers as simple as selecting from a drop-down.

I just got around to playing with my miniDSP yesterday (yesterday was the first free time I've had all to myself in weeks) and all I can say is WOW! is it powerful yet it's very simple to operate PLUS you can immediately verify every change right after you make it with REW... keep both programs opened at the same time and switch back and forth between windows, that miniDSP is AMAZING!

Last edited by monomer; 03-15-13 at 07:13 PM.
post #398 of 887 Old 03-15-13, 06:24 PM
Shackster
Nid

My System
I was up until the wee hours if the morning trying to figure this out..do I need to calibrate my sound card on my iMac to use the UMIK-1 with REW ? If so, do I just plug the headphone jack into the mic jack?

I've read so much that my head is going to explode lol. Thanks in advance.

Finally, a set of front speakers that I plan to keep! Now I understand what the fuss is all about..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #399 of 887 Old 03-15-13, 06:54 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

I've read several times on this forum that USB mics really don't need to have sound card calibration performed however if you really want to do it... if I remember correctly from the days when I was using my RS SPL meter, you loop line in and line out... you'll need adapters to isolate a single channel from the stereo jacks (I usually pick the right channel and then select it in REW) then you need to select the correct Output and Input in REW and that can sometimes be difficult to do (at least it was for me) try every combination Inputs and Outputs until the graph looks right (similar to the one in the help files).
post #400 of 887 Old 03-15-13, 07:34 PM
Shackster
Nid

My System
Oh buddy, I hope you're right..I would prefer not to have to do that( I would have to hits one kind of input interface to do it like you described )

The reason I thought I needed to do it, is because REW prompts me to do it when I push the 'Measure' button.

I would really like to skip it altogether but I'm not sure that my measurements would be accurate if I skip that step.

Finally, a set of front speakers that I plan to keep! Now I understand what the fuss is all about..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.